Simul-Satellite Gut Shots

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmt

Reaction score
Chassis:

Circuit:

Notice how its missing lots of components. This is the exact same circuit as a Mark III, just with less stuff. I am debating whether or not I should turn this iinto a real Mark III if that is possible. The smaller silver transfomer seems to be humming and vibrating. Just noticed this recently. Its noisiest directly behind the EQ. Nothing looks wrong, but then I dont know what to look for.

Normally you would find a small wedge shaped peice of wood hammered inbetween the choke (small silver tranny) and the power tranny to dampen the vibration. Your simul sat "could be" converted into a full MkIII but the cost and inconveinience would make it much more logical to simply trade it and a little cash for a ready to go MkIII. The simul sats. were limited in production which in a way will ehance it's collectability in the future. And besides they are great for using various preamps (studio pre, quad, triaxis, pod etc. )

There is a thin peice of cardboard underneath the choke transformer.

What would you say the value of this amp is?

I've got a Mark IV and a Simul-Saltellite head. I wouldn't mess with that head at all. It'll just destroy the value. I takes pre-amps very well - thats really its strength.
Your Simul-Satellite chassis is very different than mine. It looks like thats a Mark IV chassis! Mine only has two pre-amp tube holes - That one has five in the same places as my Mk IV. Also, there are extra holes in the rear of the chassis. I couldn't see the inside front. You my have an early model.
You didn't mention if it's making sound. If it works I wouldn't hack it!
It also doesn't have a fan which mine does.
It's a curious piece.

From the internal shots it looks to have a two prong fan plug on the far right of the chassis. The original Sat. schematic was drawn by hand and used the MK III power section. Since this thing is so early, it would have been prudent of Mesa to use a MK III chassis until they went into full production with a properly puched chassis. I'm not sure how long they used the MK III circuit board, but this thing is dated 2/14/91. I really appreciate the map of all the resistors and caps that are unused. They can really help out with MK III repairs or mods.

So my amp is based on the Mark IV as opposed to the Mark III? The serial number is ST0361, and yes its dated 91. It doeas have the two pronged plug and it does have a fan mounted below the power tubes. I am not sure what the smaller holes in the rear of the chassis are for, reverb footswitch perhaps? Is it wired for pentode? Seems like it is. I'm just trying to find out some more info about this amp, and th check that its in good shape.

dmt said:
So my amp is based on the Mark IV as opposed to the Mark III? The serial number is ST0361, and yes its dated 91. It doeas have the two pronged plug and it does have a fan mounted below the power tubes. I am not sure what the smaller holes in the rear of the chassis are for, reverb footswitch perhaps? Is it wired for pentode? Seems like it is. I'm just trying to find out some more info about this amp, and th check that its in good shape.

The amp is based on it's own preamp circuit and has the power section of the MK III Green Stripe. The chassis is from a MK III and has the holes for R2 and EQ/REV foot switches. The early MK IVA also used the same style metal chassis, but was drilled for all the new knobs and multiple switches and jacks on the back. It used front and rear face plates instead of power coating like the IVB.

So it is wired for Pentode in Class A? If I am right that is how the powersectoin of the Green Stripe is wired.

Awesome. I do have a pair of JJ EL34's aorund someplace, I should look again at how they sound. Those KT66's sound real nice too tho.

Just a quick note:
Funny, I am having the same amp with the same writings (same person!) ("Simul", "12AX7" etc.) on the pcb and the bottom. Serial No is STO453. I wonder if it is built in 1991? And second, I still do not know which Mark series it is the closest to (Mark I/II?)

-Stevie

M particular one is closer to the Mark III Green stripe, making the power section wired for pentode operation in class A and a larger head room. Ask someone like Boogiebabes about dating it.

Would you recommend that I send it to the Boogie Factory to get checked out?

Back