Running two heads into one cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyceW

Reaction score
I just bought a H&K Statesman Dual EL34 Head, and want to run it in tandem with my Triple Rec. I want to avoid having half the cab (Mesa Trad. 4x12) to each head, i.e don't want two speakers off when one head is deactivated.

Is there a way I can wire both these heads to run one mono cab, so whether they're both on or one is on the whole cab is being powered?

you would need some sort of amp switcher, running each of the head's loads into the amp switcher, one speaker cable out to one cab, and then using it to select between the two heads while running. I'm not entirely sure that it's possible, others may be able to help who have experience with amp switchers. Even if you did that, I don't think you'd be able to run both head signals into something and combine them into one mono signal to run both heads at the SAME time, but I could be wrong. I just run each of my heads into their own cab, that's the easiest for me at the moment.

-AJH

Put a dummy load onto both heads (or one head*). Go from the fxloop/sends from each amp, and run into a small mixer. Set the blend there. Output the mixer to another poweramp, *Or maybe use the return of one of the heads, and then hook up to your cab.

This is just what popped into my head after I read you wanting to use two heads at once for one cab. Not something ive seen done before though.

^Should be more than possible. Two things I need to stress, as I've thought about putting a rig like that together before.

-MAKE SURE YOU KEEP DUMBY LOADS ON THE CABS!

-IMO, having to buy a individual power amp to actually run this kinda negates the point. I think you'd seriously be better off buying a second cab. Cheaper, and simpler to wire up.

Best of luck!

Eric

What if he rewired the cab to run two speakers off of one input and two off of another? I don't know how well the sounds would work together in the same cab but I suppose that would be one way to do it.

Jerrick said:
Put a dummy load onto both heads (or one head*). Go from the fxloop/sends from each amp, and run into a small mixer. Set the blend there. Output the mixer to another poweramp, *Or maybe use the return of one of the heads, and then hook up to your cab.

This is just what popped into my head after I read you wanting to use two heads at once for one cab. Not something ive seen done before though.
This is the best way to do what you are asking but my opinion is that it would sound better, be easier, cheaper, and work smoother running both heads to a stereo cab. I know you said that you dont want half the cab off when you're running only one head but I say give it a try. You will need an A/B/Y switch anyway to split your guitar to two heads so get one more speaker cable and see how she sounds.

Yeah, I'm running the GCX/Ground Control already so I wouldn't need an A/B/Y. I just like the idea of having one head for one tone and another head for another. Oh well, cab time I guess!

i run an marshall jcm 2000 and a mesa f 50 into a dual rec 2x12, I have to use an AB switch though. If there was a way to do both at the same time, im interested in finding out how

I use a Mark V and Road King and had this struggle for a long time.

In the world of amp switchers, you can pay an exorbitant amount for a Mesa High Gain Amp Switcher with the recent rash of people selling theirs since they've seen how much they can get for it. Or you can get a Bradshaw. I purchased a Bradshaw. Although it's a little more expensive and limits me to one head at a time, it allows me to run the two heads into one cab, providing the load automatically on whichever amp isn't selected. It also gives me most of the benefits of the FX loops without actually using the FX loop (it has a line level output derived from the post power stage of the amp, so I can still drive FX, but also not worry about the overall master control, among other things)

I use a Custom Audio Electronics Amp Selector V.1, and I LOVE it, but they're not inexpensive.

caeswitcher002.jpg

caeswitcher001.jpg

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/products?view=product&prod_id=prod7

Latest posts

Back