Running two amps simultaniously -> Wich device needed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aart

Reaction score
Allright, I got the following situation:

I have a Mark IV running into a Recto 4x12 and a Crate BV150H running into a 2x12. I want to run them simultaniously because I like the extra grit I get from the crate.

I need a device to split my guitar signal, I don't need a switcher (if it does what I want its ok), just a cheap solution that keeps my signal intact.

I prefer a rackmount device. Does anybody have any suggestions? I can only find expensive switchers like the high gain amp switcher or sound sculpture/axess stuff that does a lot more than I need.

Edit: I prefer a splitter that is able to drive 3 amps (2 amps + tuner).

Thanks,
Aart

I run two amps constantly. A Rivera Venus 6, and a LSS. I like grit and clean at the same time. I run FX in the Rivera. I just use a Rapco A/B box. Maybe $100 now. I've had it for 15 yrs, probably $50 then. It works well for me...

If you want to run them both and can set it up to where you can change the channels with both footswitches, then all you really need is a pedal that can split the signal to stereo cleanly. Right now i run My Triple Recto and a Krank Rev 1 at the same time by splitting the signal with a Boss Chorus Ensemble pedal, and it works just fine. I just put the Krank footswitch under the Mesa one and click both buttons at the same time to switch between clean and distortion, or to solo boost them.

-AJH

All you need is an a/b/y box...stick in the rack, and you can press the button with your hand for you random times you actually want to change something.

I'm selling a WOBO a/b/y with tuner mute right now...AMAZING little box that has a built in ground lift too, which is a must to minimize noise IMO. I just ditched the dual amp setup, so no need for the pedal.

PM me if you're at all interested.

Eric

For this usage but also for other purposes I use a Roger Meyer A/B box : The Crossroads.

A, B or A+B output with 2 switches.

I don't remember the price

I works like a standard A/B box but it provides one isolated output. It means that the 2 outputs don't share the same ground. This feature is interesting because it prevents from having ground loop when using A+B.
Ground loops often happen when using 2 amps at the same time. The crossroads adresses this issue very well. I'm sure brands like Lehle do the same in their products. Hope this will help

your going to want something with a buffer so your signal doesn't load down to much and turn to mud!

Thanks for the ideas. I guess I'm going with a Lehle splitter then, they look allright and I can find them in some german stores. It has to be active though to keep the signal intact.

@Ibanez4Life: Thanks for the offer, but since I'm located in Europe it's a bit too much hassle for me to get something this small from the states.

maybe not depends on if the ground in both amps is at the same level. Also you will get loading on the pickups from each amps input stage. A buffered splitter would be better.

While we on the topic, any box that can send one guitar to 2 or more amps or 2 or more guitars into one amp? and doesn't alter the input's tone. thx. BTW the Lehle are expensive.

ja22y said:
While we on the topic, any box that can send one guitar to 2 or more amps or 2 or more guitars into one amp? and doesn't alter the input's tone. thx. BTW the Lehle are expensive.

http://www.roadrageprogear.com/abba.html

I haven't used one of their switchers, but i have a looper (that i built myself from a DIY kit) which is basically the same thing and it doesn't colour my tone. They are built about as simple as can be...high quality components, true bypass switches, a few wires and a couple of LED's. Very affordable and customizable if you want to add paint or graphics...i'm happy as hell with mine!

MF said:
ja22y said:

I haven't used one of their switchers, but i have a looper (that i built myself from a DIY kit) which is basically the same thing and it doesn't colour my tone. They are built about as simple as can be...high quality components, true bypass switches, a few wires and a couple of LED's. Very affordable and customizable if you want to add paint or graphics...i'm happy as hell with mine!

Looks solid and doesn't cost much. However w/ no isolation or ground lift, hum could be an issue when running 2 amps at the same time. I know that if you just split the guitar signal into 2 w/o buffer, the signal will be loaded down and will lose amplitude.
How does the LED works w/o battery or power, I didn't see it being mentioned? Any popping noise when stepping on the switch?
I think that it's propably great for looper but not so sure about spliter.

I'm surprised someone has said the cheaper alernative that is idiot proof and works great. Some sort of STEREO pedal like a chorus, flange, delay ect. You have two outputs to run to two amps.

ja22y said:
MF said:
ja22y said:

Looks solid and doesn't cost much. However w/ no isolation or ground lift, hum could be an issue when running 2 amps at the same time. I know that if you just split the guitar signal into 2 w/o buffer, the signal will be loaded down and will lose amplitude.
How does the LED works w/o battery or power, I didn't see it being mentioned? Any popping noise when stepping on the switch?
I think that it's propably great for looper but not so sure about spliter.

Any standard power supply will work (godlyke, 1 spot, etc). No 9v battery option though. I've never had an issue with popping on the looper, it's quite seemless.

Great decision on the Lehle. I've had the Morely, Radial Tonebone Switchbone, Voodoo Labs Amp Selector (this one was the most superior, if you're using 3-4 amps) and now I have a Lehle Dual. The Lehle is the cat's meow.

Latest posts

Back