running cables from guitar into preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Reaction score
You will loose a ton of signal running 2 18 foot cables.

A wah into the effects loop will sound like dung.

rabies said:
so what do the pros do (the ones who don't use wireless)???

Signal buffers (Axess BS2 for example) can help as well as active p'ups.

I guess you could use a DI Box to go from un-balanced guitar signal to a balanced signal for the long run and another DI Box to go back to unbalanced for the amp input.

Dom

rabies said:
well most pros don't use active pups...
Ever heard of EMGs? Chances are you have a bunch of albums with them. Especially if you're into metal and rock.

sam adams said:
rabies said:
Ever heard of EMGs? Chances are you have a bunch of albums with them. Especially if you're into metal and rock.

That EMG's are common doesn't negate rabies' point.

Rocky said:
sam adams said:
rabies said:

That EMG's are common doesn't negate rabies' point.
Well, More or less it does... I mean, he was trying to state that Actives are uncommon in the "pro" world. Whatever that means. And I just said that they are actually VERY common and used EMGs as an example because they're seemingly everywhere. That's not even mentioning all the other active non-EMG guitars out there. Duncans and Dimarzio's and others make active pickups. Good and bad.

Not trying to make it a big debate. Some people like passives, some like actives. A lot of people just try to downplay EMG's these days because of their own personal dislikes. I just don't see a statement like that actually being able to be validated. I could name hundreds of "pros" that use actives and hundreds that use passives. Actives are not even close to being uncommon in the world of pro guitarists. So statements like that are just sort of silly IMO.

I'm also not trying to talk EMG's/Actives up like they're any better than passives, I'm on both sides here. I have 2 guitars with EMGs. An RG with an 81/85 set for the super common EMG loaded super strat sound, and yes, it doesn't clean up well at all, because they werent designed to. Yet my Telecaster Thinline with the EMG T set, can get some of the best clean tones on the planet IMO. because those pickups are single coils and ment to sound that way. I also have a Parker Fly Classic with custom wound Dimarzios, it's an active guitar, there is not a style of music that guitar can't do extremely well for. I also have a couple guitars with passives, Duncan and Gibson pickups. If it sounds good, it IS good. Who cares about Zakk, Metallica, LOG, and Adams Jones? Not me. If YOU don't like EMGs(or actives in general for that matter) by all means, don't play them.

And back to the origional question. You only have 35-ish feet of cable and one pedal between the guitar and amp. Just play it with one cable plugged direct into the amp and then with the pedal and second cable. Be honest with yourself as to if you even hear a significant difference. Sure buffers and whatnot are options. But are you looking into it because you're actually hearing something odd in your rig? Don't fix it if it aint broke.

Hell, tuners are widely known to be big tone suckers and people often try to keep them out of their signal chains. I'm one of these people, but honestly sometimes I doubt I can even notice it. You only notice the negative when you try to. :roll:

I would argue that active pickups are in the minority. Dimarzio doesnt make actives. Nor do any of the TRUE high end pickup m akers like Fralin, WCR, Holmes or Suhr.

Most touring pro players that I watch seem to favor wireless systems to avoid the 'dog tripping on its own leash' issues

Rocky said:
I would argue that active pickups are in the minority. Dimarzio doesnt make actives. Nor do any of the TRUE high end pickup m akers like Fralin, WCR, Holmes or Suhr.
My Parker has Dimarzio's and it's an active guitar... Not the same thing as EMG's. But the point is the same. There is a buffer.

Duncan, EMG, and Dimarzio are "true" high end(whatever that means) pickups IMO. How are they not? Just because they have better distribution than Fralin, WCR, Suhr, and Holmes doesn't mean that they're not as good. Boutique is cool and all, but really it's not a matter of better or worse, just different. Someone might compare a Mesa to a Mako, just because the Mesa is Mass produced and widely distributed V.S. built PTP in a Garage and sold out of small shops doesn't mean it's not as well built or considered high end. And then once you get into tone, it's just one of those subjective issues. Some people like apples, some like oranges, some like banana's, ect... Which is why it's a difficult subject to debate.

sam adams said:
My Parker has Dimarzio's and it's an active guitar... Not the same thing as EMG's. But the point is the same. There is a buffer.

The Parker Fly Classic's magnetic pickups are 100% PASSIVE, the EQ is completely passive. As an electric guitar the Fly Classic is a passive guitar...no buffer, no signal amp....nada.

The battery that goes into a Fly Classic is to power the Fishman Piezo pickups preamp. The Preamp is the only part of the Fly Classic that is active and we are not talking about Piezo technology here.

Rocky said:
The Parker Fly Classic's magnetic pickups are 100% PASSIVE, the EQ is completely passive. As an electric guitar the Fly Classic is a passive guitar...no buffer, no signal amp....nada.

The battery that goes into a Fly Classic is to power the Fishman Piezo pickups preamp. The Preamp is the only part of the Fly Classic that is active and we are not talking about Piezo technology here.
I may be corrected here, but when the battery dies in the Parker, the sound of the magnetic pickups do aswell. The preamp is what I'm talking about, everything is connected to it though it's there for the piezos. Thus making the guitar technically an active guitar right? Otherwise I guess you could say I have a Passive guitar thats tone depends greatly on a battery, for a preamp in it. Whatever category that puts it under... :?

sam adams said:
I may be corrected here, but when the battery dies in the Parker, the sound of the magnetic pickups do aswell. The preamp is what I'm talking about, everything is connected to it though it's there for the piezos. Thus making the guitar technically an active guitar right? Otherwise I guess you could say I have a Passive guitar thats tone depends greatly on a battery, for a preamp in it. Whatever category that puts it under... :?

I used to have one, when the acoustic preamp dies out on that model of fishman it kills both outputs. Terrible design layout.

That is why I got rid of the Parker and moved over to Tom Anderson and Brian Moore guitars. That little design flaw isnt there in an Anderson or a Moore.

There is no preamp on the magneticpickups on your Parker.

Latest posts

Back