rocktron chameleon and mesa 20 / 20

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockelars

Reaction score
im considering to buy a mesa 20 / 20, using it with a rocktron chameleon ( 1. version) anyone tried this setup? thanks

I am sure it will sound great. The 20/20 is a sweet power amp. How could it not sound great? I have a Chameleon 2000 powered by a ADA Microtube 100 and it sounds really good. I can only imagine the 20/20 sounding even better than my Microtube 100. Just my 2 cents.

As a 20/20 owner who *did* buy new, don't buy new unless your local dealer has one in stock, you're rich, and you just can't wait.

The 20/20 is a great power amp, but it's a little overpriced for what you get (not much competition in the small-tube-power-amp category), and they show up on ebay and craigslist pretty frequently. If you order from Mesa, it'll take at least a month anyway.

You WILL need to redo all your eq settings. The 20/20 adds a definite flavour to anything you put in it-- it's a good, mix-friendly flavour, but it'll change your tone.

I'm sorry but the 2020 sucks the worst power amp I've ever owned.
Used it with a Triaxis and a Formula .and in made the both sound small .
If you must have a Mesa make it a 290 or better still a 395 if you can find one .
That said my rig came to life with a VHT power amp sorry but true .

eagle said:
If you must have a Mesa make it a 290 or better still a 395 if you can find one .

Not everyone has the need for a full blown poweramp.

I really hated chameleon's distortion.Too digital and lifeless.
I will sell it and buy TRIAXIS(tube) or ADA MP2 (hybrid). :wink:

The 20/20 uses EL84's so it's going to sound a lot different than the bigger mesa power amps that use 6L6's or EL34's. The EL84's are a lot chimier. That said just build you a rack tube amp :D A hell of a lot cheaper!

On the 20/20 they've given the amp a mid-ish voice to overcome some of that chiminess, I think, and the presence knobs are pretty effective in dialing sparkle in or out. It doesn't do the full recto WHOMP but I do find that it cuts really, really well if you want it to.

there is another kind of tube you can put in it which is like a 6v6 but in a 9 pin tube. I can't remember what it's called, but i would give the 20/20 more low end.

as a chameleon owner and a mesa player i'd say it would sound **** good.
the chameleon really shines through a tube power amp and even if the 20/20 is "Too chimey" or too small sounding i'm VERY confident that with the insane amount of EQ control and spkr sims that you should be able to get a killer sound of that rig.

whenever my mk III comes in i can't WAIT to run my chameleon through it's simulclass power amp. mmmmmmmm

good luck, keep up posted- i wanna know how it comes out!

4Draw said:
eagle said:

Not everyone has the need for a full blown poweramp.

Yes they do :shock: :D

As much as I love my Mesas... I think a VHT is going to be the power amp to dethrone my 2:100.

Latest posts

Back