roadster vs. egnater tourmaster 4100?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveBorn2Rock

Reaction score
Any thoughts?
I just came across a couple of videos of the the Tourmaster today and it seemed pretty tight.
The Egnater Tourmaster 4100 also has 4 channels a bunch of different power level options. I think only 2 modes per channel though, but it's about $600 cheaper. I'd love to hear what people with experience with the Mesa Roadster and/or the Egnater have to say.
Also do you think that the competition here might drive prices of the Roadster down at all? :?: Cuz that'd be sweet!

Thanks

I played through one (combo) at GC the other day. The cleans suck AFAIC, though it does have decent gain tone. It wouldn't make me trade in my RK, thats for sure. Build quality doesn't look as good as Mesa's.

I played with a tourmaster half stack for hours at GC. I couldnt get anything close to a mesa. I was actually down to either a mesa or the tourmaster.

I took a triple rectifier over the tourmaster, but by pure luck I then found a used road king and traded up. I would never even consider trading either of those mesa heads for a tourmaster. Nor would I consider swapping a roadster for a tourmaster.

As far as mesa dropping prices, I doubt it. They seem pretty strong armed as far as that goes.

The Tourmaster is very not intuitive to dial in. I was able to get good sounds out of it. Sounded like a Marshall for the most part so it's probably not what you're going for.

I would pick the Tourmaster regardless. A Mark IV versus the Tourmaster would take greater consideration.

To put my opinion into perspective:
I hate most Rectos. I think they mostly sound like either a fart in a tin can (tube rectifier/spongy) or a swarm of bees in a tin can (diode rectifier/bold) I considered a Roadster for a while on paper (multi-channel head = smaller rack = more portable) but when I got to try one I hated it just like every other new recto I've ever played. I love my friend's racktifier though.

cradleofflames said:
The Tourmaster is very not intuitive to dial in. I was able to get good sounds out of it. Sounded like a Marshall for the most part so it's probably not what you're going for.

I would pick the Tourmaster regardless. A Mark IV versus the Tourmaster would take greater consideration.

To put my opinion into perspective:
I hate most Rectos. I think they mostly sound like either a fart in a tin can (tube rectifier/spongy) or a swarm of bees in a tin can (diode rectifier/bold) I considered a Roadster for a while on paper (multi-channel head = smaller rack = more portable) but when I got to try one I hated it just like every other new recto I've ever played. I love my friend's racktifier though.

Hahah! Man, I used to think the exact same thing. Way to put a good description to it. I always just called it the "High pitched buzzsaw sound".

For some reason though, years later I just cant get enough of the mesa tone. I always use the tube rectifier and tone it down a bit. These heads on full gain blast are just too much. I am now able to get a sweet tone that to me is just awesome. I used to swear by the Marshall JMP-1 but these days Im all about mesa.

All of that aside, even in my younger years I couldnt see myself getting into the tourmaster but then again I never really loved Bruce's stuff. Egnator is a great amp line but it just wasnt for me. For the price and the features the tourmaster is awesome, but I didnt like the tone at all on the cleans and the distortion left a bit to be desired IMO. Im sure if you started using pedals you could make it a monster but why spend the cash if your only going to cover the amps original capabilities with a cheap pedal.

Its your call really. If you like it then get it. Just go play with it and see if it can do what you want it to do.

Just go for what sounds best to your ears.

Ive tried NOT to like Mesa because they are so expensive but my ears dont lie... I LOVE them.

I havent played the Egnater but I honestly cannot see any chinese made amp comming close to a Mesa. In build quality or sound.

As for the prices? I think Mesa just builds them and prices them. Not really a competition when the big kid owns the ball! :D

I owned a B52 AT-100 head that was designed by Bruce so I imagine the same thing with his new stuff - maybe a better build quality but I would be wary of what parts are used in it.

As far as a Roadster - own it, love it!

songrider said:
Just go for what sounds best to your ears.

Ive tried NOT to like Mesa because they are so expensive but my ears dont lie... I LOVE them.

I havent played the Egnater but I honestly cannot see any chinese made amp comming close to a Mesa. In build quality or sound.

As for the prices? I think Mesa just builds them and prices them. Not really a competition when the big kid owns the ball! :D

Eww the Tourmasters are made in China???
That's actually reason enough right there for me to not get it.
Even if I hate the prices I like to support American workers and not sweatshop labor... I guess that's a whole 'nother issue though...

Anyway thanks for all the feedback!

The only 2 setings I'll pay my triple in are #1: Tube rectifer/bold and #2: Silicon diodes/spongy.

Latest posts

Back