Roadster Preamp tube combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espexp

Reaction score
I just put some new preamp tubes in my Roadster and I can't even begin to describe how amazing this cocktail sounds.

v1- tung sol reissue
v2- Mesa SPAX7
v3- Mesa Chinese 1
V4- Mesa Russian 2
v5- Mesa Russian 2
v6- Mullard CV4024

The only new ones are in v1,2,and 6. The CV4024 is amazing! The fizz is almost gone and it really opened up the mids in the higher gain territory. The amp feels much tighter as well. Well worth the $30 I paid for it.
I want to thank all of the people who have posted about the CV4024 in the past.
I'm not selling snake oil, this is the real deal. :D

Interesting! I was looking to change some preamp tubes amd this one seems like a good option.
I might try one of these!

If the amps starts to experience volume swells/dropouts change the V5 tube to a Chinese. The Mesa "Russian-2" is a re-labeled Electro Harmonix and they have been known to fail in cathode follower positions ( V3 & V5 ).

Mesa recommends not using any "Russian" 12AX7's in those positions. 12AX7's that have failed in cathode follower spots are Tung-Sol, EH, & Sovtek, all from New Sensor Corp. New Sensor also makes the Mullard re-issue 12AX7.

12AX7's proven in cathode follower positions include any Chinese, JJ (current Mesa 12AX7), and any NOS.

Dom

domct203 said:
If the amps starts to experience volume swells/dropouts change the V5 tube to a Chinese. The Mesa "Russian-2" is a re-labeled Electro Harmonix and they have been known to fail in cathode follower positions ( V3 & V5 ).

Mesa recommends not using any "Russian" 12AX7's in those positions. 12AX7's that have failed in cathode follower spots are Tung-Sol, EH, & Sovtek, all from New Sensor Corp. New Sensor also makes the Mullard re-issue 12AX7.

12AX7's proven in cathode follower positions include any Chinese, JJ (current Mesa 12AX7), and any NOS.

Dom

Thanks for the heads up, I just replaced my V5 with an Mesa Chinese 1 that I had laying around.
I also put in some JJE34L's recently. I'm really liking them a lot. I've never liked JJ's much but these are pretty cool.

espexp said:
I just put some new preamp tubes in my Roadster and I can't even begin to describe how amazing this cocktail sounds.

v1- tung sol reissue
v2- Mesa SPAX7
v3- Mesa Chinese 1
V4- Mesa Russian 2
v5- Mesa Russian 2
v6- Mullard CV4024

The only new ones are in v1,2,and 6. The CV4024 is amazing! The fizz is almost gone and it really opened up the mids in the higher gain territory. The amp feels much tighter as well. Well worth the $30 I paid for it.
I want to thank all of the people who have posted about the CV4024 in the past.
I'm not selling snake oil, this is the real deal. :D
Thanks for the input. Definitely,at least I have to try the so acclaimed tung-sol in the v1 socket!

Latest posts

Back