Roadster Love...........

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesserides2005

Reaction score
I just had to post and say how much I am loving my Roadster after having had it for a few months now. When I heard about the service notice I was a bit taken back but I called Rich at Mesa & he mailed me the part which I installed myself in about 20 minutes. I'm technically retarded and a horrible solderer so I will warn all you that decide to do the mod yourself, don't touch the big blue cap while grounding yourself to the chasis! I got a nice little "shock" by learning this the hard way! Other than that, it was a breeze! I've gigged with this amp now for about two-months straight every weekend & have had zero issues thusfar. I think it's awesome that mesa released a possible forcasted issue with this service notice and it proves that regardless of size & sales, they still have that kind of integrity towards their products and customers!

Thanks Mesa!

-d

Pleas tell me more about the amp. How are the first two channels? Are they like a Lonestar? Can I do classic rock onthe first two? Is the Mark I lead tone in there? Can I get a good bules lead tone out of 3or 4 channel? Thanks for any info.

jesserides2005, which cab/speakers are you using? I'm using a 4x12 recto std and it seems a little harsh to me and real "bassy".

Thanks

francric: I have the Head version.

scolli: So far my favorite cab set-up is with my Marshall 1960B stock 4x12 running @ 16 Ohms. I think the Ohms is the key for me. I believe this is the only Mesa I've ever owned with a 16 ohm output. Usually they ar 4 & 8. I am also using a Rocktron Intellifex Online through the loop which has a HF taper on to roll off some of the buzzy highs you seem to get with all of the rectifier series.

jamme61: This amp is all rectifier. The first two channels are pretty cool in they're own right, however I don't believe that they have the lonestar clean sound. Channel 2 Brit Mode sucks, but I love the fat mode in this channel. It breaks up a little depending on your pick attack. To my ears channels 3 & 4 are pretty much a Dual Recto but a little warmer. If you are looking for a chewy vintage "Brown Sound" ala classic rock, I would suggest either a Lonestar or a Stiletto, or another brand such as a Bogner Shiva.

Thanks for getting back. that's what I needed to know. I might try a Mark IV too. I had the lonestar and it sounded great. I was hopeing to get lonestar on 1&2 and recto on 3 &4 for $1900 vs $1600 for two channels of the LS. Thanks again and good luck with the amp.

jamme61 said:
Pleas tell me more about the amp. How are the first two channels? Are they like a Lonestar? Can I do classic rock onthe first two? Is the Mark I lead tone in there? Can I get a good bules lead tone out of 3or 4 channel? Thanks for any info.

Most people immediately set channels 3 and 4 on 'Modern'....which is, yes, Dual Recto country. But I've done some recordings using channel 3 on raw and Vintage, and I think it gets a VERY good classic rock tone there. I did change the tubes to JJ 6V6's and GZ34's and live in the EL34 bias setting, though.

I am getting REALLY good cleans out of channel 1 'clean', but I'm still figuring out how I'm going to use channel 2. To me, it's the least usable channel on the amp. The highs get rather schrapnel-like when you drive the 'Fat', and the 'Brit' just sucks outright. (any setting suggestions for a good slightly overdriven tone on channel 2 are highly appreciated :) ).

Overall, it's a killer amp. And no matter what channel you are on, it is a dream to play solos through when you are really turned up (that solo boost is a SWEET feature!). It's all tube richness, and the harmonics are fantastic. My fingers LOVE this amp :)

3SpeedChicken: I've actually never messed with tube substitution in any of my amps. The 6V6's sound like they might be pretty cool!

I actually play in a country/rock cover band full-time and have been using the "Roadster" for the last few months with great success. Even at low gain settings, it's a tad "too much" for the traditional stuff I have to play, but I'm digging it exactly for that reason. It's different than the norm, which I've grown tired of. It does sound killer for the Big & Rich type of stuff though!

As far as getting real "Classic" tones out of the Roadster? I'm not sure? To me, none of the dual recto type amps really hit the mark on that because of the type of distortion and gain that is inherent to them. I know it's subjective, but when I think of "Classic" or such tones, I think of amps like, DR Z, Fuchs, non-master Marshalls, Fender twins, etc. etc. I also own a Stiletto and have played through numerous Lonestar's and though they come closest to the actual "Brown Sound" there's still something missing that I can not only hear, but feel in my pick attack when trying to emulate more "Classic" type tones. I'm not technical enough to expand with details, it's just a feel thing for me.

BTW I'm not baggin on your opinion or anything, I'm just trying to clarify mine.

Mesa kick's *** in a live setting and cut's through the bottom end band mud better than anything else I've used. One thing I've learned being the tone-freak I am is that trying to micromanage tone in a live setting is a waste of time. There are so many other factors that come into play i.e. crappy or great FOH techs, crummy or great room dynamics, etc. etc. Nowaday's I just dial in a couple of good sounds and worry more about playing well and putting on a good performance. I don't know how many times I've had crummy stage sound with killer front of house sound or vice-versa. When I quit trying to treat the stage like the studio, it all became a lot more fun.

peace all,
-d

I too can get some great EVH sounds on Channel 3, set to Vintage mode.

I experiment with my Guitar's Volume and turn the Gain low and there it is.

Channel 4 probably is a bit too much for most Classic Rock Rythm sounds, but I can get some really great Santana type lead tones out of it on Vintage as well.

I'm still running the stock tubes, so I haven't had time to experiment much.

I ended up getting a Tremoverb head at the same time I got my Roadster, so my attention has been divided. A friend really wanted my PRS, and I hadn't played it in 2 years, so he made me a trade deal that I couldn't pass up. Tremoverb head, Recto 2x12, $200 worth of lessons, and some cash. He's the Guitar Teacher at the local college, so by doing the trade, I also got to do all of the work on his student's amps and guitars.

Anyway, my point is: I got 2 awesome amps at the same time and can't decide which one to play. I'm going to have to run them both at the same time. :lol:

How about classic rock on the clean channel? Will the clean channel get that dirty? I was getting a great open classic rock tone on the clean channel of the Lonestar. There's something about Mesa's that rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the mids. Some how coming from Marshalls (Plexis, DSL's, fenders, ect) there's always something I'm trying to dial in or out on a Mesa, then after a couple of months, I give up, and move on. The lonestar was the first Mesa in years that didn't do that. I know, just stay with the LS, that's what I should do. Still the attraction of the Roadster is tough. Great info from you guys.

I have about a week untill I can get my hands on one to check out. I wish mesa would make an amp, half lonestar and half recto. There ads sugest that but even the Mesa rep said it's not like that. Anyone try a Carvin V3? It seems a lot like the Mesa RK, amp.

If anyone comes up with a setting that sounds good on the brit mode of channel 2, please post them! I dialed in every possible scenario of this mode on my amp with the exception of switching to EL34's and to my ears it just plain blows. I don't want to switch power tubes because I really love the sound of every other mode with the stock 6L6's. So far the best brit type sound I get is using my Fulldrive on Channel 2 set to Fat Mode.

peace,
-d

I dont think you can get a decent Marshall crunch sound out of it with 6L6's. You can get a very nice Bassman sound if you keep the drive at noon ..

I have a Marshall DSL50, DSL100 *voodoo mod*, and a Fender Bassman LTD here next to my Roadster ..

I want the 6L6's too, but want EL34 for the Brit mode, so I bit the bullet, and exchanged the Roadster for the Road King II .. . still waiting on my RK II.

I have a Carvin V3 and Rectoverb and they are completely different sounding in every way. The Carvin is very smooth on the OD, more creamy and smeared sounding in a good way. The Mesa if more focused and in your face.

I like them both in different ways.. its really hard to describe the sound you can get out of it, but you can get alot of different ones because the 2 OD channels has 3 modes all are different.

Jason

jwnc said:
I have a Carvin V3 and Rectoverb and they are completely different sounding in every way. The Carvin is very smooth on the OD, more creamy and smeared sounding in a good way.

I just saw the V3 and it looks great. great price too. How long have you had it? Can you get Marshall ACDC type crunch? How good is the clean channel? It looks great in the video.

Back