RoadKing II w/ Distortion Pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smashingchicago

Reaction score
Does anyone else here use a Distortion pedal with their RKII or any Rectifier series amp? I just bought a Digitech Distortion Factory pedal and feel that it adds a different level of distortion to my setup which sounds pretty good.

Many claim that additional distorition in a Rectifier (especially a RKII) is not necessary or that adding additional distortion pedals kills the tone, but I am curious to see if anyone else here runs the Digitech or any other (Boss Metal Zone) distortion pedal with good results.

I used a Tubescreamer with my Road King series 1.. Also with all my other Rectifier from Single to Triple (see my sig for all my boogie amps). If you use it right, it'll tighten up the bottom end and make it sound a little tougher, if you use it wrong......... you won't. :wink:

I dont use it on my heaviest setting, I have a channel set a little lighter on the distortion and mids that I "boost" with the Tubescreamer. I actually have 2 tubescreamers set at different levels of drive that I use for different tones.

It's so weird, I find that an overdrive is almost essential when playing my dual rectifier but with my Ace it's just guitar into amp and it sounds perfect.

I think I'm going crazy, I'm finding more gain/balls in this Ace than in the Recto??

Rectifiers really need the low end tighted up with an OD pedal to add a little natural chug.. it gets you that really liquid mark voice out of the recto.

Platypus said:
It's so weird, I find that an overdrive is almost essential when playing my dual rectifier but with my Ace it's just guitar into amp and it sounds perfect.

I think I'm going crazy, I'm finding more gain/balls in this Ace than in the Recto??

Rectifiers really need the low end tighted up with an OD pedal to add a little natural chug.. it gets you that really liquid mark voice out of the recto.

"A little natural chug" -- that's how I would describe it as well. I think I am going to try a few different pedals beyond the DF7 -- anyone want to recommend some others to try? Which OD pedal do you use, Platypus?

I also heard that a tube change can tighten up the Recto's, but that I haven't tried yet.....

smashingchicago said:
Platypus said:

"A little natural chug" -- that's how I would describe it as well. I think I am going to try a few different pedals beyond the DF7 -- anyone want to recommend some others to try? Which OD pedal do you use, Platypus?

I also heard that a tube change can tighten up the Recto's, but that I haven't tried yet.....

When I use 6L6 tubes with my DR I use my trusty tubescreamer. When using EL34's (which is most often for me) I use my Fulltone OCD which is an awesome pedal. I find its range more agreeable with EL34 tubes but it sounds good with 6L6's too.

As far as tube changes, there are lots of options out there! A quick easy one to get tighter tracking without the restrictions of the diode rectifier are to replace the 5U4 rectifiers with GZ34/5A4 rectifiers.

Why not? Adding a distortion box to the clean channel gives you another virtual channel.

CudBucket said:
Why not? Adding a distortion box to the clean channel gives you another virtual channel.

Yes, on the clean channels, I can get some other cools sounds, but I also add it to channels 3 & 4 -- which gives the lows a bit more chunk. You have (I think) a RKII -- have you done anything like that? Do you use any pedals in your setup?

I am used to a modeller and only recently got my RKII so I am not as familiar with a "traditional" guitar rig.

Thanks for your feedback.

On a side note, I hope that you and I can keep our threads "peaceful". ;)

smashingchicago said:
Do you use any pedals in your setup?

Well if you count a Fulltone Full Drive 2 as a distortion pedal, yes. I do use it on 3 and 4 but that's because I can use that pedal as a clean boost as well. It's really 2 in one.

smashingchicago said:
I am used to a modeller and only recently got my RKII so I am not as familiar with a "traditional" guitar rig.

I have an RKII but also use a Vox Tonelab and POD XT Live so I know where you're coming from.

smashingchicago said:
On a side note, I hope that you and I can keep our threads "peaceful". ;)

I don't see why not. :D

Dave

Back