Roadking HighGain vs Dual/Triple Rec and Roadster.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockanomicon

Reaction score
I havent had the opportunity to play through a Roadking yet. From what I have heard is that the High Gain settings arent has buzzy as the rest of the Rectifier line. From what I understand, in order to remedy the buzz/hash factor on the Dual's and Triples, one would have to have the amp modded which would void the warranty.

My question is simply this...How does the High Gain of the Roadking compare to that of the Roadster or Dual/Triple Rec's...?

rockanomicon said:
I havent had the opportunity to play through a Roadking yet. From what I have heard is that the High Gain settings arent has buzzy as the rest of the Rectifier line.

Thats how I would describe my Roadster vs. a Triple I owned for years. I feel the Roadster is a smoother Recto. The cleans IMO are much 'cleaner' and full vs. the Triple. The top end of the High Gain channels is much eaiser to control and not as buzzy, and I am absolutly in love with my lead tones, something I could never say about my Triple.

But,

The Triple was alot more agressive for Modern rhythms, it had a distinct 'growl' that to me is missing from the Roadster. Don't get me wrong, the Roadster can be extremly evil sounding, but to me the Triple does the Bold-Modern-SS Rectified chug a little better.

If you are a strickly rhythm player, IMO the Dual/Triple does the Modern Drop-Tuned thing the best. If you love that Recto sound and need a smooth but agressive lead tone, a couple more mid-gain options (Brit & Tweed), and a usable (series) FX loop, the Roadster/RKII takes the prize.

Dom

I do really like the aggressive sound, but in the same breath, warmth is really a big factor as well. Warmth and reliability. I've always felt that, expecting a quality high gain amplifier to retain some warmth, isn't asking too much.

I get awesome sounds out of my Roadster for rhythm. The leads are great too. However, I need to tweak them a bit.

Check out this video I made of me playing through my Roadster on channel 4 Modern with a TS9DX pedal through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_9tte1t0A

Roadking is definatley a smoother gain sound than the triple recto, I agree with the above post that thetriple recto is the shizz for drop tuning rythym playing.

It has a metal god growl but it could get outta control if you are not paying attn lol.

Get a Roadking and you wont miss much but some gain fuzz.

it all depends what your definition of high gain is :lol:

you want the most aggressive amp by mesa you get the triple rec. you want something with similar gain structure but smoother you go roadster. if you want the same power as the roadster but with a more aggressive toan go dual rec. just know the dual and triple recs are quite different too, i can say that the triple is alot more clearer than the dual just because of the bigger power section and additional headroom.

id really say go test out amps and see what fits you best. theyre all very versatile and all awesome heads. im sure youll be happy with whatever you chose

I have a RK II and a 3 channel Triple Rec. I'd say the triple rec can be a little brighter and the gain is a hair shall I say "fizzy" compared to the RK's. I find the Road King all around smoother. Not sure if its the power amp settings I'm using also that might smooth it out though.

domct203 said:
rockanomicon said:
I havent had the opportunity to play through a Roadking yet. From what I have heard is that the High Gain settings arent has buzzy as the rest of the Rectifier line.

Thats how I would describe my Roadster vs. a Triple I owned for years. I feel the Roadster is a smoother Recto. The cleans IMO are much 'cleaner' and full vs. the Triple. The top end of the High Gain channels is much eaiser to control and not as buzzy, and I am absolutly in love with my lead tones, something I could never say about my Triple.

But,

The Triple was alot more agressive for Modern rhythms, it had a distinct 'growl' that to me is missing from the Roadster. Don't get me wrong, the Roadster can be extremly evil sounding, but to me the Triple does the Bold-Modern-SS Rectified chug a little better.

If you are a strickly rhythm player, IMO the Dual/Triple does the Modern Drop-Tuned thing the best. If you love that Recto sound and need a smooth but agressive lead tone, a couple more mid-gain options (Brit & Tweed), and a usable (series) FX loop, the Roadster/RKII takes the prize.

Dom

word!

just my thoughts, as i got my roadster and made a head to head competition with my dual recto.

the roadster is much smoother and it´s a complete amp, with the channels fit perfect with each other - only one word: perfect!

i run the orange channel on vintage with the gain set to two o´clock and it´s a great, powerful rhythm sound. not harsh or anything like that.
my red channel is set to modern and it´s even more powerful but still not harsh.
the red channel sounds similar to the orange on my dual recto (also set to modern), but a bit smoother, but enough strengh for the ultimate modern-metal sound.

in a few words:
roadster - smoother and very flexible but also able to get this brutal modern sound
dual recto - more aggressive, more metal

sorry, can´t say anything about the road king.

Im switching to the triple rectifier....the Roadking 1 has clean sound issues but here is a pic anyway lol
IMG_1292.jpg

The Roadster Combo I played sounded smooth, distortion is best I have heard. the leads are amazing to, I got great vocal lead sound in like 60 secs of tweaking. I'm on the waiting list for a custom one in 09 :)

let's put this way what does Behemoth, Killswitch engage, The Jamie Foxx band guitarist, Kanye West guitarist have in common... They all play a Roadster meaning it's pretty versatile in terms of what sounds it can achieve, and if you sit in front of it with a few different guitars you are bound to find something that's fits whatever style your into add an Axe Fx like some users, and you have the best setup on the planet. of coarse that is if you like the boogie sound. some people prefer Orange, Bogner, Diezel, Not me :) Hell no!)

Grindjazz said:
let's put this way what does Behemoth, Killswitch engage, The Jamie Foxx band guitarist, Kanye West guitarist have in common... They all play a Roadster meaning it's pretty versatile in terms of what sounds it can achieve, and if you sit in front of it with a few different guitars you are bound to find something that's fits whatever style your into add an Axe Fx like some users, and you have the best setup on the planet. of coarse that is if you like the boogie sound. some people prefer Orange, Bogner, Diezel, Not me :) Hell no!)

Don't forget willie adler from Lamb Of God. The roadster rocks for versatility.

Grindjazz said:

So does this mean i have the best setup on the planet?? :D

I compared my Roadking to the Dual at GC and I thought the Roadking was smoother sounding for sure. Not quite as aggressive as the dual. But it is all a matter of taste, I wouldn't say one is better then the other.

For me, my sound is similar to one of the other posters. I found my tone on channel 3 in vintage mode. It gets really tight when you set it up with 4 6L6 and 2 EL34, but if I go 50 watts I prefer just the EL34. I put the gain at 11:00 and use an OCD set to LP with the volume at 9:00, the tone at noon and the distortion off.

domct203 said:
rockanomicon said:

But,

The Triple was alot more agressive for Modern rhythms, it had a distinct 'growl' that to me is missing from the Roadster. Don't get me wrong, the Roadster can be extremely evil sounding, but to me the Triple does the Bold-Modern-SS Rectified chug a little better.

If you are a strictly rhythm player, IMO the Dual/Triple does the Modern Drop-Tuned thing the best. If you love that Recto sound and need a smooth but aggressive lead tone, a couple more mid-gain options (Brit & Tweed), and a usable (series) FX loop, the Roadster/RKII takes the prize.

Dom

Dom,

This is exactly what I found as well. To be clear, the difference in the Dual and Roadster is there, however the aggressive meter is subjective. They are both freaking mean and nasty beasts, but agree the Dual has a growl to the Roadster does not.

The Roadster has a a growl to it traditional dual recto does not.

Its just different, in a very good way.

Latest posts

Back