Road King's Master Output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armando

Reaction score
What's the proper way to set this up so as not to ruin the RK's tone? When I select to have the Loop, Channel and Solo functions active, I get a very "buzzy" undesirable sound at a reduced output. Shouldn't this just be a "master" volume control for the 4 channels?

Thanks in advance!

Well.............

that's kind of a loaded question. I find that the two act very different (i.e. you will have to EQ it for whether you are running the loops or not) they just sound different! I really prefer the sound of it with the loops off but that is something you have to live with; you are introducing A LOT more circuits into the signal chain so....... also higher gain settings introduce buzz(natoriously) I use my gains set about 12 if i go higher i start hearing the fizzle; which starts going away when cranked! which might. So being a fellow road-king owner i have to say a low volumes with gain up and the master roping it back down it sounds fuzzily? probably comparable to someone roping there amp down like 60% with an attuner; I never hear anyone saying "when i run my attuner and i get my amp down to almost nothing ......man i love how that sounds." I think your speakers have to work or THEY sound thin and tinny and your amp needs to be at least a certain volume before its going to sound good!(p.s. I just ordered these 5881's to replace my 6L6's in hopes of getting a thicker more smooth [i.e. less buzzy] tone! I will let everyone know what i find!)

Thanks for replying. I agree, the amp sounds fine with the Loop, Output and Solo switch set to Bypass. I don't understand why the Output Master would function this way. It reacts the same way some "cheap" fx loops do, in that they change the tone of the amp even without having an boxes connected.

If it was me, I would design the Output Master to be at unity when set to 12 o'clock in relation to where the 4 individual channel volumes are set. That way, you could raise or lower overall volume but still have a starting place to check that the circuitry is not altering the true tone of the amp.

So if you plan on using the Road King with any outboard gear, don't bother ever listening to it with set to Bypass. That way, you'll never know what your missing.

I think that you actually can get some good tones with the loops engaged but i don't know it they will be as good as with the loops off?

Latest posts

Back