Teething problems upgrading to V90 from V:35.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daft Goose

Reaction score
How does the level work on the fx send? I'm not currently using the loop but wanted the solo boost capability as the channel specific solo boosts on the 35 were awesome - a transparent level boost or cut.
The solo and the output do not work in the same way and it's caught me off guard. I'm currently attenuating the head through an Ox Box with very low vol through my 212 cab for in the room punch and some of the coupling effect, then running the line outs of the Ox to abelton and my studio monitors in order to cultivate some hella good gig tones that I can pipe into IEMs/FOH for live use.
This amp does not seem to operate like it's lil Brother. I just got my head around dialing in sweet tones on the 35 after 3 reads of the manual and forum advice, but the same logic to dial in doesnt work and I'm wondering if its due to the loop level and setup?
I don't want to max out the channel masters or gain on channels for fear of wearing out the tubes faster. That in mind I have been hesistant to stick anything to flat out 10. on the Loop setting at the back I have had it at 12:00 and feel that despite gain and channel master going above 13:00 there just isnt as much gain in any of the channels.
Any advice from V90 pros? especially if you are experienced with running to FOH through an ox or similar.

The FX loop and master vol of the V:90 arrangement is different then the V:35. Many feel (me included) there is a degree of "tone suck" when it is engaged. While you want the solo func, maybe initially try bypassing the loop and see if you hear the base tones you seek at the settings you find comfortable to run at, then work the loop back in.

Hmmmmm yeah I wondered that. It does feel woeful to neglect the loop altogether though. I can get delay from the ox for FOH and IEMs but it feels a shame to not be able to use my strymons if having to cull the loop altogether. I hope it gets my dynamics back, I found first experimentation with the V90 I can't achieve the same dynamic response to changes in playing.

yea from my experience the V:90 indeed has a learning curve. It's steep compared to other amps but rewarding when you get it dialed in. FWIW I had to play with the FX send level, the send/return block levels and effects levels in my 4CM multi-fx to get to a better dynamic feel. Where the channel masters were set would play into the equation also.

BTW, if you feel that ch 3 mode is a bit harsh there is a preamp tube swap in V4 that may be helpful, this post goes thru it.

V4 Mod

plus the video in this thread may outline how ch 3 can sound like.

The Tone Monster Post

I can vouch for Strymon used in the FX loop of the V90. It was that amp that led me to the Strymon stuff in the first place as everything else did not do well in the FX loop of the V.

yea from my experience the V:90 indeed has a learning curve. It's steep compared to other amps but rewarding when you get it dialed in. FWIW I had to play with the FX send level, the send/return block levels and effects levels in my 4CM multi-fx to get to a better dynamic feel. Where the channel masters were set would play into the equation also.

BTW, if you feel that ch 3 mode is a bit harsh there is a preamp tube swap in V4 that may be helpful, this post goes thru it.

V4 Mod

plus the video in this thread may outline how ch 3 can sound like.

The Tone Monster Post
If my Mark V90 sounded that good as the Tone Monster post, I probably would not have a home full of other Mesa amps. Am I mistaken that the person in the video is using an SD-1 with the amp? If so I will have to check it out. I do not use any external drive pedals. With the exception of the recent purchase of the Strymon Deco that has a tape saturation effect.

If my Mark V90 sounded that good as the Tone Monster post, I probably would not have a home full of other Mesa amps. Am I mistaken that the person in the video is using an SD-1 with the amp? If so I will have to check it out. I do not use any external drive pedals. With the exception of the recent purchase of the Strymon Deco that has a tape saturation effect.
In the intro piece he said he didn't use any OD pedals for the solo or the rhythm. Goes over the signal chain @ 5:00. Just chan 3, mk IV and IIC+ voicings. He is running a reactive load and is on 90W with the masters cranked, got to believe that has something to do with it.

Latest posts

Back