RK II came in (but it pops ?!?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lactose

Reaction score
I picked up my RKII head and 2x12 cab Friday from GC. I really love this amp. But when I switch from Chan 2 to Chan 3 I sometimes get a pop. Guess I need to call Mesa tomorrow.

I posted a clip over in the Rigs and Tones section.

There was another thread about popping and it was said to hit your channel switch about 20 times before you use it. It might be built up static electricity. I haven't tried this yet, but it's worth a shot. Let us know if it works.

Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it didn't seem to make much difference. The pop isn't so bad at the moment. When it gets bad again I will try this and post the results.

Yep, probably static buildup in the switching relays. It's too bad, I'm sorry to hear about all these complaints! I would'nt live with it! :x

I believe that the Roadking and Roadster both use relays for channel switching as opposed to LDRs (all other recto amps, Mark series, Triaxis, etc) which let off a nice transient POP when the coil is engaged. Static electricity....maybe...non existent or faulty muting circuit? Probably more likely. Peavey uses relays in all of their tube amps and I don't think any of them "Pop" because of a quick muting circuit which is utilized everytime a relay is engaged/disengaged. I haven't looked at the schematic for the RK but I would HOPE Mesa added a circuit like this.

Is the Popping you guys are hearing really loud or does it not overpower the guitar and is just a nuisance at low practice levels?

It's a shame many people are having this problem but some don't have it at all. Maybe the relays are just inconsistent or some people just have a combination of the right luck and right timing.

Greg

They are a pretty loud pops usually. If you are playing while changing channels you won't notice it too much but it still definitely there.

Ciao ...

I called Mesa and the gentleman said, if it is just a little intermitent popping, it could be static buildup, and he switches once through all of the channels. If, on the other hand, it is a constant loud pop, maybe there is a failure in the muting circuitry, in which case it would need to be repaired.

I need a little more time on the amp to better characterize the problem, but the suggestion about starting out on channel 3 seems to help.

I have a roadking II as well, flip it on in standbye mode, switch through all of your channels once or twice, kick the amp on and you should be good with no pops. If i turn my on, the first time i switch through the channels i get a mild pop, after once or twice the popping goes away.

nathan28 said:
I have a roadking II as well, flip it on in standbye mode, switch through all of your channels once or twice, kick the amp on and you should be good with no pops. If i turn my on, the first time i switch through the channels i get a mild pop, after once or twice the popping goes away.
Is this normal for channel switchers? Sounds like some have accepted this procedure as normal ops!

My other amps don't do this. I am ok with the workaround, but I agree with the point you are making; this should be considered a design flaw and should be fixed. Especially for $2500.

Pops has very different causes and comes from different places: unproper function of muting/clamping circuit; in preamp - making switching capacitors by relays to circuit points being on high potential, especially when switching from clean channels to distorted channels in both directions (it take place on first gain stage and between second and third gain stage); in output stage - "sharp" switching power tubes' cathodes to the ground by relays (make experiment: on any channel try to rotate Prog.Link. rotary switch - you'll hear pops), almost the same effect with Silicon/Vaccum rectifier switching. Reverb delay comes from simple RC circuit (2M2/2uF2 time constant) connected to muting circuit, which in other words determines J175' Reverb Mute on/off time. There's some other...........hmmm.....points to fix. No place and time to say. The Amp is superb and those unimportant, little problems doesn't change this opinion in any possible way! BTW for skilled "ironmen" there's no problem to fix every enlisted bug with more or less sophisticated methods.

My DR gets a loud pop too when I step on the orange channel for the first time but after that the pop is less noticeable. Do you guys think it could be relate to a tube problem?

thanks

rabies said:
have u guys tried setting all 4 channels to solid state rectification OR all 4 channels to tube rectification?

or does the popping still happen in these scenarios?

- if you'll do so, there should not be pops from rectifier switching only. The same when you set one kind of power tubes for all four channels - no pops from power tubes switching only.

Latest posts

Back