RFT Preamp tubes in a Dual or Triple Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale B.

Reaction score
Just wanted to share that NOS RFT ECC83 preamp tubes rock hard in a Dual or Triple Rectifier. It doesn't matter if it's a 2 channel head or 3 channel head, they're nice!

I've been using one in V1 of my Mark IV as well along with some RCA's in the rest of the preamp.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Dale

All right. Last night I was down and out with my back. I had to move some stuff yesterday and it flared up my lower back, which I hurt about 3½ years ago. So, I wasn't able to write any kind of review.

I like the RFT Ecc83 preamp tubes mainly due them adding a bit more warmth and depth to the preamp signal. The gain levels are every bit as high as the new 9th Generation Chinese and Electro-Harmonix offerings, so you don't lose any of the saturation. Also, the EQ of the tube kind of helps the Rectos and Mark IV out a tad bit because it smooths out the highs and takes away some of the overall harshness that kind of plagues the Rectos and Mark IV in some of their extreme settings.

If you haven't ever gotten a chance to take a look at the Watford Valve site's test reviews, by all means take a look. I think they do a pretty good job in describing a power tube and preamp tube's tonal characteristics. www.watfordvalves.com <---- It's a great read.

These puppies usually average about $35 a piece through most online vendors who thoroughly screen them, but I believe The Tube Store may still have them in-stock for a cheaper price. I don't know if The Tube Store screens all of of their preamp tubes as well as some of the vendors that I purchase them from.

If you have $35 to spend, pop one and V1 and see if you like it. It won't hurt and you might actually like it.

Dale

Thanks for the review Dale, I've been contemplating the RFT's but wondered if it would make a difference at all in my .50 Cal or Studio Preamp or MKIV. I'll have to check one out.

When placed early on in the tone path, an RFT ECC83 will absolutely make an audible difference. As Dale mentioned, the harsh high-end of most current-production 12AX7s will be gone, and overall, you may notice a slightly darker tone.

RFTs do not clean up well, nor is definition/articulation their forte, but they do have a very musically "loose" feel for singing leads. Don't expect well-defined low frequencies (look to others such as RCA 12AX7A, JAN-Philips ECG 12AX7WA, or Tungsram, to name a few more obtainable NOS, for that). But nothing sounds and responds like RFTs. Best for higher gain applications, not cleans.

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
When placed early on in the tone path, an RFT ECC83 will absolutely make an audible difference. As Dale mentioned, the harsh high-end of most current-production 12AX7s will be gone, and overall, you may notice a slightly darker tone.

RFTs do not clean up well, nor is definition/articulation their forte, but they do have a very musically "loose" feel for singing leads. Don't expect well-defined low frequencies (look to others such as RCA 12AX7A, JAN-Philips ECG 12AX7WA, or Tungsram, to name a few more obtainable NOS, for that). But nothing sounds and responds like RFTs. Best for higher gain applications, not cleans.

- T

The cleans on my Dual Rectifier are still very rich and warm sounding with the RFT's in there. They're still not as good as they would be if I had my GE's in the preamp, but, like you said, they warm up the amp a great deal and give the amp a good bit of fatness.

As far as the note definition is concerned, well, it's still on par with any other Recto if you ask me. All that still depends on what you're running in the power section and what kind of guitar and pickups you have as well.

I don't particularly care for RCA 12ax7's and JAN Philips 12ax7wa's in Rectos. The RCA's just don't sound right to me and aren't quite on par with the JAN GE 12ax7wa in them for what they're both shooting for, but that's just what I think about the Rectos. If you want to clean the preamp section up and still retain that bright, american vibe, the Philips work well in that application, but I don't care for them in the Rectos either. The Philips were really nice in a 5150's preamp mated with Philips 7581A's.

The RFT's are definitely great preamp tubes and I recommend them.

Dale

It sounds as if we've got some interesting differences in our experiences, Dale. In my experience, the RFT hasn't the tight bass definition of any of the other NOS 12AX7s we've discussed. But I meant no disrespect to you, and its great to hear someone else who even knows what I'm talking about :lol:

One thing we agree on, for certain, is that RFTs are worth a try, and it is great to have at least one on hand, just to try. I've been able to buy them for under $10, by the way, by patiently watching on eBay.

- T

Timbre Wolf said:
It sounds as if we've got some interesting differences in our experiences, Dale. In my experience, the RFT hasn't the tight bass definition of any of the other NOS 12AX7s we've discussed. But I meant no disrespect to you, and its great to hear someone else who even knows what I'm talking about :lol:

One thing we agree on, for certain, is that RFTs are worth a try, and it is great to have at least one on hand, just to try. I've been able to buy them for under $10, by the way, by patiently watching on eBay.

- T

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I don't think the bass response is as tight or as detailed as the GE, RCA or Philips stuff, but it's not horribly sludgey by any means whatsoever. It's just kind of big and bloated to a certain extent. It's still nice and adds it's own flavor. :)

I like using them with Ruby EL34B-STR's a lot. That paritcular tube compliment fattens up the Rectos to the point to where it's almost as good as it gets.

I want to try out some Siemens EL34's, but I can't make up my mind what I want to do as far as my next purchases are concerned. I want recording equipment, but I need new pickups for two guitars. And if I get recording equipment, I'm either going to have to buy another computer to devote to just that or upgrade mine, which will run me about $500 for more memory. RDRAM SUX!!!!

Anyways, I know what you're saying man! Cheers! :D

Dale

Latest posts

Back