2000 3ch Triple Rectifier preamp tubes replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DS-1

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have a 2000 3ch Triple Rectifier and I still have the stock Mesa preamp tubes in it (power amp tubes are JJ EL34). I've used it always in diode rectifier mode and I've bought it used, with almost new tubes.

I want to change the preamp tubes essentially because the head have a sort of hum when used with loop engaged (I've tried swapping the V4 tube with another one and the hum is decreased), so I'd like the change all the 5 tubes. Any suggestion on what tubes can I use?

I play in a rock alternative grunge band. I really love the rectifier sound, but I've always needed more upper mids on my sound. Also, I always use the loop because I have a lot of delay/modulation in it and I also need the solo function. I live in Italy so I should buy it from Italy/Europe.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

The JJECC83S should work well in all tube positions. It is the same tube Mesa uses. Depends on the sorting process that would set it apart. TAD also sells the JJ tube TAD 12AX7/ECC83 Redbase looks identical to the Mesa/JJ 12AX7A tube. As for V1,V2, and V5, you can use just about any 12AX7/ECC83/7025 tube (includes Russian tubes with the spiral heater filament).

Only recommendation I have is not to use any Russian preamp tubes in V3 and V4.
ECC83s (basically the JJECC83s), same as TAD 12AX7/ECC83 and Mesa 12AX7 will work in V3 and V4. Some Chinese 12AX7A or 7025 tubes should also be fine.

What falls into the Russian tube category: Svetlana, EH, Tung Sol, Mullard, Sovtek and probably a few others. Just about all of them have a spiral heater filament. Nothing wrong with that but there will be issues with the cathode follower circuits (V3, V4) with those tubes.

I believe TAD sells tube sets for amps, You can look at the list of preamp tubes recommended for ideas.

Find a (real) Mullard ECC83 and stick it in V1. That alone will solve most of your problems with the tone. To de-clutter your mid range even more I recommend regular Chinese (Shuguang) 12ax7-b in v2 and v3. They have a controlled low and high end, with a nice defined mid range. For v4 you can re-use one of your good valves from the other positions, and for v5, I like a Sovtek LPS, but you can just stick your old v1 valve in it to save some money (as it’s likely to be selected with tighter tolerances).

Latest posts

Back