Reverb not working?? Also, 5w/15w mode question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mARKw

Reaction score
Getting value for money here with more than one question per post.

1. Strange... There's no reverb on my LSS. I turned it up on channel 1 & 2, switched between bright and warm, and still no reverb - at all. I did check to see the reverb jack is plugged in and gave it a wiggle!
Anybody had this problem before or know what the cause might be?

2. I don't think it's related, but I also have no sound when switched in 5w & 15w modes. (I assume this is because the rectifier tube isn't glowing!). This has happened before and I was wondering if something could cause rectifier tubes to keep blowing. I have just noticed some brown gunk around the top of the 5y3 tube where the glass meets the black plastic - Is this just a sign of a dodgy tube (if anything at all)?

While I'm here - I always go to standby to switch between wattages; I'm sure it's not necessary - any thoughts?

Thanks

mARKw said:
Getting value for money here with more than one question per post.

1. Strange... There's no reverb on my LSS. I turned it up on channel 1 & 2, switched between bright and warm, and still no reverb - at all. I did check to see the reverb jack is plugged in and gave it a wiggle!
Anybody had this problem before or know what the cause might be?

2. I don't think it's related, but I also have no sound when switched in 5w & 15w modes. (I assume this is because the rectifier tube isn't glowing!). This has happened before and I was wondering if something could cause rectifier tubes to keep blowing. I have just noticed some brown gunk around the top of the 5y3 tube where the glass meets the black plastic - Is this just a sign of a dodgy tube (if anything at all)?

While I'm here - I always go to standby to switch between wattages; I'm sure it's not necessary - any thoughts?

Thanks

I'll answer these in reverse order. :)

2) The LSS tube rectifier is a known issue. People seem to have success by using NOS (new old stock) tubes. Apparently there is a mod that can be done to prevent tubes from frying. If you do a quick search, you'll find the info.

1) I'd be surprised if this wasn't a tube issue. Check your manual for which preamp tube drives the reverb and replace it with a known good 12AX7.

Hey, thanks. I might look into getting a NOS tube - I had a search but couldn't really track down what I was looking for amongst all the other talk about mods.

Regarding the reverb issue, if you did indeed make sure the jacks are plugged in to both the amp and the tank, try swapping out v4 for a known-to-be-functional 12ax7 (any will do). If it's neither of those things, it could be the reverb transformer, in which case I hope your warranty is still in effect... that crapped out on my LSC, the only warranty repair I've had to make.

I figured out how to get those silver sleeves off and have a look at the 12ax7. I don't know how to tell if a tube is bad or good... so I plugged it back in, and it glows. I guess it could be the reverb transformer. How long did you say the warranty is on these things?

Back