Replacment tubes for Triple Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter893

Reaction score
Just bought a triple Rectifier (3ch) for the studio off Ebay.

Im gonna replace the tubes. Im pretty sure im replacing the powertubes with JJ EL34 L (l like the tighter lowend EL34s give) Ill check out l6s another time.

How about pre amp tubes. should I stick with boogies 12ax7s or go with JJs or something else.

Also the rectifier tubes, what should I do there? no clue.

Thoughts, suggestions, and opinions all welcome. Tell me why you like what you've suggested.

thanks everyone

Pete

The SED =C= EL 34"s are a super nice EL-34 for rock. I use an RFT for V1, but the new Tung-Sols are really nice for V1. For V2 to V5 I mix JJ's and Chinese.

dennq45 said:
The SED =C= EL 34"s are a super nice EL-34 for rock. I use an RFT for V1, but the new Tung-Sols are really nice for V1. For V2 to V5 I mix JJ's and Chinese.

That's pretty much what I'd say, although I use 6L6s. I've got some Russians in V2-V5 my amp right now, though, and I'm pretty happy with those, too. The TungSol is definitely my V1 of choice, though...

What kind of sound are the tung-sol's giving?

also on the EL34L from JJ they say "slightly higher grid voltage (-13.5 to -16.5 vs -10 to -13.5 volts"
will this be an issue installing these in the triple rec in el34 mode.

Should I have bias trim pot installed?

whats happping in V1 and why is that the spot to install a different tube?

Also, still on pre amp tubes. some companies/vendors offer matched and balanced triode. whats that all about?

thanks again

Pete

Go to Groove Tubes. Groove Tubes actually explains why you would need a certain tube with different ratings/characteristics. There's actually a lot of information regarding tubes that you really should learn about before you spend money on them. Groove Tubes can help. Myles is the man. It is more costly, but worth it.

peter893 said:
What kind of sound are the tung-sol's giving?

whats happping in V1 and why is that the spot to install a different tube?

Also, still on pre amp tubes. some companies/vendors offer matched and balanced triode. whats that all about?

It's highly argued, but "matched and balanced" triodes - both "sides" of the tube having matched output specs, to give the shorthand version - should only really matter much for the phase inverter.

V1 is the first stage of the preamp. It's where most of the tone is actually generated, so that tube makes the most difference in how an amp will sound.

The TungSols are harmonically rich, fairly high-gain, and very "musical", if that helps...

eaeolian said:
The TungSols are harmonically rich, fairly high-gain, and very "musical", if that helps...

what kind of high gain. is it fuzzy or (the bad kind)

but again
the EL34L from JJ they say "slightly higher grid voltage (-13.5 to -16.5 vs -10 to -13.5 volts"

Pete

peter893 said:
eaeolian said:

what kind of high gain. is it fuzzy or (the bad kind)

but again
the EL34L from JJ they say "slightly higher grid voltage (-13.5 to -16.5 vs -10 to -13.5 volts"

I'm not an EL34 user, but Eurotubes has a good rep for matching tunes to the amp correctly.

To answer the TungSol question: It's the "good kind" of gain - not fizzy, very smooth and musical, but still having good output so it drives the other stages hard. For example, I know people who run a 12AT7 - a much lower gain tube - in V1 to help the clean sound. However, I'm not very fond of what the lower gain in V1 does to the rest of the gain structure when using channels 2 & 3. The TungSol is still high gain enough to drive the way I like, but has a much smoother, more musical tone than the Mesa Russian II it replaced.

Ya im really unsure on the EL34s, I might just stick with 6l6s and try EL34 in there in the future.

So, ya Eurotubes tube kits all JJs

Mesa Triple Rec GZ34 Rectifier Upgrade
Price: 42.00
Description: If you like the Rectifier tube sound but you find the stock 5U4's too mushy then here is the answer! Three of the JJ GZ34's which are plug and play. These will maintain the Rectifier tone but put the mush on hold.

Mesa Triple Rec High gain retube kit with 6L6GC's
Price: 143.50
Description: A Sextet of JJ 6L6GC's for a deeper tone from the power section. For the front end 3 hand picked high gain JJ ECC83S's for V1, V2, V3, a standard ECC83S for V4 and a balanced ECC83S for V5. Lots of depth and a scorching lead tone.

OR

Mesa Triple Rec High gain retube kit with E34L's
Price: 127.00
Description: A Sextet of JJ E34L's for a crunchy, punchy tone from the power section. For the front end 3 hand picked high gain JJ ECC83S's for V1, V2, V3, a standard ECC83S for V4 and a balanced ECC83S for V5. Get a little Marshall on your Mesa with gain for miles!

Then maybe in the future try out a Tong-sol in V1

what do you think?

Pete

It depends on what you do, and how you set the amp.

I don't use the tube rectifiers at all, so I have no opinion there.

If you like EL34s, get that kit - I found the JJ preamp tubes to be too dark for my liking, which is why I went back to mostly Mesas, with the TungSol in V1. Worst case, if it's too dark for you - which it probably won't be with EL34s - you'll probably be happy...

But I can't recommend the TungSol enough. It's the best $15 you can spend on the amp (unless the power tubes are just COMPLETELY dead.)

not to jack the thread, but where could i get Tunsol preamp tubes or where do you guys go for your's?

i've been running JJ GZ34 rectifier tubes and they sound fantastic! i personally love JJ tubes and i'm actually getting a set of the EL-34L's + the JJ preamp tubes and i'm very excited to see how they sound. i've been using Mesa 6l6 tubes and they sound fine to me but again, i'd love to hear how the JJ 6l6 tubes sound.

Well... its for studio use. For clients. doing mostly rock based stuff, metal, alt rock, punk rock.
I currently have a Marshall JMP aswell.

I think I want a truer boogie sound (if there is such a thing) thats the only reason why i would stay with the 6l6's. right?
Does that mean I should just get all boogie tubes. but it costs a little more almost 100bucks more.

I will always be trying different tubes and combos.
In the future I will be trying the EL34s as well as different preamp tubes.

Kind of looking for a good solid start/retube of this ebay bought triple rec.

turmoil said:
not to jack the thread, but where could i get Tunsol preamp tubes or where do you guys go for your's?
http://www.tubedepot.com/ts-12ax7.html

peter893 said:
Well... its for studio use. For clients. doing mostly rock based stuff, metal, alt rock, punk rock.
I currently have a Marshall JMP aswell.

I think I want a truer boogie sound (if there is such a thing) thats the only reason why i would stay with the 6l6's. right?
Does that mean I should just get all boogie tubes. but it costs a little more almost 100bucks more.

I will always be trying different tubes and combos.
In the future I will be trying the EL34s as well as different preamp tubes.

Kind of looking for a good solid start/retube of this ebay bought triple rec.

If you want what people associate with a Recto, get the 6L6 high-gain retube kit, and buy one TungSol for V1, and you can swap them out depending on what the artist is looking for. (It doesn't take long to switch V1.) 6L6s are *definitely* the sound most associated with Mesas.

eaeolian said:
If you want what people associate with a Recto, get the 6L6 high-gain retube kit, and buy one TungSol for V1, and you can swap them out depending on what the artist is looking for. (It doesn't take long to switch V1.) 6L6s are *definitely* the sound most associated with Mesas.
Ya I think thats what im going to do. using the TungSol for that option. I think this will be A nice versatile setup.

thanks eaeolian for your thoughts

Pete

peter893 said:
eaeolian said:
Ya I think thats what im going to do. using the TungSol for that option. I think this will be A nice versatile setup.

thanks eaeolian for your thoughts

No problem. Let us know how it sounds!

Is anybody running Tung-Sol 12AX7s in all positions? I've considered doing that. I know a guy that put all Tung-Sols in a Bogner Uberschall and he thinks it took the amp to a whole different (better) level.

Latest posts

Back