Rectoverb combo; what's the story with the loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polaris20

Reaction score
Does it just not work well with pedals and works fine with rack gear like the G Major? Or does it not like effects at all (which would make a pretty useless effects loop)?

Reason being, I was set on the Express. I went in again today (they're probably getting sick of me) and played the Express again, along with the Stiletto Ace. The Ace just isn't my thing like I thought it was. I prefer the smoother 6L6 sound.

The Express is great; really nice sounding amp. It just doesn't have enough gain on its own, and I really don't want to have to use a boost or distortion box.....I'd rather it be an option. Besides, boosting the Express with an 808 today at the store still didn't do what I wanted it to do.

The guy working there, noticing I was disappointed, said "Try the ROV combo". I said "no, no.....I don't want a Recto".

He insisted I just try it with an open mind, and well......here I am now wanting one.

My only apprehension is the issues I've seen with the effects loop. I know I want the Recto sound now in a 1x12 combo. The only other option besides the ROV (for a 1x12 combo) is the Roadster, which, as cool as it is, is another $500 bucks. Ouch!

This just keeps getting more expensive!!

bump!

Nobody owns this amp and can say what effects (rack vs. pedals) it works well with?

Come on, I just sold my JSX and a guitar, and need an amp!!! I know it's gonna be a Boogie! :lol:

polaris20 said:
bump!

Nobody owns this amp and can say what effects (rack vs. pedals) it works well with?

Come on, I just sold my JSX and a guitar, and need an amp!!! I know it's gonna be a Boogie! :lol:

The key for me is to make sure the output (amp master) is much higher than the channel master. This way the pedals aren't getting a pre-amp boost which tends to distort them. (this is per mesa BTW)
I've used an Ibanez DE-7, Washburn Analog and Visual Sound H2O delays and Washburn, Boss Ch-1, Ibanez CF-7 choruses...not many issues with any of them. I also keep the effects level maxed on the amp.
And I agree about the Express series, nice amps but the gain tone is good not great.

I wonder if the gentlemen I've been tormenting at the music store would let me bring my pedals in to try it. :D

I think it's that any modulation and time based effects (ie, the ones you would most likely end up putting in the FX loop) could end up messed up sounding since the loop always mixes the wet and dry signal (you can't have 100% wet), which can result in out-of-phase funkiness. A lot of people mod those parallel loops to be serial and end up seeming pretty happy about it.

I don't have first hand experience with this. I'm just regurgitating what I've read around here-- there's tons of topics about this if you search.

I have a series II Rectoverb head and I run an MXR 10 band EQ and a Boss DD-3 delay in the loop with no problems at all.
I have a Boss ME-50 and it's not usable in the loop.
I run that in the loop of my JSX, that loop is great.
I need to keep the Channel volume down below 10:00 or I get modulation problems.
I will probably do the mod on mine or just pony up for a roadster head.
I'm just waiting out the whole mark V thing before I make a move.

BTW the Rectoverb and JSX sound great together in stereo.

You should definitely take your guitar and pedals in to try them out with the ROV. That's what sold me on my series 1 ROV. A pedal that sounds awesome with one amp may not sound as good with a different amp.

I went in to buy a Marshall, played every high end amp in the store, and the only one I liked was the ROV. I took my Boss ME-5 in a couple of days later and they sounded great together. My only complaint with the ROV? It weighs a million pounds!

My 2 cents. :D

kmanick said:
I have a series II Rectoverb head and I run an MXR 10 band EQ and a Boss DD-3 delay in the loop with no problems at all.
I have a Boss ME-50 and it's not usable in the loop.
I run that in the loop of my JSX, that loop is great.
I need to keep the Channel volume down below 10:00 or I get modulation problems.
I will probably do the mod on mine or just pony up for a roadster head.
I'm just waiting out the whole mark V thing before I make a move.

BTW the Rectoverb and JSX sound great together in stereo.

Hey, KManick, Jeff from SS.org. I actually sold the JSX; ships out this weekend. Also sold my Schecter ATX.

Actually the more I read about the Roadster, the more enticing it is. Plus a $500 difference isn't that big of a deal in the long run, if I actually keep the amp more than a year!

I too will be waiting to see if there's a MkV.....I don't know how common it is, but I'm someone who actually really like both the Rectifier sound (well now I do) and the Mark sound.

Back