Rectoverb Cleans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Guys I tried an experiment the other day which I found interesting.
I have a Crate V32 class A 30 watter and a Rectoverb combo. The Crate has some "designed for Crate" Celestion Palomino speaker and the ROV has the Celestion Black Shadow (Celestion 80?).
Anyway, I switched speakers (and technically cabinets) and found that the Crate got a lot heavier response with the Black Shadow and the ROV got brighter with the Palomino. The cleans became much more alive, leading me to believe that part of the perceived problem with the ROV clean is the physical makeup of the enclosure/speaker.

The C90 Black Shadow isn't a production Celestion and is made specifically for Mesa. From what I've read the closest tonally is the Classic Lead 80 (C80) . It's not considered a re-label of the C80 but there are those that will tell you it is! :?
lookslikemeband said:
Isn't it a C90 Celestion?

Hey Raz, how's it been going?

I've always thought the ROV was a weird design?? I was also never really fond of hte stock speaker and liked my combo better ran through a 2x12 cab (Genz Benz G-Flex at the time).

I've recently ran my Roadster combo through my AC30's Alnico Celestion Blue and the cleans were even more lively than with the stock V-30. A speaker can make a big difference and if you get a chance to and know some people that have different cabs, it's fun to hear what your amp can sound like with different speakers....... who knows, maybe you'll end up swapping out speakers??

hey J...It's going good...I'm still jealous of your Roadster 8)
I was surprised how much of a difference a simple switch like that made...I almost pulled the trigger on a G-flex but the band I was working on at the time fell thru...Any suggestions on speaker types for the ROV?
BTW - I'm thinking of throwing a V30 into my Crate V32 just for grins...don't think I'm ready to spring for an Alnico Blue just yet..

tele_jas said:
Hey Raz, how's it been going?

I've always thought the ROV was a weird design?? I was also never really fond of hte stock speaker and liked my combo better ran through a 2x12 cab (Genz Benz G-Flex at the time).

I've recently ran my Roadster combo through my AC30's Alnico Celestion Blue and the cleans were even more lively than with the stock V-30. A speaker can make a big difference and if you get a chance to and know some people that have different cabs, it's fun to hear what your amp can sound like with different speakers....... who knows, maybe you'll end up swapping out speakers??

franken...what style of music do you play? The reason I ask is that it seems like there's a huge difference in tone requirements between the blues-rock-metal guys.
I fall into the hard rock/80's metal category (Journey/Whitesnake, etc)

frankencat said:
I put a V30 in my ROV and I like it much better than the stock C90.

Back