Rectoverb....6L6 0r EL34???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
So I got the Rectoverb yesterday.

Needs new tubes though. Tends to sound really muddy, and this is through a Lonestar 2x12 with Hellatone 60L's (Vintage 30's) in it.

The cab is normally a little brighter.

My last one was a combo and had EL-34's in it. It really sounded great.

What do you guys use. I'm not looking for the typical Doug's Tubes answer. I have a set in my DC-5 and they have their ups & downs.

I'm using 6L6 tubes... However, I tend to keep my mid at around 1h30, bass at 9h30 and treble at noon. My gain is around 1h30. I have a compressor (Monte Album Boss CS3) and an eq (Monte Album Boss GE7) in front w/ higher lever than the bypassed signal to push the pre-amp. I also have another parametric eq and other effects in the loop w/ the G-major. I get this way the tight fluid lead sound I want.

I also tried EL34 with this same setup. Back off the mid and add a little more bass and I found that there's just a subtle change in sound... The same between another brand of 6L6... I like both of them but I keep the 6L6. You better tried by yourself which tube you like most.

Ibanez said:
I'm using 6L6 tubes... However, I tend to keep my mid at around 1h30, bass at 9h30 and treble at noon. My gain is around 1h30.

That's how I run mine as well. I use a DS on my GT-8 for a boost sometimes too. Sounds great to my ears...

I've tried EL34s and I just don't like them that much. I love the SED =C= 6L6s though!

Thanks man,

I want to get the tone I'm looking for from the amp, then add pedals or my G-Major. I have found that this works best for me.

I'll give them a try and see what I think. I was just curious what other guys are doing.

Mine has JJ's in it right now. It also came with a set of STR 430's, which I might try.

I've got tons of tubes laying around, but not enough time to try them all out. Nice problem to have.

6L6

I don't know why, but the recto feel is a bit off with EL34. Find the lead a bit more agressive yet subtle too with 6L6, with the EL34 it is only subtle.

Back