Rectoverb 50 s2 6L6 to EL34 questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph1597

Reaction score
I have a rectoverb 50 series 2 combo amp. Which specific Mesa Boogie EL34 tubes can be installed in this amp? Will changing from 6L6 to EL34 tubes change the sound in this amp very much?

Any Mesa EL34s will work.

Yes, it'll change the sound a fair bit, especially if you play at real volume. I'm gonna oversimplify here and say that in a Recto, EL34s give you more 'aggression' and 'cut', and 6L6s give you clarity, "punch", and frequency range. My experience is that if you like Recto sounds, like 90s-2000s hard rock, modern extreme metal, or you play anything that isn't 'heavy', stick with the 6L6s. If you want a more classic rock/metal sound where the guitar is sitting right in the midrange and the front of the mix, EL34s. EL34s give you some really good sounds in mid- to high-gain but they reduce the versatility of the amp.

Just in terms of personal preference, my buddy plays a Roadster but only ever uses Ch2 Brit and Ch3 Vintage. EL34s sound great there. On the ROV I used to have and the TOV I have now, I tried EL34s first but ended up with 6L6s because I've already got a couple 'real' EL34 amps and I want my Recto to sound like a Recto.

You will basically never get power tube saturation in a Recto (and you don't really want it, they're not designed for that) so that's not the issue, it's just the basic difference in voicing between EL34 amps and 6L6 amps.

Latest posts

Back