Rectoverb 25 Combo vs Roadster Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
screamingdaisy said:
I started typing this last night, but went to bed before I could finish...

Thanks. Like I say, I'm pretty sold on the A-Bomb. I'll keep the Holydiver mentioned by Mr. French as plan B. IMO, I'll likely like both options, so if the A-Bomb isn't quite what I'm looking for in the the LP I'll just move it to another guitar.

A-Bomb is guaranteed to sound great in a production LP so if you keep one of those around specifically for this task, you'll be good to go. If it works in the R9 you can flip that guitar if you're only wanting one or two LPs.

In the last week I sold my SG, one of my LPs and consigned an Orange 4x12. In return I walked out with a PRS SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow and will have around $2300 once the cab sells. I also have a second Orange 4x12 that's going in for consignment once the first sells, and I may put up another LP (the one with P90s).

For the time being I'm going to mull my options.

Option A is to go high and get a PRS 513 to compliment the McCarty, but I want to get my hands on one to try first. On paper the guitar seems like a great idea, but if I don't dig the sounds it makes then It's not worth getting. I've tried getting proper Strats in the past and didn't really dig them, but used correctly I love their lead sound. I'm hoping a more contemporary take on the Super-Strat concept might scratch that itch, and since the 513 is kind of a Strat & Fat-Strat all in one, I'll likely find it more usable than one with all singles.

Option B is to go low and pick up a couple more SE/S2s. That Soundgarden kick I went on has me interested in alternate tunings, so I'm thinking about getting a couple of cheaper axes that I can afford to dedicate to such a task. I was really impressed watching their live performances and hearing the variety of tones Thayil was getting just by changing guitars/tunings and not touching the amps or effects. In the past I was of the mindset that all I really needed was one killer guitar and a variety of amplifiers to use for different sounds. Now I'm starting to lean towards having a couple of choice amplifiers and a bunch of different guitars to get me a variety of sounds (and truthfully, since starting down this road it seems to be proving true). If I go with this option it's where I'm leaning towards adding a 7 string, and maybe a baritone. The Semi-Hollow I already have I'm leaning towards using for open tunings & slide. Lastly, I'd like a high output axe with a thinner neck and trem.

Option C - Options A & B are based on buying new. Option C is to wait and buy used.

Godin Redline III is a great option for an inexpensive, used, trem equipped super strat. I didn't like the stock pickups so I gutted the thing and put in passives.

My advice: You have an R9 and a PRS McCarty already. Those are some great guitars. It makes the most sense to get some bang for your buck instruments to experiment with alternate tunings. Upgrading pickups on PRS SE guitars goes a long way and they still end up costing a fraction of a high end instrument and they play surprisingly well for the money. Godins are another such option.

As for the LP... I'm waiting to see which way I go with the options above.

I'm so curious how you are going to like the A-Bomb ^_^

I tried laying down some new tracks after work yesterday but was thwarted by the arrival of my 2-1/2 year old. He's at the stage where he loves my pedalboard, so the last 45 seconds on the right track is him pressing pedals and telling me what colour the LEDs were. So, I abandoned that project and spent the rest of the evening taking a crash course in how to better use Logic. The drums are now separated onto individual tracks (so I can put reverb on the snare & toms) and run with parallel compression. The bass is bi-amp'd with compression on the clean amp. The guitars have the top end rolled off starting around 2k.

LOL. Little kids are such monkeys. And they like to stay up at night... Can't ever get peace and quiet to record =-o

Whereas v4 had a giant separation between the guitars and the bass, this one sounds more cohesive.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Screamingdaisy%20-%20Supa%20Scuppa%20v5.mp3

Today, I have off and the wife is at work... so I'm going to put down new tracks with the LP then repeat it with the McCarty. I'm switching to an SM57.

Fun. I just had a new mic arrive today but it is for a job I am working on. It's for acoustic guitar, Cello, and Voice!

And now, with 100% more SM57.

Guitars have no processing on them. No changes to any settings, just swapped guitars and hit record.

Les Paul
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Screamingdaisy%20-%20Supa%20Scuppa%20v6%20Les%20Paul.mp3

McCarty
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Screamingdaisy%20-%20Supa%20Scuppa%20v8%20McCarty.mp3

Les Paul Raw Tracks
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Screamingdaisy%20-%20Supa%20Scuppa%20Raw%20Les%20Paul.mp3

McCarty Raw Tracks
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Screamingdaisy%20-%20Supa%20Scuppa%20Raw%20McCarty.mp3

Very interesting. Two things stand out to me the most here.

1) The C90 vs the v30 speaker. Speakers shape guitar tone in such an immense way and the upper mid spike of the v30s is unmistakenable.

2) The clarity of the Bare Knuckle pickup vs your two guitars. We can make an argument that my production LP is less clear and resonant than both of your guitars and yet my recorded tone has a clarity and midrange complexity that yours both lack, even with me pushing the strings out of tune by digging in too much with the RH. If I tuned everything and tried to get a keeper take, it would ring out even more. The A-Bomb sounds huge, clear, and open; even moreso than the PRS.

YellowJacket said:
Very interesting. Two things stand out to me the most here.

1) The C90 vs the v30 speaker. Speakers shape guitar tone in such an immense way and the upper mid spike of the v30s is unmistakenable.

2) The clarity of the Bare Knuckle pickup vs your two guitars. We can make an argument that my production LP is less clear and resonant than both of your guitars and yet my recorded tone has a clarity and midrange complexity that yours both lack, even with me pushing the strings out of tune by digging in too much with the RH. If I tuned everything and tried to get a keeper take, it would ring out even more. The A-Bomb sounds huge, clear, and open; even moreso than the PRS.

I'm not sure how much of that I'd lay on the pickup. You're worried that you hit the strings hard enough to pull them out of tune. I'm heavy on the attack (most of my guitars have string wear on the pickups and rings). Ignoring the obvious differences caused by speakers and mic position, some of what you're attributing to the pickups is probably due to you being a much better/clearer player than I am.

Also, when it comes to huge, clear and open I think the speakers are a big part of the equation here, the MC90 having a bigger response with more top and bottom end and a clearer, more balanced midrange. Whereas the V30 has a reduced top and bottom end and aggressive/punchy midrange that will naturally lead to a more congested sound. But beyond that I suspect that:

1) If I handed you my guitar it would sound better than when I play it, and

2) If I put your pickups in my guitar I still wouldn't have your clarity.

IMO.

Well, tone is definitely in the hands and I won't pretend otherwise.

Now, that being said, I'm looking forward to hearing you playing with an A-Bomb in your guitar. You may be surprised.

YellowJacket said:
Well, tone is definitely in the hands and I won't pretend otherwise.

Nothing puts your playing under the microscope quite like listening to a recording. I'm glad I did it because it's teaching me a lesson. When I was younger someone told me that the reason Eddie Van Halen sounded so good was because he didn't have a lot of gain, so he'd hit the strings really hard in order to drive the amp harder for more breakup. So... I turned down my gain and started hitting the strings harder. I thought I was onto something, but right about now I'd like to go back in time and punch that guy in the face.

I do wish I had it tightened up before putting the first tracks out in public, but if I'd waited until then I wouldn't have anything put out until tomorrow (if at all, considering the conversation would've moved on and we'd all have forgotten about this by now).

In hindsight I probably should've chosen something that was both easier and more familiar. Or opted for a 30 second sound clip. 30 seconds of straight 8ths palm mutes could've sounded pretty epic. Instead you got a 6 minute train wreck with odd time signatures and a few tempo changes. :lol:

screamingdaisy said:
Nothing puts your playing under the microscope quite like listening to a recording. I'm glad I did it because it's teaching me a lesson. When I was younger someone told me that the reason Eddie Van Halen sounded so good was because he didn't have a lot of gain, so he'd hit the strings really hard in order to drive the amp harder for more breakup. So... I turned down my gain and started hitting the strings harder. I thought I was onto something, but right about now I'd like to go back in time and punch that guy in the face.

HAH! Well, one should not pick like a wimp but the goal is not to break strings or the guitar. The guy does deserve a punch in the face. The reason Eddie sounds great I'm sure because he practiced efficiently, systematically, and put in A LOT of hours. I'm pretty sure he had his amps cranked wide open and that there was a mountain of gain!

I do wish I had it tightened up before putting the first tracks out in public, but if I'd waited until then I wouldn't have anything put out until tomorrow (if at all, considering the conversation would've moved on and we'd all have forgotten about this by now).

I've actually quite enjoyed contributing to your tone quest ^__^
RE: Works in progress, when I was working on my Doctorate in Music Composition, I was working on a String Quartet. It was essentially a bunch of sketches and yet I insisted on trying to pitch it to ensembles. "It'll be good when it's done." Nobody believed me =-/ It's hard to show people things with your pants down. I did that here a few times too, just posting random stuff that I really did not put work on and I regretted it every time. People judge you on what you do, even if you tell them repeatedly that it is just a WIP and was not a SERIOUS attempt at something great. Through all this I have learned a valuable lesson: I am working on assembling a professional sounding composition portfolio which I will use to advertise and apply for big gigs.

[edit] here is a short score I composed for a mobile game. I realize this is off topic but I shouldn't be slapping my gums without showing something. This is a retro inspired score and it was loads of fun to work on! https://mirrorforge.bandcamp.com/album/jumjup-ost

(When I finally finished the String Quartet, it turned out fine and I'm very pleased with it)

In hindsight I probably should've chosen something that was both easier and more familiar. Or opted for a 30 second sound clip. 30 seconds of straight 8ths palm mutes could've sounded pretty epic. Instead you got a 6 minute train wreck with odd time signatures and a few tempo changes. :lol:

I think you just figured out my trick ;)

I was thinking about pickups and this thread today. I brought my JB up close to the strings for the compression and extra kick. The treble side is a little under where it is "supposed to be" in relation to the bass side. It was nice. Fat for a JB. The funny thing is that my clean stayed clean this time.

YellowJacket said:
I've actually quite enjoyed contributing to your tone quest ^__^
RE: Works in progress, when I was working on my Doctorate in Music Composition, I was working on a String Quartet. It was essentially a bunch of sketches and yet I insisted on trying to pitch it to ensembles. "It'll be good when it's done." Nobody believed me =-/ It's hard to show people things with your pants down. I did that here a few times too, just posting random stuff that I really did not put work on and I regretted it every time. People judge you on what you do, even if you tell them repeatedly that it is just a WIP and was not a SERIOUS attempt at something great.

Yeah... it's hard to compete in this day an age. On one hand you have guys that have years of experience producing polished youtube videos, and on the other you have hacks that just stuck a mic in front of a speaker and hit record. I'm always a little embarrassed by the product.

[edit] here is a short score I composed for a mobile game. I realize this is off topic but I shouldn't be slapping my gums without showing something. This is a retro inspired score and it was loads of fun to work on! https://mirrorforge.bandcamp.com/album/jumjup-ost

(When I finally finished the String Quartet, it turned out fine and I'm very pleased with it)

Remind's me of the 90s.

Here's a gig I did in Winnipeg back in 2008. Probably not what most will expect.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk17TWVcwrI

afu said:
I was thinking about pickups and this thread today. I brought my JB up close to the strings for the compression and extra kick. The treble side is a little under where it is "supposed to be" in relation to the bass side. It was nice. Fat for a JB. The funny thing is that my clean stayed clean this time.

Playing with pickup height is usually a very productive exercise.

screamingdaisy said:
Yeah... it's hard to compete in this day an age. On one hand you have guys that have years of experience producing polished youtube videos, and on the other you have hacks that just stuck a mic in front of a speaker and hit record. I'm always a little embarrassed by the product.

At least playing guitar and recording takes talent! It's kind of frustrating with all the amateur composers hawking their work that they made with cracked sound libraries.

Anyway, I think production is its own, unique beast. I took an interest in recording during my early 20s but everything sounded terrible so I got frustrated and gave up. The technology has increased now to a point that it is far easier for anyone to set up a decent to great home studio for a minimal monetary investment.

In your case, I honestly think you'd be well served to get a good drum sound library. Then you can demo / write your guitar parts, compose and edit the drum part, and then re-record everything. I think the result would be much more favourable.

Once I get the Torpedo Live I'll probably dick around a lot more with recording guitar stuff. I need to improve my drum sequencing abilities so I can get a more realistic result.

Remind's me of the 90s.

Here's a gig I did in Winnipeg back in 2008. Probably not what most will expect.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk17TWVcwrI

What instrument were you playing there? Pipes or Drums? It's really cool to see people who play guitar but who also do something else musically!!

YellowJacket said:
In your case, I honestly think you'd be well served to get a good drum sound library. Then you can demo / write your guitar parts, compose and edit the drum part, and then re-record everything. I think the result would be much more favourable.

Any suggestions?

The two things that've held me back in home recording is the inability to collaborate over song development and having to program drums. I picked up a copy of EZ Drummer years ago and while it was an improvement in the quality of drum samples I found it's sequencer pretty useless and the whole experience soured me to using that kind of software. I wind up manually configuring each note in DAW and the process to construct an entire song is tedious. I seen yesterday while looking up information on DAW that EZ Drummer 2 is more focused on song creation and it looks like it has a vastly improved sequence editor.

I probably should've gotten Superior Drummer but 1) it was crazy expensive, and 2) it seemed more advanced than what I was ready for.

Here's a song I produced from scratch a few years ago. I could run my amplifiers a lot louder back then:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Song12-v7.mp3

Once I get the Torpedo Live I'll probably dick around a lot more with recording guitar stuff. I need to improve my drum sequencing abilities so I can get a more realistic result.

I've been thinking about getting some sort of guitar oriented software/VST plugin so that I can do silent recording, but I don't even know where to start (option overload). It's the same problem I had with Superior Drummer... lots of ad copy saying how it does all these great things, but nothing telling me how well it'll do the really simple things I need it to do.

What instrument were you playing there? Pipes or Drums? It's really cool to see people who play guitar but who also do something else musically!!

I'm on the tenor drum at the far end. I normally play bass or snare but I missed rehearsals and there was something special they wanted to play that I didn't know (not featured in this clip). As a drummer I've played all over the country, travelled internationally, been on TV multiple times and played in events with attendance up to around 500,000. As a guitarist I've played in a few small bands that never went anywhere and talk to people on the internet.

As a highland drummer there's two bands in town that I can walk into right now and be gigging right away. As a guitarist I can't seem to connect with the right people or get anything going...

Sigh... :|

I find that odd that guitarists find this sort of price point expensive: https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-2/
Costs as much as a boutique stomp box!

I hear that superior drummer is good but so far I've been playing around with the libraries in NI Komplete. I got that library because it has a lot of great synth sounds which complement an orchestral library well. (I have East West Hollywood Orchestra Diamond for that)

I'm probably going to get Superior Drummer at some point depending on what job requires it. But if you're using EZ Drummer, I can say that the NI libraries are definitely superior to that.

For recording drums, it is useful to have a midi controller. I don't care about clicking in every midi event because I write a lot of music 'by hand' in finale. It's the same thing and it forces me to think about what I am doing. But, with a midi controller, at least you can hit 'record' and play on the keys in real time. You can get ideas down way faster this way.

I've been thinking about getting some sort of guitar oriented software/VST plugin so that I can do silent recording, but I don't even know where to start (option overload). It's the same problem I had with Superior Drummer... lots of ad copy saying how it does all these great things, but nothing telling me how well it'll do the really simple things I need it to do.

You'll spend $2,000+ on a guitar, so get the Torpedo Live or better yet, Torpedo Studio. It runs as much as a good guitar but it's a load box, cab sim, and mic sim so you're still working with an analog signal from a guitar amp. The other alternative is Axe FX 2. I think either is good, and both are better than a VST. I have Guitar Rig since it came with NI Komplete. I tried working with it and quickly became frustrated. Having to record electric guitar without feedback from an amp was terrible and the tones are really middling, like a Line 6. good for a hobbyist but nowhere near a professional result. I was completely unimpressed. Better to record my amps with the volume almost off!

https://vimeo.com/64578469

An animation I worked on. I used a Peavey Rage 158 for the electric guitar during the 'battle music'. That recording was interesting because the animator wanted a real J RPG / Video Game sort of sound for the soundtrack so I used cheap gear to make it sound like a midi guitar and I copied a campy, VGM style drum loop!!!

As a highland drummer there's two bands in town that I can walk into right now and be gigging right away. As a guitarist I can't seem to connect with the right people or get anything going...

Supply and demand. Or something. As a guitar player I could probably get work if I tried but it wouldn't be good work and it would pay poorly. If I had to gig, I'd rather play bass. Classic rock / drinking music is way more fun to play on Bass anyhow. Beyond that, I think it is normal to have one or two things that are done at a professional level. Everything else suffers as a result of the time demands from the pro endeavours.

For drums and keys, I have FL Studio 12 Producer Version. I've been using it since FL 3.0 and this newest version is freaking awesome. The ability to load any sample you wish adds to the value, as does the piano roll, midi support, comprehensive midi options, the editing, the effects, the massive mixer, and the ability to record (which I finally upgraded to last year, because it feels like a professional program, now) among many, many other things.

There are also lifetime free updates to the newest release of the version a person initially bought. Until I upgraded to Producer, I was using the newest "Fruity" version, for no additional cost, since 1999.

YellowJacket said:
I find that odd that guitarists find this sort of price point expensive: https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-2/
Costs as much as a boutique stomp box!

$180 on Sweetwater. It was still $350 when I was looking, and this was 4 or 5 years ago. Part of my issue is paying that much for software when I don't know how much value I'm going to get out of it and for the most part I can't demo it.

With a stomp box I at least have hardware to show for it, I won't need to pay for upgrades, and if I don't dig it I can sell it and recoup the majority of my expense.

For recording drums, it is useful to have a midi controller. I don't care about clicking in every midi event because I write a lot of music 'by hand' in finale. It's the same thing and it forces me to think about what I am doing. But, with a midi controller, at least you can hit 'record' and play on the keys in real time. You can get ideas down way faster this way.

You're talking one of those controllers that looks like a piano keyboard?

You'll spend $2,000+ on a guitar, so get the Torpedo Live or better yet, Torpedo Studio. It runs as much as a good guitar but it's a load box, cab sim, and mic sim so you're still working with an analog signal from a guitar amp. The other alternative is Axe FX 2. I think either is good, and both are better than a VST. I have Guitar Rig since it came with NI Komplete. I tried working with it and quickly became frustrated. Having to record electric guitar without feedback from an amp was terrible and the tones are really middling, like a Line 6. good for a hobbyist but nowhere near a professional result. I was completely unimpressed. Better to record my amps with the volume almost off!

I have the Bias demo version. Sounds good through computer speakers, but through my monitors it has a terrible phasy/digital sound, which I think is it struggling to produce harmonics. Which, now that I've typed that out, I wonder if that's why digital models typically sound so flat and lifeless? They can manage to create the fundamental sound, but can't replicate the harmonic complexity?

I've heard good things about Torpedo Live, but it'll be awhile before I can afford something like that. What makes the Studio version worth double the price? What's appealing is that it eliminates the need to buy mics, interfaces, etc. Do you know if it's capable of simulating multiple mics simultaneously? Or, can I record a DI and feed it back through the Torpedo for processing? The one effect I'd like to achieve is having two mics on the speaker and a room mic.

Of course, this kind of hits on part of my problem. Money. What I was hoping to do was to find a way to get satisfactory results fairly cheaply, then upgrade over time as I got more confident in my abilities. But, so far all the cheap options have been frustrating enough that I've walked away from the idea. The reason I'm willing to pay a lot for a guitar is because I will use it almost every day for years on end. When you average out the cost over time that works out to relatively cheap entertainment. My R9 is currently at $5/day, but I didn't just run out and buy and R9... I played an Epiphone first, bought a used Gibson USA... worked up over time.

I'd be willing to spend on recording software/hardware if I felt I could achieve similar value, but I haven't been able to get the ball rolling enough to sustain it. I think you hit the nail on the head though... In hindsight I've been focusing too much on the guitar aspect (mics, interface, silent recording, etc), but it's actually the ability to create drum scores that's my biggest bottleneck at the moment.

Supply and demand. Or something. As a guitar player I could probably get work if I tried but it wouldn't be good work and it would pay poorly. If I had to gig, I'd rather play bass. Classic rock / drinking music is way more fun to play on Bass anyhow. Beyond that, I think it is normal to have one or two things that are done at a professional level. Everything else suffers as a result of the time demands from the pro endeavours.

I'd rather play bass too. It's a fundamentally under-appreciated instrument, yet it drives the music and creates half the tone that guitarists who don't know any better are trying to achieve on their own.

But... (IMO) it's really boring to play by yourself.

afu said:
For drums and keys, I have FL Studio 12 Producer Version. I've been using it since FL 3.0 and this newest version is freaking awesome. The ability to load any sample you wish adds to the value, as does the piano roll, midi support, comprehensive midi options, the editing, the effects, the massive mixer, and the ability to record (which I finally upgraded to last year, because it feels like a professional program, now) among many, many other things.

There are also lifetime free updates to the newest release of the version a person initially bought. Until I upgraded to Producer, I was using the newest "Fruity" version, for no additional cost, since 1999.

I remember Fruity Loops. Drove my girlfriend up the wall with it. I think I built Funky Cold Medina on it and left it looping while I tweaked the beat.

Is the Fruity version still free?

screamingdaisy said:
$180 on Sweetwater. It was still $350 when I was looking, and this was 4 or 5 years ago. Part of my issue is paying that much for software when I don't know how much value I'm going to get out of it and for the most part I can't demo it.

With a stomp box I at least have hardware to show for it, I won't need to pay for upgrades, and if I don't dig it I can sell it and recoup the majority of my expense.

Nothing is more frustrating than sub standard equipment giving a sub standard result. $180 is chump change for gear and when you hear the result, it's just worth it. There will always be new libraries but you at least need the tools to do what you have to do. I'm buying in because it is my profession and I really don't have any other choice.

You're talking one of those controllers that looks like a piano keyboard?

Yes. If you get a good one they are relatively inexpensive and you can even get some that allow you to control automation as well.

I have the Bias demo version. Sounds good through computer speakers, but through my monitors it has a terrible phasy/digital sound, which I think is it struggling to produce harmonics. Which, now that I've typed that out, I wonder if that's why digital models typically sound so flat and lifeless? They can manage to create the fundamental sound, but can't replicate the harmonic complexity?

I hear Axe FX 2 is pretty incredible, but there is a lot happening with an analog circuit and that makes it difficult to replicate digitally.

I've heard good things about Torpedo Live, but it'll be awhile before I can afford something like that. What makes the Studio version worth double the price? What's appealing is that it eliminates the need to buy mics, interfaces, etc. Do you know if it's capable of simulating multiple mics simultaneously? Or, can I record a DI and feed it back through the Torpedo for processing? The one effect I'd like to achieve is having two mics on the speaker and a room mic.

I'm not entirely sure how to answer this because I don't have my unit yet. I could have it as early as beginning of feb but it's hard to say for various reasons. But, they do have multiple products. If I understand correctly, the live is designed to use in live situations. The Studio is specifically for recording. The "reload" is specifically for DI / Reamping. And they have software that runs on the computer that you can use to change mics, cabs, mic positions, etc.

Of course, this kind of hits on part of my problem. Money. What I was hoping to do was to find a way to get satisfactory results fairly cheaply, then upgrade over time as I got more confident in my abilities. But, so far all the cheap options have been frustrating enough that I've walked away from the idea. The reason I'm willing to pay a lot for a guitar is because I will use it almost every day for years on end. When you average out the cost over time that works out to relatively cheap entertainment. My R9 is currently at $5/day, but I didn't just run out and buy and R9... I played an Epiphone first, bought a used Gibson USA... worked up over time.

Ya. I'm currently bootstrapping with my business. But ya, it takes time to acquire gear on a living salary.

I'd be willing to spend on recording software/hardware if I felt I could achieve similar value, but I haven't been able to get the ball rolling enough to sustain it. I think you hit the nail on the head though... In hindsight I've been focusing too much on the guitar aspect (mics, interface, silent recording, etc), but it's actually the ability to create drum scores that's my biggest bottleneck at the moment.

Work with the sm57 and the Seinheiser for now. Work on mic placement and learn how to better record vs just jamming. Practicing with a metronome helps a lot.

Your best up front investment would be Superior Drummer 2.0 for logic and, if possible, a midi controller of some sort. That should be minimum $200ish USD for the base drum library and it should make an appreciable difference over what you have now.

I'd rather play bass too. It's a fundamentally under-appreciated instrument, yet it drives the music and creates half the tone that guitarists who don't know any better are trying to achieve on their own.

But... (IMO) it's really boring to play by yourself.

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVGJ3YFDc8

Heinrik Linder is a machine!!

screamingdaisy said:
I remember Fruity Loops. Drove my girlfriend up the wall with it. I think I built Funky Cold Medina on it and left it looping while I tweaked the beat.

Is the Fruity version still free?

LOOOL!!! :shock: :lol:

I have never owned an SM57 and never plan to (long story), but I used to own a Sennheiser e906 which is a great microphone. The design makes mic placement pretty straightforward with only a few useful options available. Plus, it sounds good.

What recording gear do you have by the way? I did not see that mentioned anywhere other than the microphones.

A fully functioning demo is available on their website, with one caveat: You can't save your work, but a song can be exported to finish in another DAW and it allows for exporting individual tracks. It allows a person to check the features and decide which functions the need/want to pay for.

Given To Fly said:
What recording gear do you have by the way? I did not see that mentioned anywhere other than the microphones.

SM57 and e906
M-Audio USB interface (Older model, separate mic and DI inputs, relatively low quality AD converters)
Apogee Jam USB/lightning interface (single DI input, 24 bit/48kbps conversion)
Focal Spirit Pro headphones

MacBook w/ Logic Pro
EZ Drummer

That about sums it up...

YellowJacket said:
Practicing with a metronome helps a lot.

Would've saved a lot of asspain.

Anyway, finished the drum loops. Figured out how to mix it better, added a solo.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37532735/Forum%20Stuff/Supa%20Scuppa%20v10%20Master.mp3

Latest posts

Back