Recto Sounds on new Foo Fighter's CD?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artiefufkin10

Reaction score
I've been listening to the new Foo Fighters album lately..great rock 'n roll CD!!!!!

I'm assuming that Dave Grohl is playing either Roadsters or Roadkings on that album, since that's what it looked like at the Grammy's and on SNL. Anyhow, they sound great on the cd...the over driven sounds are smooth and tight...I don't know what they're doing exactly in the rig, but it almost makes me wish I held onto my Roadster!

I use to know a guy that was friends with dave, he is from this area. Anyway on the earlier albums he used Marshall DSL's because his record company made him, but he always used dual rec's on the road. Then when he got more control he started recording with Dual Rec's then eventually he switched over to roadkings.

Up to this last tour he would use a roadking with a standard 4x12 on each side of the stage. But now it seems both guitarists have switched to a roadking combo every time I have seen them live latley. They also bought back Pat into the group, so now there are three guitarists and i think Pat is using a lonestar.

vertigo_ said:
they use roadking

+1...I've only noticed combos on stage when they play lately. Either way, they sound great...a 100W roadking 2X12 is so loud that they probably don't need the 4X12's when everythings getting sent to the PA anyways..

And I think they brought Pat back as a touring musician.

Off topic too... but I love the guitar tones on the first album... the pretty much just used a Rat pedal from what I read. Great band!

when i saw them here in houston, they were using roadkings with multiple 4x12's on each side of the stage, traditional size. they also had a few lonestars. pat was only out there playing on the newer songs and when they moved to the '2nd' stage for the acoustic portion.

Just validating the posts above...I saw a Foo Fighters live set episode on the Music HD channel, and Dave was playing out of a RK combo, along with the other guitarist.

Last night they were on letterman playing their new single. They were playing through roadking 2x12s and Lonestars. They had three guitar players on stage.

I believe the video on mesa's site shows them with the mesa roadking. But then dave says he mainly uses that for cleans, not distortions, and glides away from that subject.... so although i believe i hear rectifier in his music, there's probably a bunch of other stuff too..

they most likely tour with the mesa's, just because they are unbelievably reliable and easy to use on the road.

but in the studio it wouldnt suprise me if they used a variety of amps from fenders and vox's through to deizels and bogners....just because these amps have far superior tones. i know for a fact that dave toured with a recto and fender twin a few years ago

dave for a fact has used AC-30's on the road a few years ago as well.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/

this is a cool website if you haven't seen it. They don't update it, but it graphically shows various bands amp/effects setups. This is the link to Dave Grohl's from 2000. Back then it was AC30 for clean and DR for dirty.

it seems like the big rig is RKII heads and 4x12s but for TV shows and little gigs they use Combos.

Pap(Pat?) used a Lonestar combo, even at the big rig gig I saw a couple weeks ago.

jab said:
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/

this is a cool website if you haven't seen it. They don't update it, but it graphically shows various bands amp/effects setups. This is the link to Dave Grohl's from 2000. Back then it was AC30 for clean and DR for dirty.

yeah, it hasn't been updated since the guy that made the site started working for guitar world(i think thats the mag). his drawings are in the issues now. the forum there at least still has active people, but like any online forum, there is a certain crowd that dwells there.

Yeah there is no doubt he records with alot of other amps, just alot of the tones he gets. But I tell you when it comes to live, he uses the roadkings, and they had one of the best mesa live sounds I have ever heard, i was blown away with it.

dmcguitar said:
I believe the video on mesa's site shows them with the mesa roadking. But then dave says he mainly uses that for cleans, not distortions, and glides away from that subject.... so although i believe i hear rectifier in his music, there's probably a bunch of other stuff too..

I tend to agree with you, I think it started back during the last MTV music awards, they were stuck in this little room, so I think they got the combo's to cut down on space, and from there they liked them for small appearences.

I havent seen them live recently, so i am not sure if they are using the full stacks or the combo's.
phyrexia said:
it seems like the big rig is RKII heads and 4x12s but for TV shows and little gigs they use Combos.

Pap(Pat?) used a Lonestar combo, even at the big rig gig I saw a couple weeks ago.

Well at the BJCC the backline was as such:

(pap's lonestar) (dave 4x12) (dave rack w/RKII heads) (dave 4x12) (otherdude 4x12) (otherdude RKII rack) (otherdude 4x12)

Back