Recto owners!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robson780

Reaction score
When you have the amp on at band volumes but aren't playing, it's just at idle, do you guys get that fairly loud "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.." ?

Not feedback, just that ambient hiss. You guys know what I mean.

Because my Krank Chadwick with a boost in front hardly makes a peep.

Thanks.

i have an ISP noise gate so i don't get the hiss when not playing. used to with my 5150 back in the days.

-PJ

none on my recto.only slight humming on mine.
could be your preamp tubes.

Really? None of you?

Set yours up on Red-Modern with the gain around 2-3 o'clock, and the amp at band volume. Don't play anything. You can't tell me it's totally dead quiet.

I have an ISP, all other noises are non-existant except the hiss-y noise. I've been told it's the plague of high gain amps.

Robson780 said:
Really? None of you?

Set yours up on Red-Modern with the gain around 2-3 o'clock, and the amp at band volume. Don't play anything. You can't tell me it's totally dead quiet.

I have an ISP, all other noises are non-existant except the hiss-y noise. I've been told it's the plague of high gain amps.

The 5150 definetly does that. The hiss is unbearable sometimes. My friend had one and it was quite hissy at idle. You might be on to something about it being the plague of high gain amps

Sounds like you might have a bad preamp tube. Try swapping out your V1 with V4. If V1 has a slight hiss, you'll hear it all through the amp. That noise just keeps getting amplified by the other gain stages.

Mine is dead quiet at band volume. Not even the slightest hiss. I have to crank the master up to around 12 -1 oclock to get even a slightly noticable hiss. Same settings as yours too.

I've noticed a lot of solid state amps will hiss, and the 5150 has an ungodly hiss at any volume. Some high gain amps will have that hiss at idle because they are amplifying the signal so may times. If there's a dirty signal, that "dirt" gets amplified as well, resulting in hiss.

BTW, that hiss is called "white noise". The next time someone references white noise, you'll know what they mean. This has been Mikey's tip of the day :lol:

mikey383 said:
Sounds like you might have a bad preamp tube. Try swapping out your V1 with V4. If V1 has a slight hiss, you'll hear it all through the amp. That noise just keeps getting amplified by the other gain stages.

Mine is dead quiet at band volume. Not even the slightest hiss. I have to crank the master up to around 12 -1 oclock to get even a slightly noticable hiss. Same settings as yours too.

I've noticed a lot of solid state amps will hiss, and the 5150 has an ungodly hiss at any volume. Some high gain amps will have that hiss at idle because they are amplifying the signal so may times. If there's a dirty signal, that "dirt" gets amplified as well, resulting in hiss.

BTW, that hiss is called "white noise". The next time someone references white noise, you'll know what they mean. This has been Mikey's tip of the day :lol:

Swap V1 into V4 and V4 into V1? You think that'll help?

Haha thats gonna be a *****, I gotta pull all those power tubes, **** Triple Rec.

Thanks though man.

mikey383 said:

what kind of tubes are you using?

chemten said:
mikey383 said:

what kind of tubes are you using?

Stock.

I popped a ECC83s into V1 tonight and I didn't really do anything, but then I set my output a lot higher and the channel master lower and that seemed to help quite a bit.

Try an ECC81 in V1 and maybe one of the gain stages, not sure which one. Probably V2, V3 or V4.

mrd said:
Try an ECC81 in V1 and maybe one of the gain stages, not sure which one. Probably V2, V3 or V4.
Which ones are the gain stages?

And just to make sure, V1 is closest to the input jack, right?

My Triaxis did that shhhhhhh sound you talking about.
But no more when i added the power conditioner.Maybe just a little shhhh.
Suggest you retube it with a new set.

An ECC81 is a lower gain tube than an ECC83. It's basically a 12AT7. I'd stick with the ECC83.

I'm using JJ ECC83s right now, with a Chinese C9 in the V1.

Yes, V1 is closest to the input jack. Then V2 and V3 are additional gain stages, V4 is the effects loop driver, and V5 is the phase inverter.

Retube. I had the same problem 2 weeks ago and thought I had big,big problems. It turns out I had a badly damaged tungsol in V1. I swapped out the whole set with a set of JJ's I had laying around and the hiss was gone immediately.

What tubes you use is a matter of preference. But get some new tubes and swap 'em.

Alright, looks like I'm gonna order up a fresh set of JJs.

Does anyone else have a little buzz when you turn up the output control?
Will that be fixed with new tubes as well?

Robson780 said:
Alright, looks like I'm gonna order up a fresh set of JJs.

Does anyone else have a little buzz when you turn up the output control?
Will that be fixed with new tubes as well?

Hey just so you know. I am running a POD XT into a recto 2:100. I turned my volume all the way up yesterday and listened for hiss. I know it's not the same as a head but yea I had no hiss. :) (i'm running stereo each 100 watt channel of the 2:100 has an input from the pod left and right and i'm running the outputs of the 2:100 into a cab in stereo)

Well yeah.

I heard somewhere that like 95% of problems with tube amps are caused by the tubes.

So I'm gonna throw a whole new set in and see what's goin on.

Back