Rect-O-Verb Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exposeenmity

Reaction score
I've been interested in the Rect-O-Verb for a couple weeks now, but what I want to know is: where the hell is the rectifying tube?! Even in the manual on Mesas site for the Rect-O-Verb, there isn't a rectifying tube on the layout diagram. Is it just me or does that seem odd?

Look on page 20 of both manuals.

Here's the version 1 manual:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/singleRec_v1.pdf

Here's version 2:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/sRec_Sers2.pdf

It labels the 2 6L6 power tubes, and I am assuming the other 5 are 12AX7's. Am I wrong in assuming that?

Rect-O-Verb.jpg

there isn't a rectifier TUBE in the rectoverb! I've got a single recto, about the same amp, but without reverb. The rectification is solid state, therefor no tube. In the dual or triple there is the opportunity to select solid state or tube rectification, but not in the single recto or the rectoverb.
B.R. andershoeg

Wow! I didn't know that, well, obviously. So, is there any noticeable differences in sound with solid state and tube rectifyer's?

well, there is a difference. when I bought my single recto I first tried a triple recto at first. Couldn't really get it to sound right. But I remember that I THOUGHT the tube rectification sounded the best, based on things i read about the tube rectification being a little "loser", thinking it was more suitable for my playing style. However, I couldn't get it to sound as good as I wanted, so I gave the single recto a try. And IMO it sounded much better! Even without the tube rectifier!
Therefor my advice is: try out the recoverb, i'm sure you will NOT be disappointed! At least i wasn't with my single recto!! It is a 50-watt'er, and therefor easier ( than the dual or triple rectos) to drive harder on the powertube-stage. (however it is possible to pull some tubes in them so you can cut down the watts). I can only recommend the single recto (and probably also the rectoverb, never tried it, but...as mentioned, about the same amp)
B.R.
andershoeg

The only rectifier that I've played is the Rect-O-Verb, but the distortion was kick ***. I'll have to go back to my local dealer and play the double or triple to compare. I also felt that the distortion was very tight and defined, but I can't compare that to another Mesa, at least not yet anyway. I've studied electrical circuits and I don't see how the addition of more rectifying tubes influences the sound that much. I mean, mathematically, there isn't much difference between having one or two or even two or three. I guess I would just have to do a side by side test to see if it did in fact make a difference upon the sound.

Well, I've been back to GC about 5 times since I started this thread and I have to say, after all this time of testing Mesa's I don't think that they're for me. I know, I know... The thing is, I've spent probably a total of 3-5 hours the Rect-O-Verb alone and it just isn't as tight as I thought it was. No matter what settings I put it on, the bass isn't super tight.

I play metal and do a lot of palm mutes and I couldn't get that 'stop on a dime' bass sound. I cranked it with different settings, lowered it to bedroom levels and changes settings, looked on this forum for tips and tried them out, and no matter the result, I get flabby sounding bass.

I tried out the Solo 50, DR, and the TR (2ch & 3ch versions) and same result, not so tight bass. I played through Traditional and Standard 4x12's and the Traditional seemed better with the 3ch version TR, but it still wasn't tight enough.

Is there anyway to tight up the bass? Maybe putting an eq in the loop or between the guitar and the amp? Also, when I cranked up the Rect-O-Verb it did seem like the speaker was going to leap out, like it was being held captive.

exposeenmity said:
Well, I've been back to GC about 5 times since I started this thread and I have to say, after all this time of testing Mesa's I don't think that they're for me. I know, I know... The thing is, I've spent probably a total of 3-5 hours the Rect-O-Verb alone and it just isn't as tight as I thought it was. No matter what settings I put it on, the bass isn't super tight.

I play metal and do a lot of palm mutes and I couldn't get that 'stop on a dime' bass sound. I cranked it with different settings, lowered it to bedroom levels and changes settings, looked on this forum for tips and tried them out, and no matter the result, I get flabby sounding bass.

I tried out the Solo 50, DR, and the TR (2ch & 3ch versions) and same result, not so tight bass. I played through Traditional and Standard 4x12's and the Traditional seemed better with the 3ch version TR, but it still wasn't tight enough.

Is there anyway to tight up the bass? Maybe putting an eq in the loop or between the guitar and the amp? Also, when I cranked up the Rect-O-Verb it did seem like the speaker was going to leap out, like it was being held captive.

JJ EL-34L tube from Eurotubes. I had this same problem with my DR and it fixed it right up.

Only problem is you have to take the word of someone with a different ear for tone than you on a message board since you can't really try a tube swap at GC.

Platypus said:
JJ EL-34L tube from Eurotubes. I had this same problem with my DR and it fixed it right up.

Only problem is you have to take the word of someone with a different ear for tone than you on a message board since you can't really try a tube swap at GC.

That's just it though, I don't know if different tubes WILL make it sound how I want and it voids the warranty; I know just put the originals back in. That's funny that you mention I can't do a tube swap at GC, well not non-Mesa ones anyway. The guy I was talking with said, "You want to try it with EL34's?" I was like, "Uh, YEAH!" So he took out a pair of EL34's from a Stiletto and put them in (the solo 50). I personally thought that the 6L6's sounded better.

**** Mesa for making fixed bias amps and selling them with medicore tubes. :x

exposeenmity said:
Huh? Instead of blaming something you know nothing about, you should think about how it is that the sound your trying to achieve is being produced! Perhaps your looking for a sound similiar to Static X or Disturbed? Sounds that are utilizing some of the same equipment you've tried, but with lots of professional studio massaging! Why is it that your looking at Mesa gear anyways? :idea:

exposeenmity said:
Platypus said:

That's just it though, I don't know if different tubes WILL make it sound how I want and it voids the warranty; I know just put the originals back in. That's funny that you mention I can't do a tube swap at GC, well not non-Mesa ones anyway. The guy I was talking with said, "You want to try it with EL34's?" I was like, "Uh, YEAH!" So he took out a pair of EL34's from a Stiletto and put them in (the solo 50). I personally thought that the 6L6's sounded better.

Perhaps a Mesa isn't what you're looking for then. They're infinitely tweakable in my mind, I can dial in lots of wonderful tones with any boogie I've used but they're just not for everyone. Good luck finding what you are looking for.

I don't know man... Mesas are VERY versatile. As mentioned before... shop around... ask questions... be cool... and find YOUR tone you want. Maybe it isn't Boogie?

It's tough trying to find anything decent around me because I'm in the middle of nowhere when I comes to gear (Oklahoma). It's either; Mesa, Marshall, Crate, Fender, or low end Line 6's, all of which I don't really care for. I've heard a lot of talk about the Engl Powerball, but I don't need anything that powerful. I'm seriously second guessing as to whether or not I'm wanting a tube amp. :?

exposeenmity said:
It's tough trying to find anything decent around me because I'm in the middle of nowhere when I comes to gear (Oklahoma). It's either; Mesa, Marshall, Crate, Fender, or low end Line 6's, all of which I don't really care for. I've heard a lot of talk about the Engl Powerball, but I don't need anything that powerful. I'm seriously second guessing as to whether or not I'm wanting a tube amp. :?

Why don't you give us a general description of the sound you are trying to cop or some artists you want to sound sort of like and we might be able to lead you in the right direction?

Another suggestion might be to throw a TS9 tubescreamer in front of your guitar when trying out the amp. I love my Dual Rec but it just doesn't feel 'right' without a good OD in front of it. It really tightens things up when you dial in 9 oclock on the gain and leave the other two at 12.

Unfortunatly I don't think you're gonna find the "chunk" you're looking for out of a Boogie unless you go back a few years to the MK IV (from what I hear). Rectifiers just aren't super tight on the low end, EL34's will tighten it up some but it will still sound like a Rectifier in the long run. There is only one song a night (when I play) that I miss my old Peavey XXX, and thats because the XXX had that super tight thumpin' chuggin' sound going on but overall IMO the Rectifier blows away any amp out there (except on the tight chuggin' stuff) and I will own one for quite a while since I don't need a whole lot of low end chunk and don't think I ever will and if I do, I actually think the Recto has enough for me.

You might check in to the XXX, JSX or MF4 Marshall or one of the higher end amps like an ENGL or Bogner......Or even a Mark IV or F-series amps, they are pretty tight too (huh, didn't think of that until just now). Check out the F-series amps, the contour channel rocks!!

Good luck!

I'm mainly a metal player; we're talking tight, technical, playing and sound, i.e. Death, Dimmu Borgir, a little Bodom, etc. Out of all the Boogies I've played, F series included, I just couldn't get the chug palm mute sound out of 'em. I'm wanting really tight bass response. I was referred to Engl amps and I went to a site called, Rock Solid Amps and they have a TON of Engl clips on there. I think Engl is more of the sound I'm looking for. I just don't have anyone around me that is an authorized seller, they're made in Germany so I highly doubt that Ok will have a dealer.

I would try out the MF4 but that's way too much power for me. And at all the shops where I'm at, no one carries peavey amps. The only stuff I have to choose from is; Mesa, Marshall, Fender, Crate, and low end Line 6 amplifiers.

I think that the Engl Fireball is more towads what I'm looking for, but I just don't like how it only has one eq section for both channels, but the gain and overdrive on that amp slays from the recordings I've heard. Go to http://rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php and check out some of the Fireball clips; that's the sound I'm after and that's the sound I couldn't get out of a Mesa. I guess I'm not looking for the rectifier sound.

I'd also consider the Powerball, but that's a lot of tubes to replace and it's 100 watts.

Have you looked at Krank amps? Those things are high gain monsters...

exposeenmity said:
I'm mainly a metal player; we're talking tight, technical, playing and sound, i.e. Death, Dimmu Borgir, a little Bodom, etc. Out of all the Boogies I've played, F series included, I just couldn't get the chug palm mute sound out of 'em. I'm wanting really tight bass response. I was referred to Engl amps and I went to a site called, Rock Solid Amps and they have a TON of Engl clips on there. I think Engl is more of the sound I'm looking for. I just don't have anyone around me that is an authorized seller, they're made in Germany so I highly doubt that Ok will have a dealer.

I would try out the MF4 but that's way too much power for me. And at all the shops where I'm at, no one carries peavey amps. The only stuff I have to choose from is; Mesa, Marshall, Fender, Crate, and low end Line 6 amplifiers.

I think that the Engl Fireball is more towads what I'm looking for, but I just don't like how it only has one eq section for both channels, but the gain and overdrive on that amp slays from the recordings I've heard. Go to http://rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php and check out some of the Fireball clips; that's the sound I'm after and that's the sound I couldn't get out of a Mesa. I guess I'm not looking for the rectifier sound.

I'd also consider the Powerball, but that's a lot of tubes to replace and it's 100 watts.

Man, I can't believe I forgot about the Peavey 5150!! That amp blows away the XXX and JSX. But like you said, you don't have a Peavey dealer down there, wish there was a way for you check out a 5150 though before jumping on a different amp?

TheRazMeister said:
Have you looked at Krank amps? Those things are high gain monsters...

From what I've heard people say about them and what it sounded like at GC, I'm not interested in Krank. 1. way too expensive, 2. Nothing under 100 watts, and 3. no combos or heads matching number 1 and 2.

I think I'm just going to save up and get the Fireball. If I could sell my amp, I'd get the Powerball that's up on the bay right now.

Back