recording guitar effects?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ2213

Reaction score
when you guys are recording guitars do you usually just use your guitar effects like chorus, delay, reverb, etc or do you insert them with software? i'm finally getting my permanant recording setup finished and starting to work on serious material for the first time so i'm trying to make sure i'm doing everything right. as for the guitar effects i already own, well i have a g-major, xpression, and possibly a digitech studio quad. i'll probably be using chorus and delay the most. and i'll be micing my guitar cab with an sm57 into a m-audio firewire solo.

thanks

Generally I like to record all my guitars dry and add effects later. I usually setup processors on an aux and add effects. I find it's much easier to match effect settings that way and it's more flexible for tweaking purposes and future edits. Hope this helps!

oh and I forgot to add that I usually try to go with processors as much as possible. I find most plugins aren't that great, unless you're using higher end programs & can afford them. I would try both and see what you like more; personally, I'm not a fan of software choruses but the reverbs & delays are OK...

I've been trying to get the guitar sound as close as I can right out of the amp. (I'm still pretty touchy with good mic placement.... :x)
But I've done it both ways, with varying results. Seems like I tend to go overboard a little more when I'm using plug-ins. (too much reverb usually being the first offense)
Honestly, though, most of my experience has been with pretty "dry" type guitar sounds, so a touch of verb, or occasional delay is about as involved as I get....I like the Waves Supertap, myself.

And for the record, there's really no such thing as "right". Good techniques to make you a little more consistent, but most of it's in your ear.
Lots of fun experimenting though, eh? :)

You may find that the effects you are using influence the part you play, true? If you get a really good DI like a Radial you could record a clean track and the speakers with effects. This is one of those things that is done a dozen different ways, all of them incorrect. :D

i use "garageband" on my mac (both are old versions) and find that the more i rely on using their effects, the slower the mac runs. now i only use their delays/ reverb and any tempo-based fx and add the chorus/ distortion before plugging into my m-audio box. if the mac didn't have issues running everything at once, i'd record everything dry and add fx in later, as was previously suggested.

best of luck.

I prefer to record dry, and add effects in later for the most part, unless it's an effect like a subtle chorus, flange, etc.

Time based effects such as delays, tremolo, are best left to add in later, unless you are playing along with the drummer while recording, simply because you're stuck with them once you record, and if it's a little bit off, you have to do the part over.

I like to print FX from the get go myself but I take care to not go overboard with them especially reverb and delay. You can always add more later but you can't take it away. I usually end up with a track I'm happy with and then all that's left to do if find the right compression and EQ to get it to sit in the mix correctly.

Like to record dry myself, add effects later especially time based effects like delay and reverb the only thing I really will print is a wah. But like allot of things this is not written in stone it depends on the environment.

I put my G•Major after my mic preamps. NOT in the FX loop of the amp. The good thing about plug-ins, though, is that you can take 'em out later.

Latest posts

Back