Recommend me some tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdgiffin

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2 Ch. Dual Recto Rev. G and am looking to swap the tubes. The previous owner had put in Mesa EL34s in the power section and I'm not sure what are in the Pre's. I am looking for some tubes that will help tighten the low end but still be full, darken up the 2nd channel (a little bit fizzy for my taste) and pronounce the mids a bit more. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

S|G

My fav set up in my "late (rip)" rev G was sovtek 12ax7lps's and SED 6l6gc's. Should take care of everything you are looking to address.

I use the not so high gain 6L6 package from Eurotubes. They brought my Mesa back to life for sure.

When I bought my head, it had the same Mesa EL34 power section and a mostly Groove Tube preamp section. This sounded like a cow dying.

A lot of people hate on JJ tubes here for some reason, but bang for buck, you can't beat them.

KH Guitar Freak said:
Try the Mesa SPAX7 preamp in V1... :mrgreen:

Please elaborate. What tonal qualities does this tube bring to the table?

If you really want to learn a little about tubes and tone, check out this guy's site:

http://www.tone-lizard.com

lots of info regarding tubes, speakers, resistors, capacitors, etc.

ty

thunda1216 said:
If you really want to learn a little about tubes and tone, check out this guy's site:

http://www.tone-lizard.com

lots of info regarding tubes, speakers, resistors, capacitors, etc.

ty

Awesome! Thanks.

I think I might go with the High Gain Front End set of JJ ECC83S's for the pre's and SED 6L6GC for the power amp. Anyone try this combo?

sdgiffin said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
Try the Mesa SPAX7 preamp in V1... :mrgreen:

Please elaborate. What tonal qualities does this tube bring to the table?

Tighter and quieter, the amount of low end and high end gain is more apparent and useable...

Latest posts

Back