Recommend me Roadster Hi-gains settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grunge782

Reaction score
So I just received my Roadster. I also own a 3 channel Dual Rectifier Solo which I was hoping to replace with the Roadster, but I can't seem to get the hi-gain sounds nearly as good sounding as my Solo.

I have strange tastes, in that I like a really loose hi-gain tone. On my solo head, I use the recto tubes, but I have the power set to bold.

I have both channels 3 and 4 on Roadster set to 50 watt, spongy, and recto tracking to get it as loose as possible. I keep trying to mess with it, but the hi-gain tones sound too rounded and feel too tight compared to my DR.

Is this just something inherent with the amp or can certain settings get it closer the Solo head?

I really want to just keep the Roadster over the DR because I LOVE the clean channel. The second I started playing the cleans, I knew that was that really fat, sustaining clean tone I had been looking forever for.

I almost feel cursed that I finally found my favorite clean tone and hi-gain tone within the same amplifier line, but can't have it in one amp.

EDIT: Here is the kind of tone I am going for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ28J1pa2mk

It's the nature of the beast. With the Roadster you get "Recto Flavor" but it isn't as aggressive as the Solo Heads because the Roadsters were designed to cover a variety of music styles that the Solo Heads can't (to aggressively voiced). The Solo Heads were designed with heavier music in mind whereas the Roadster was designed with versatility in mind. A compromise in tone had to be made in the making of the Roadster to make it as versatile as it is.

Have you taken a look at the New Reborn Dual and Triple Rectifiers? The reason I ask is because they have improved clean channels. My idea is that maybe the 2010 Reborns cleans would work well enough for you that you could make do with them and still retain the high gain channels of the Solo Head. Just an idea......

get with doug at dougstubes he can recommend some things that might help, he really helped me fatten up and tighten up my stage 1 duece

GuitarGuy503 said:
It's the nature of the beast. With the Roadster you get "Recto Flavor" but it isn't as aggressive as the Solo Heads because the Roadsters were designed to cover a variety of music styles that the Solo Heads can't (to aggressively voiced). The Solo Heads were designed with heavier music in mind whereas the Roadster was designed with versatility in mind. A compromise in tone had to be made in the making of the Roadster to make it as versatile as it is.

Have you taken a look at the New Reborn Dual and Triple Rectifiers? The reason I ask is because they have improved clean channels. My idea is that maybe the 2010 Reborns cleans would work well enough for you that you could make do with them and still retain the high gain channels of the Solo Head. Just an idea......

Hmm... that is too bad. I was hoping I just was dialing in mine wrong.

I have not tried the new Rectifiers yet.

It is just that the cleans on the Roadster are so perfect for what I want (and I have played a lot of good clean amps).
If the new Rectifiers can get that ( I use the fat mode on the Roadster) then I would for sure go for one of those. However, from what I found they only have the clean/pushed modes on the new Rectifiers.

It looks like I might have to compromise between what tone I use more, which I was hoping was something I wouldn't have to do.

Do you happen to know what specifically makes the orange and red channels on the Roadster so different than the Solo head? Maybe I can change a few components and get it much closer to the Solo head.

Steve@Russo said:
get with doug at dougstubes he can recommend some things that might help, he really helped me fatten up and tighten up my stage 1 duece

That is a good idea, though I am not sure how much tubes will do for what I want. I doubt he gets a request for tubes that make a metal amp looser... :lol:

So anybody at least have some recommended settings for a loose and aggressive, metal tone on the Roadster?

I wouldn't have it on the spongy setting, and I'd open it up to 100 watts, I prefer the loop bypassed.

grunge782 -- I am glad you finally got your Roadster.

These settings give me the best crunch and high gain sounds on the Roadster, but keep in mind that this is with the loop disengaged -- which means, no output or solo control.

This may seem unconventional, but I think Mesa put the Treble controls in the Roadster to add more preamp gain, that to me, quiets the amp and make it more compressed and slightly fizz-like. On channels 3 and 4 I turn the Treble completely to zero. That's right, ZERO! Sounds strange, but just try it and I think you see what I'm jiving at here. By turning this to off, suddenly the amp gets a touch louder and the gain control does exactly what it should do -- control the gain. Also, with the Treble off, the rest of the controls are suddenly more sensitive and usable.

Channel 3 (Vintage, 50 watts) I have setup as my mid to high gain channel, depending on where I setup the gain. I think cranked, with my Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (bridge humbucker), I get plenty of gain with these settings. It is very "in-your-face" sounding:

Gain: 12:30
Treble: off
Mid: 2:45
Bass: 12:30
Presence: 11:30
Master: Whatever is tolerable. If playing at home, I found it still sounds great at these settings, even with the master barely turned up.

Channel 4 (Modern, 50 watts) I have set as my crunch channel. I tried to make it come closer to a Mark series crunch tone.

Gain: 8:30
Treble: off
Mid: 2:00
Bass: 8:30
Presence: 9:45
Master: Whatever is tolerable. If playing at home, I found it still sounds great at these settings, even with the master barely turned up.

That is what I like. You may not like these settings, as they are a departure from the usual compressed Mesa gain feel. Try it though. In am mix with other players, you'll stand out really well, while making your Roadster sound like a more responsive and lively amp. The crunch channel settings on channel 4 is supposed to give you more playing dynamics. If you hit the strings harder, you'll have a nice crunch. If you hit the strings lighter, you'll have some nice breakup.

Enjoy.

Personally, don't go crazy on changing tubes and dropping more money into the amp. Mesa tubes are just fine. In Dual Recs, preamp tubes make more of a difference than power tubes, especially at LOUD settings. Regardless, learn your amp first, and the settings you like and dislike before opening up your wallet. These amps are great and capable of too many tones. My settings I posted in the previous post are what works for me. They help me have more dynamics while I'm playing. If I need more compression, I can use a boost too boot. The key with my settings are that I have the Recto foundation in place, with the massive low end and loose feel.

Instead of investing in pedals, invest in the Rockbox Boiling Point. It'll help give you a quick and sustaining lead tone with the Roadster that is similar to a Mark lead tone.

Listen to this quick demo. I bought one and it is better than what this video shows!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I36gX8MrTg&feature=channel

Hey...this is James, right? Let's see if I can help you dial in that amp of mine...I'm glad it went to a good home!

The Roadster is a cool amp, but you need to work with it for a bit. As you said, the cleans are AMAZING...I miss that clean channel :(

Note...the Roadster is already significantly darker than the regular rectos, so you don't have to work quite as hard for that typical sludgy recto sound.

As for the gain channels, I'd flip the amp to 100 watts, bold...it seems to breathe between in those settings diode and rectifier tube is your choice...sounds like the recto tubes may be more to your liking.

It depends on your cab and speakers, but with my Mills cabs, on channel 4 modern, I could get away with the bass and gain at 3:00, and I'd get a HUGE and sick sound....tight enough, but just enormous. Mids to taste, treble just over noon, and presence at 9:00. Again, my Mills cab probably helped in keeping these settings tight, but give it a shot.

If you like the vintage mode, as mentioned before, try playing with the treble completely off...get some cool tones that way.

Finally, tubes make a big difference in it too. I always liked EL-34s in it, but if you wanted looser, maybe 6L6s would be the way to go? Another thing I dabbled with a lot was a Tung Sol in V1...great tube, but again, depended on my taste and mood...one day in, another day out.

Feel free to shoot me an email if I can be of any help!

Eric

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey...this is James, right? Let's see if I can help you dial in that amp of mine...I'm glad it went to a good home!

The Roadster is a cool amp, but you need to work with it for a bit. As you said, the cleans are AMAZING...I miss that clean channel :(

Note...the Roadster is already significantly darker than the regular rectos, so you don't have to work quite as hard for that typical sludgy recto sound.

As for the gain channels, I'd flip the amp to 100 watts, bold...it seems to breathe between in those settings diode and rectifier tube is your choice...sounds like the recto tubes may be more to your liking.

It depends on your cab and speakers, but with my Mills cabs, on channel 4 modern, I could get away with the bass and gain at 3:00, and I'd get a HUGE and sick sound....tight enough, but just enormous. Mids to taste, treble just over noon, and presence at 9:00. Again, my Mills cab probably helped in keeping these settings tight, but give it a shot.

If you like the vintage mode, as mentioned before, try playing with the treble completely off...get some cool tones that way.

Finally, tubes make a big difference in it too. I always liked EL-34s in it, but if you wanted looser, maybe 6L6s would be the way to go? Another thing I dabbled with a lot was a Tung Sol in V1...great tube, but again, depended on my taste and mood...one day in, another day out.

Eric

I thought you were all about the Roadster? Why did you sell it?

[/quote]I thought you were all about the Roadster? Why did you sell it?[/quote]

Was thinking the same thing..... :? :?:

ibanez4life SZ! said:

Eric

Just wanted to say that I tried out your settings for the modern channel on my roadster combo with my new les Paul studio and it sounds lovely! Thanks Eric, you are a great educator for me in this forum. By the way the maxon OD808 you sold me sounds great with the new guitar too!

b0nkersx said:
BostonRedSox said:
I don't get it either.

He's going Axe-FX from another post somewhere on the forum.

Just pulled up some clips with him playing the AXE FX and gotta say that I prefer the tone he had when he was using the Roadster. The tone with the AXE FX is very processed sounding and rough sounding (particularly on the rhythm clip) to my ears. The Roadster sounded much smoother and was much more organic sounding to my ears. To each their own I guess.

grunge782 said:
I have both channels 3 and 4 on Roadster set to 50 watt, spongy, and recto tracking to get it as loose as possible. I keep trying to mess with it, but the hi-gain tones sound too rounded and feel too tight compared to my DR.

Dropping the headroom (wattage) and using the variac (spongy) will darken, round-off and compress the tone. Further, using 50w will narrow your tone... so less bottom end... and less bottom end means less sag.

I'd kick it to 100w, bold, and tube rectified.... then just play around with it for a bit until you get used to it.

screamingdaisy said:
grunge782 said:

Dropping the headroom (wattage) and using the variac (spongy) will darken, round-off and compress the tone. Further, using 50w will narrow your tone... so less bottom end... and less bottom end means less sag.

I'd kick it to 100w, bold, and tube rectified.... then just play around with it for a bit until you get used to it.

I will try going that route. I was hoping to use 50 watts because of the lower volumes, but I'll give 100 watts a shot at low volumes.

I was figuring to get it as loose as possible, I wanted to use spongy which made my DR solo head looser. I also figured using 50 watts would get the tube rectifiers cooking more, but maybe that is wrong.

Basically I'm trying to get that super saggy FEEL out of the amp, not as much as the aggressive sound. It just feels a little tight, but it does sound pretty good.

Anybody have some recommendations on preamp tubes? I already own some RFT's, Mullards, Tungsol, JJ and some Chinese.

ibanez4life SZ! said:

Eric

Thanks for the help and recommendations. It is a great amp.

I actually am trying to get as LOOSE and saggy of a sound as possible. Like you, I am using a Mills 4x12 afterburner, but can get a massive loose tone out of my Solo head. I will give your settings a shot, it sounds like I am not doing it right on the high gain channels.

I'm running some JJ kt77's in it right now, which I'm not sure if that makes the amp sound "too" rounded. I think I'll try putting in the el34's you sent with it to see how it sounds.

I also have a quad of tungsol 6l6's, but I'm not sure if they are "safe" to run it with. Anybody know how to check if they would be okay to run in the Roadster?

Oh and I think I'll give that tungsol a shot in v1 as well. I am guessing that will give it a little more aggression.

Another thing to try is lowering the midrange. The mids knob has a pretty big effect over the feel of the amp... more mids = stiffer feel... less mids = more sag/compression.

Latest posts

Back