Recommend me Roadster Hi-gains settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have got it sounding closer to what I want, but I am not sure if it is quite there yet.

This is the kind of tone I am going for. -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ28J1pa2mk

If any Roadster owners have a better ear for dialing maybe you could let me know some settings to get near that tone.

I'm not sure if the Roadster can ever get there, but it still can get pretty heavy. Honestly I don't think I can give up the Roadsters amps clean and orange channels...

I just feel kinda stupid owning 2 Rectifiers :oops: .

P - 01:00
B - 01:00
M - 11:00
T - 01:00
G - 03:00

Channel 4, modern, 100w, tube rectifier.

Alternatively, you could run the gain lower (12:00 to 1:00) and boost it with an overdrive with a moderate amount of gain dialled in too fuzz up the response a bit more.

grunge782 said:
If any Roadster owners have a better ear for dialing maybe you could let me know some settings to get near that tone.

That tone in the video you linked kind of reminds me of a big muff. Why don't you just dump a **** ton of gain and bass into it? like 3:00 or more and drop your mids to like 9:00, leave your treble below 2:00 and run the amp at 100W tube rectified spongy.

screamingdaisy said:
P - 01:00
B - 01:00
M - 11:00
T - 01:00
G - 03:00

Channel 4, modern, 100w, tube rectifier.

Alternatively, you could run the gain lower (12:00 to 1:00) and boost it with an overdrive with a moderate amount of gain dialled in too fuzz up the response a bit more.

Sounds much closer, I think I needed to up the presence in my tone.

Just wondering, how are you setting your volume and master volume? I usually like to play at lower volumes, so would it be better to keep the master low and up the channel volume or keep the master higher and keep the channel volume low for that tone?

b0nkersx said:
That tone in the video you linked kind of reminds me of a big muff. Why don't you just dump a sh!t ton of gain and bass into it? like 3:00 or more and drop your mids to like 9:00, leave your treble below 2:00 and run the amp at 100W tube rectified spongy.

I had been running tons of bass and gain, but it felt too tight with my settings. Running it on 100w has helped a lot.

grunge782 said:
Sounds much closer, I think I needed to up the presence in my tone.

Just wondering, how are you setting your volume and master volume? I usually like to play at lower volumes, so would it be better to keep the master low and up the channel volume or keep the master higher and keep the channel volume low for that tone?

I run the channel master between 9:00 and 10:00 on my loudest channel (generally channel 4, modern), then I balance all the other channels against it (which currently has them somewhere between 10:00 and noon).

I find that keeping the channel masters on the low side keeps the effects loop performing optimally.

Once the channel masters are set I use the master output to control the amp's volume. You may find you have to adjust the clean channel volume if you change from high to low volumes... it's the nature of the beast.

can´t see the video in the link, because it´s not allowed in my country....stupid youtube....
nevermind, i tried some new settings on channel 4 last week and came up with this:
powertubes are EH EL34s, 100 watt, diode, bold,
presence around noon, bass 2-3 o´clock, mids 7-8 o´clock (nearly off), treble at 3-4, gain at 2 o´clock

it´s scooped but still more mids as on my dual recto with totally different settings.
i tried to match my modern sound on the dual recto 3-channel, but it´s darker, less fizz, and more mids.

I'm still messing with different settings. I'm slowly getting frusterated though as I find myself messing with the settings much more than actually playing. :roll: Pretty overwhelming having 4 channels that need to be dialed in...... lol

Just wanted to say thanks to the different ideas, especially the "no treble" thing & the thing about how the mids are related to stiffness and sag/compression.

I'm having fun exploring the tonal possibilities. So far, spongy is my mode of choice. Beyond that, nothing is set in stone. :lol:

So I've been comparing my Roadster and Recto Solo metal tones again.

I hate to say it, but I just don't think I can get that looseness out of the Roadster like on my Solo head. The tone is there, but that sag and bloom of notes doesn't last as long.

As much as I love the cleans on the Roadster, I'm not sure if its right for me. I'm going to give it the weekend to see what else I can come up with, but if I can't get it to feel right then I might be putting it on the market. Great amplifier, but it might just not be right for me. That **** clean channel sounds soo friggin good though...

Thanks everyone for the help, this has been an interesting thread. I have gotten some really cool tones out of the Roadster because of this.

One of the frusterating things for me is that I can't dime the gain because of the fizz. I don't remember the solo heads ever being that way. With that being said, I don't understand why the Roadster has a fizz character. I tried turning off the treble but you lose quite a bit of clarity. Also, has anyone dialed in a decent tone on "brit"? It sounds like **** no matter how i dial it in (It sounds like a harsh version of the "pushed" mode on the solo heads).

GuitarGuy503 said:
One of the frusterating things for me is that I can't dime the gain because of the fizz. I don't remember the solo heads ever being that way. With that being said, I don't understand why the Roadster has a fizz character. I tried turning off the treble but you lose quite a bit of clarity. Also, has anyone dialed in a decent tone on "brit"? It sounds like sh!t no matter how i dial it in (It sounds like a harsh version of the "pushed" mode on the solo heads).

I would read the manual honestly. If you don't want the fizz and want the amp to sound tighter while being excessively gained out, you have two options: bypassing the loop or getting a boost.

You guitar makes a huge difference too. With my Fender Stratocaster's humbucker I get a fuzz type high gain, yet with my Classic 57s in my LP, I get smooth high gain, without pedals.

Also, channel 4 modern has a ton of presence and in this channel, you may want to run the presence down around 9 o'clock. Turn the bass down too. I don't know what cab you have, but the Roadster is a dark amp. This will help. I also turn down the volume on my guitar too.

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=9475

http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=9309

BostonRedSox said:
Also, channel 4 modern has a ton of presence and in this channel, you may want to run the presence down around 9 o'clock. Turn the bass down too. I don't know what cab you have, but the Roadster is a dark amp. This will help. I also turn down the volume on my guitar too.

I use a Mesa 2x12 Horiz.

GuitarGuy503 said:
One of the frusterating things for me is that I can't dime the gain because of the fizz. I don't remember the solo heads ever being that way.

Recto's have always been fizzy if you dime the gain.

GuitarGuy503 said:
I like clarity to my distortion

Turn down the gain and turn the amp volume up. Also, consider your pickup... some pickups are more abrasive than others... great for pushing a Marshall into crunch, not so great at keeping a high gain amp sounding clear..

Just listen to these clips. These are midrangey. It sounds like you want a Marshall 1987x. I have that amp too, which is uber midrangey and different than my Roadster. Smooth is the word with that amp. The Vintage Modern is another amp I used to own that is wicked midrangey.

Have you checked out this gem of an amp GuitarGuy? This'll give you all the tones you want, clean and distorted, with uber amounts of clarity and spanky upper midrange bite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca1WhuCWMx4

And you can play this thing at all volumes. :p

GuitarGuy503 said:
BostonRedSox said:

I use a Mesa 2x12 Horiz.

I used to have a Port City cab that really let the bass loose. I would just turn down the bass to get my tone. You know, the manual settings should help you a lot too. Use those settings to get you started, then tweak the bass and mid knobs to your liking. I did that for the longest time. There is a lot fo information in the manuals, more than I can remember. I don't really use my Roadster anymore, but it is a great amp for sure. Good luck in your tone quest.

Screaming Daisy has some useful suggestions as well. Your gain doesn't have to be low, low, just around noon - 1pm and you'll be good IMO. Volume is key, then shaping your tone per your pickups, guitar, and cabinet.

BostonRedSox said:
GuitarGuy503 said:
BostonRedSox said:

I use a Mesa 2x12 Horiz.

I used to have a Port City cab that really let the bass loose. I would just turn down the bass to get my tone. You know, the manual settings should help you a lot too. Use those settings to get you started, then tweak the bass and mid knobs to your liking. I did that for the longest time. There is a lot fo information in the manuals, more than I can remember. I don't really use my Roadster anymore, but it is a great amp for sure. Good luck in your tone quest.

Screaming Daisy has some useful suggestions as well. Your gain doesn't have to be low, low, just around noon - 1pm and you'll be good IMO. Volume is key, then shaping your tone per your pickups, guitar, and cabinet.

Which Port city cab were you using? The OS 2x12?

Which Port city cab were you using? The OS 2x12?[/quote]

No, I was using the regular. It is a very bass heavy rig. Actually, what the cab did was accurately release all of the low-end the Roadster had to offer. It sounded great.

Latest posts

Back