Recommend me Roadster Hi-gains settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changing pickups made a world of difference for me. I've now got the chunk. I like turning the gain up to 2:00 or so and putting some fizz around the chunk.

I realize the Roadster among the other Rects are midrangey amps but I like some treble and presence to have a bit of a transparent crunch. The problem is that alot of fizz tends to come with the use of those knobs. I think I have found a setting that I like. We will see how long I stay satisfied though..... lol

GuitarGuy503 said:
I realize the Roadster among the other Rects are midrangey amps but I like some treble and presence to have a bit of a transparent crunch. The problem is that alot of fizz tends to come with the use of those knobs. I think I have found a setting that I like. We will see how long I stay satisfied though..... lol

To me, that's the nature of V30s. They're a very punchy speaker, but they don't really crunch or chunk up like some other speakers do.

screamingdaisy said:
GuitarGuy503 said:

To me, that's the nature of V30s. They're a very punchy speaker, but they don't really crunch or chunk up like some other speakers do.

Absolutely true. Say what you want about B-52 amps, but their cabs are really good, as are their speakers. I had a 4x12 that, speaker-wise, sounded world's better with my Roadster than V-30s. V-30s are great, don't get me wrong, just a different voicing a breakup characteristic.

Don't get overly frustrated just yet. When you can, try out different speakers, different cabs, etc. Or, just play around with the guitars that you have, and tool around with the volume knob. I like to get a hot gainy sound from my Roadster at 50 watts, Tweed, then roll back my volume to slight breakup. It sounds fantastic, sort of like a 65amps Tupelo. If you use only 50 watts, you could get a 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Blues. You'd probably want to change your approach to how you set your amp, but you'll get nice breakup with those speakers. And yes, I know they are rated at 15 watts a piece, 30 watts total. But call Celestion and ask them about running a 50 watter with them. They'll tell you that the speakers will handle it fine. I found this out from Andy at PGS and confirmed it myself. Alnicos have great break up.

As of today I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with my Roadster. I played with the settings again and got channel 4 sounding "HEAVENLY"! I don't know if my cab is starting to break in or what but things just clicked today! I think the tubes being warmed up really made the tone shine though. I absolutely love the tone I'm getting!! WOW! I have channel 3 running at 50 watts (modern) for a crunchy recto rhythm and channel four at 100 watts (modern) for an aggressive chunky recto sound. I'm stoked!

GuitarGuy503 said:
As of today I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere with my Roadster. I played with the settings again and got channel 4 sounding "HEAVENLY"! I don't know if my cab is starting to break in or what but things just clicked today! I think the tubes being warmed up really made the tone shine though. I absolutely love the tone I'm getting!! WOW! I have channel 3 running at 50 watts (modern) for a crunchy recto rhythm and channel four at 100 watts (modern) for an aggressive chunky recto sound. I'm stoked!
how are your settings of channel four?

I have been using the same settings with channels 3 and 4 as both channels have different gain structures and can get different sounds with the same settings. Keep in mind that I'm running a 2x12 Mesa Horiz Recto Cab and have 6L6s in my Roadster. Try my settings and lemme know what you guys think.

Channels 3 and 4 set as follows.....

Modern
Bold
100 watts
Recto Tracking

Presence: 2 oclock
Bass: 3 oclock
Mids: noon
Treble: 3 oclock
Gain: 3 oclock

Channel 3 sounds like it has a more aggressive character to it.

Latest posts

Back