Re-tolexing my DC5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCst22

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I got some hot white bronco tolex so I can match my DC5 head with the Recto 4x12 I got.

12434796ax6.jpg

Anyone have suggestions about how to do this? My main obstacle seems to be the corners because they're riveted on. How do I deal with those?

Thanks guys.

do well!

I want to do that too. do that wine taurus on a 22

anyways...no amp experience but building experience...you could drill out the rivets then screw back in.

I have a couple sites saved with corner parts and stuff for when I do. Surely you already do too. if not...I'll bring up the link.

I just recovered my DC-5 in Wine Taurus.

The "Rivets" are actually nails that are sort of threaded. I used an old pair of tiny side cutting pliers ("Dikes") to get between the nail and the leather corner piece. They should just unscrew if you can get them started. I was able to do it in such a way that I re-used the corners and nails.

I can guide you in this endeavor!!!

I have tolexed many things!!!
go to lowes /home depot and get a quart of weldwood contact cement - I think I used the green non flamable jar.... buy some cheap paintbrushes at the dollar store...

I am available for all questions...

I have a killer guide that will help you all - provided by an awesome dude named casey !!!!

I printed this out and it guided me well

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/The%20Tolex%20Tutorial-Tolexing%20a%20Cabinet/

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/The%20Tolex%20Tutorial-Tolexing%20a%20Corner/

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff243/Casey4s/The%20Tolex%20Tutorial-Tolexing%20Curved%20Areas/

Tolex Application
This is simply how I Do Tolex projects. This is not intended to be the definitive method, but rather what has worked for me so far. There are probably a hundred different ways to do this, so take this at face value.
There are three photo albums that accompany this text if you print them and this text and use it as a guide when doing your work it may be helpful, especially to the first timer. For the photo albums it is a good idea to use the "Thumbnail" and the "Show All" toggles at the top of the pages for easier viewing and printing.

Materials:
I use DAP Contact Cement. There is also a water-soluble product that I understand works well but costs much more. Either Product requires adequate Ventilation. I use two box fans in a "Push Pull" configuration. There are some spray products on the market but they are a pain to work with, and set very fast. The best solvent to use is Mineral Spirits, it cleans brushes and spills, as well as hands. I like to use cheap disposable Brushes, and a 3" trim roller for large surfaces. These are available in most home centers, like Home Depot, or any hardware store. Wax Paper is great to cover anything that you don’t want the cement to stick to. You will also need a good sharp Razor Knife, or box cutter, a metal straight edge, pencils or markers that can be seen on the Tolex. A chalk string is good for long straight lines, and sometimes I find Masking tape helpful.
Cabinet Preparation:
Before you can start to apply the Tolex, your cabinet must be prepared. Fill any voids caused by screws or other fasteners with some kind of wood filler or plastic wood. The same goes for any other irregularity in the surface or edges, such as small gaps in box joints, or damaged places.
It would be a good idea to avoid knots in your lumber if you are building your cabinet from scratch, but that is not always possible. If you have questionable knots in your cabinet you can secure them with "Super Glue" prior to final sanding.
I use 50/50 Bullseye Amber Shellac and denatured alcohol, or black spray paint to do the inside of the cabinet. This is mostly for cosmetic reasons and is not a necessary step, but I think the cabinet looks neater and is easier to keep clean with some kind of treatment on the bare wood.

Layout:
I like to do most cabinets and amp heads with two pieces. One piece for the two sides and top, and a second piece for the bottom. First determine the length of the first piece. Let’s say you have a sample cabinet 18"h x 20"w x 10"d. This piece will need to be 62" long. That’s the two sides + the top + 3" on each end for overlap (to be trimmed later). Lay the Tolex piece out lengthwise and strike a line 3" from one edge then another line the width of the cabinet (10") and a third line 3" from that one (this is where I use the chalk string). You should have 3 lines running the length of your piece. Cut the piece to length and down the third line so you have a piece 62" long x 16" wide. Now two lines 20" apart in the center of the piece between the remaining two lines. This is where the top will go. Cut the bottom piece so that it is the length of the inside of cabinet bottom (20" minus the thickness of the two sides), and the same 16" width. Use a metal strait edge to guide your cuts. Check for fit.

Glue the Panels:
Lay the Tolex face down and apply the glue to the area in the center that is marked for the top panel with a brush or roller. Then apply glue to the cabinet top. You must apply glue to BOTH PIECES to be glued together. Cover the whole area, but not too heavy, let it dry to the touch before putting the two pieces together. Do not put the two pieces together when the glue is still wet. Use the lines to make sure the piece is aligned properly. Smooth the material with your hands, being careful not to stretch it too much. Now let it set up for 20 minutes or so. If it "puckers" or "blisters" you most likely still had wet glue, don’t panic, it will shrink back as it sets up. Just keep an eye on it and smooth it out occasionally with your hands and don’t do the next panel until it is set and the "puckering" has stopped. The Tolex material will shrink some, and tighten up as it sets.
Now glue the sides, one at a time, in the same way. Then glue the bottom in place. When everything has set up, fold the 3" flaps in on the bottom piece and glue them in the same manner. Now trim the side panels where they overlap the bottom piece so you have about a ½" overlap, and glue in place.

Corners

There are a couple of ways to do the side flaps and corners. Fold the flaps in and box fold the corners at a 45-degree angle, you can cut with a razor along this line through both pieces to make a butt joint with no gap, then glue in place. I like to leave the fold in place and glue it down as it is, on some pieces. It really depends on how I want it to look. If you are going to use metal corner protectors on some of the corners, the second method seems to work best for me. If this is your first attempt, or if you are not satisfied with how your past corners have looked, I highly recommend making a "practice corner" out of a couple of pieces of wood scraps attached at a 90-degree angle, and covered with scrap Tolex. Sometimes masking tape comes in handy for holding the corners and other short pieces until the glue is set. See the photo album " Tolexing Corners". There are several self explanatory Photos of corner construction.
Lastly, cut pieces for the back panels, and glue up in the same basic manor as the main cabinet. (If this is a first attempt, it might be wise to do the back panels FIRST to practice with the glue)
Make sure as you make the panels to allow for the thickness of the multiple layers of the Tolex material, and in the case of the speaker baffle, the thickness of the grille cloth.
Let everything set up overnight before attaching the corners, handle or other hardware to the cabinet.

IRREGULAR SHAPES

It is possible to form Tolex around inside and outside corners and curved surfaces, taking a reasonable amount of care. Tolex to some degree will stretch, but too much can cause a tear to occur in some instances. An inside curve that has too small of a radius is harder to do than a large radius. I find it easiest to use a heat source (hair dryer) to pre-form the Tolex to fit the curve. It will shrink back somewhat so you may need to heat it several times as you make the application. The contact cement also softens the Tolex and aids in stretching and forming the material. On areas of an inside curved surface I like to first breakdown the cloth backing a little bit with some 80 or so grit sandpaper. Just lightly rub the backside of the Tolex to tear some of the threads, but not through to the vinyl. After gluing, it sometimes helps to use masking tape to hold the work in place until the glue sets. An outside curve is much easier. Simply pull the Tolex snug and fold the excess back then glue it down. The excess should be folded into several neat "pleats" that are then trimmed with a razor blade, This will be on the back of the piece where it will not be seen. See the photo album "Tolexing Curves", there are some self-explanatory photos there.
Sometimes inside corners, like the control panels on Fender Tweed style cabinets, are easier to do by cutting the Tolex at the apex of the curve, apply a small patch underneath the opening, and glue and form the Tolex to the curved shape. There will be a small inverted "V" with the patch underneath in the corner.

This is another instance that it would be highly recommended to use some scrap pieces of Tolex on a practice piece of wood to sharpen technique before doing the actual final piece of work.

Disclaimer

I’m sure that there are some things that I may have left out or might have explained in a better way. This is only intended to be a GUIDELINE to help those who have never attempted this before or for those who are not satisfied with past projects and are seeking some fresh ideas. As I said in the beginning, there are a lot of different ways to do this. This is only how I do it, from a "Trial & Error" learning process. Use this information at your own risk, practice pieces are highly recommended. Ventilate the work area, read and follow the instructions on the product package.

Comments or suggestions regarding this content are welcome. I need input to improve the quality of this procedure for everyone’s benefit. I would like to know if this has been helpful to you, and how your Tolex projects have come out. Feel free to contact me at any time.
[email protected]
David McClain
(AKA Casey4s)
TOLEX® is a registered trademark of General Tire
Amendments: As I receive input, or new ideas, I will try to post the information here until
I can rewrite the page.

1. Custom Pak Adhesives makes a new Water Based Contact Cement, product # WBCC. Contact Jeff Pitcher at Custom Pak, 1-800-454-4583. The price at the time of this revision was $23.03 per gallon plus shipping. See the Text File "A new Glue Review".
2. Dap Adhesives also makes a new water based product that comes in a Green and Black can. I have never used this product, but I understand it still requires a lot of ventilation than the Custom Pak product.

Latest Revision: 09/27/02

Yeah, I just tried this and failed horribly. Everything was set to get glued, I applied the contact cement to the tolex and the wood, let it tack up for about 15 minutes, and then went to apply the two together. My tolex had seperated into 2 pieces, inside w/glue, and the shiny outside. Everything was puckered up and stuff.

My guess is the tolex was cheap. I'm hearing everybody using contact cement, but its prolly not the right thing for cheap tolex. I guess I'm going to try getting some more tolex from a different supplier. We'll see how round 2 goes. Now I gotta get this **** cement off the cab.

-Chris

I've done quite a few re-tolex jobs and this is the only glue that I will use from now on: http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?pid=80019&pg=44968&id=3310001

It's gone up a bit since last time I bought some, but this stuff is great. You can actually pull the tolex off and re-position it if needed. Try doing that with DAP.

I usually get my tolex from here: www.tubesandmore.com
It is not as cheap as other places, but well worth the price. I have never gotten a bad batch from them.

I tried the stuff that tubes & more sells. At the time, it wasn't the same stuff and I didn't like it.

As for DAP, I just might buy some and see. Mojo won't tell me where they get it. Has to be something that we can buy off the counter, they just don't want us to know. It works really well though!

Thanks for the shipping heads up...

Anybody know of the best Mesa-style Tolex? Mesa's seems really thin. The stuff I got which was supposed to be like Mesa's, was thicker than I thought it would be. OF course I got it off Ebay so it was prolly **** to start with.

Are their Mesa equivalent tolex's actually equivalent?

-Chris

I haven't bought any, but tubes&more used to have a "Black Taurus" that looked identical.

You can probably get it from Mesa too, but it might be a little more.

It all looks like upholstery fabric to me. My Grandpa used to have an upholstery shop when I was a kid. Some of it looked exactly like tolex. I bet tolex is a word that was invented by the industry to make it sound better than "Vinyl."

thanks for the help. I'll see what these guys say at mojo since shipping would be faster.

Thanks again.

Chris

I used the DAP water based adhesive, green/black can, and it worked great for me. I did let it cure 20-30 minutes though so the whole project took a while. No problems.

Lopo Line cabinets sells the Taurus and Bronco style tolex.

I bet it's the same stuff. I'm going to look for it this weekend if I have time and compare. :lol: Looks like I'm sniffing glue this weekend. :lol: I need to finish recovering the back piece of my DC-5 anyway.

Well, I said screw it. Black is so blah anyway. I ordered this brown alligator tolex.

7310220.jpg

Just for the hell of it. It should be fun. Unfortunately this isn't even for a Mesa amp. Its an old Peavey Tube Combo that I really hated lugging around as a backup. So I cut it in half and slapped a piece of wood on the bottom and sanded the **** outta it. Until I can afford a Stiletto, to backup my DR, It'll have to work.

Thanks for the help.
-Chris

gts said:
Monsta: The name used for Upholstery "tolex" is "Naugahyde" (fake leather). It's still in use today.

I know you weren't addressing me, but thanks. I've always wanted to know that. There are some upholstery places around me. I might drop by them and take a look some time.

The original Tolex used on amps such as Fenders in the '60s is what the big three used for vinyl roofs on cars back then. There used to be all sorts of supply houses in the metro Detroit area back in the day. There are a few left but far and few between now. I have always used Weldwood contact cement but it can cause the Tolex to shrink so I always wait a day before cutting the final seam.

That makes sense. No wonder my old Fenders have held up so well over the years.

As far as the glue goes, I have a few Mojo cabs. It looks like they spray them with the glue. I'm guessing that this is the only way to mass produce them efficiently.

Their tolex jobs are pristine.

I am going to have to get a setup that will let me spray my cabs too! It just turns out so much cleaner than brushing it on.

What do you guys use to apply yours?

Brush it on with a cheap synthetic bristle brush, not natural hair. Natural doesn't react well to the adhesive I'm told. I've used the spray adhesive appling that carpet like material to speaker cabinets, cases and pedal boards without any trouble so I'm not exactly sure why all the tutorials I've ready suggest brushing it on when doing tolex.

Maybe it's due to the thickness of the adhesive.

I bet Mojo has a really huge spray tip. All of their cabs have a film on the inside of them. They basically spray the hell out of it.

I've tried the spray can stuff. It's great for tiny jobs & hobby work, but I wouldn't re-cover my amp with it.

Back