Re-tolexing my DC5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,

I have two (original) blonde 112 cabs, and I'd like my MKIII head (in black tolex) to match. But Mesa told me they wouldn't sell me the tolex ...they carry it, but will only do the work, not sell the material. Anyone know of a vendor that sells tolex to match Mesa's blonde cabs from the 80s-90s? Thanks!

Edward

edward said:
Hey all,

I have two (original) blonde 112 cabs, and I'd like my MKIII head (in black tolex) to match. But Mesa told me they wouldn't sell me the tolex ...they carry it, but will only do the work, not sell the material. Anyone know of a vendor that sells tolex to match Mesa's blonde cabs from the 80s-90s? Thanks!

Edward

Look here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/

A lot of Fender guys use coffee or tea to stain their grill cloth darker and make it look vintage.

That may work for matching older tolex to newer tolex. I'm guessing that the newer stuff will be much brighter.

Wow! That's just beautiful work, gts!!!

Thanks for the links, gents! Will check out both ...will see if they can maybe send swatches. I'd rather keep my head black (and the cabs Boogie cream) for color contrast than to "just miss" and have them clash. I know, superficial, but they all just look so good together :D

Edward

:D That is sweet!

Where can I find the blue tolex that Mesa used on the Lonestars?

Also, where do you get that cane. The only cane I have found is the Marshall cane and it is a real ***** to work with.

Alright. I'm giving this a second shot with my alligator tolex. Of course this time i tested a piece of it out with the glue first to see how it reacted. No issues so far. I forgot to take pictures of the cab before, so you'll see halfway through, and finish product. The guide does help though, so I'm thankful for that.

More updates to follow.

-Chris

Back