Randall MTS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ned

Reaction score
They absolutely kick ***. Much different than a Boogie in all aspects. The Plexi module sounds great as does they Vox and the Egnaters.

The Randall MTS amps are designed by Bruce Egnater, the midi was designed by Mario at Axess Electronics.

I've got the 50 watt head and a Egnater Mod50 combo.

I heard that the Rectified module doesn't quite nail a Dual Rec though.

Russ said:
I heard that the Rectified module doesn't quite nail a Dual Rec though.

The Recto module didn't quite nail it..but I'm intrigued about the new Treadplate version for sure :D

I was going to say, they aren't digitally modeled. They still have tube circuitry throughout don't they? They are such an awesome concept. I have read that Kirk Hammett is making a sig model for this series, has anyone heard/seen it?

-AJH

These are definately NOT modelling amp and have NO digital component to them at all. The modules replicate the preamp circuits of the original amps, the difference in sound comes through the power section.

There will be some new artists announced as endorsers. Today Hammet uses an RM100 on stage.

I have a small gripe with these module amps. I have not confirmed this with the company, through a schematic, or physical inspection of the amps but I've read the modules are not run at "normal" tube voltages (250 + VDC is what I would call normal where as boogie usually is over 350+ VDC to their preamp tubes in their preamp designs). I believe this can cut down on max tonal benefit from running tubes and kinda makes it not worth spending big bucks for something designed around tubes. This will probably also have an effect on dynamics.

Again, let me make it clear I HAVE NO PROOF OF MY FINDINGS it's just what I heard through the grapevine. I will comment that from a user's standpoint that a recording I heard with one of the rack mount pieces was pretty good.

Greg

I heard they have a Diamond plate module that is supposed to do a better Rec than the older Rectified module.

Tread plate module.

dis- my Randall and Eggie sound every bit as tube as my Fender Champ.

There are tons of clips available at mtsforum.grailtone.com

ned said:
Tread plate module.

dis- my Randall and Eggie sound every bit as tube as my Fender Champ.

There are tons of clips available at mtsforum.grailtone.com

I agree they sound good. I am not saying they don't sound good but I am just anal and stubborn about things like voltage.

Greg

I thought the Treadplate was just a new name for the same module?

I don't own a Grail module, but it's reported to sound the most Recto-like of all the modules.

Anomaly said:
Bottom line is, these MTS is a Scary Amp.. Tone Possiblities are limitless,
Don't need to have dozens of different expensive Amps just one Mesa and MTS your all set :twisted:

but I'm skeptical.. Have to hear and play one to be really convinced..

Go buy one...bargains to be had all day over in the mtsforum classifieds. You just missed out on an RM100M with Ultra and Recto modules for $650 shipped.....perfect high gain setup, just add a clean module :D

For truly limitless tone you probably want a rack setup though...RM4 with power amp(s) of your choice..since the only option on the Randall Power amps is to change tube type..the feel/attack/presence and natural EQ of the power section stay the same.

Back