Quick tone test vid of my MarkIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petejt

Reaction score
This video was shot the day I was trialling speaker cabinets for my Mesa/Boogie MarkIV.

I literally had 5 minutes to set the amp up, rush & make some settings, and try out the channels. We all know how sensitive the controls are, and basically I just knocked them into a position.

In the video I'm on the Lead channel the whole time. I have the neck pickup's volume rolled down for cleans, which to me worked out quite nicely. I left the chorus pedal on while playing the bridge pickup for heavy tones, so the audio sounds a little squawky, which is enhanced by the camera audio, and unfortunately diminishes a bit of the low end thunk of the tone.

In the vid I'm playing the angled 4x12 Mesa cab, Stiletto I think. It may have been the Recto, I don't remember for sure now. Although I decided to get the straight-backed 4x12 Stiletto cab, so it has tight strong low end.

At the time my playing was quite rusty. It still is rusty lol ;) I haven't had the chance to properly play guitar since last year :( .

Here's the video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jea_OzuXs5I

I plan to do another recording once I get my new speaker cabinet.

EDIT: This thread contains the type of feedback that I was hoping for.

Is the same petejt from the metclub boards?

Anyways, it must've been the camera and the chorus, because that didn't really sound good.

4Draw said:
Is the same petejt from the metclub boards?

Anyways, it must've been the camera and the chorus, because that didn't really sound good.

Yes.

And it was a pretty cheap chorus pedal. I guess I possibly didn't set the EQ on the chorus pedal too well, which added to the thinness and squawk.

I noticed you are from Belgium..........

anyone else care to share $0.02 cents of what they reckon of the tones?
please?

and for the ones that have spoken, please explain what in particular you did/did not like

Nick_cor said:
hey man, do you actually own the mark IV cuz this looks like a shops mark IV ..
he's in a shop testing cabs but its his head..

i don't know what you really want people to say here... the guitar is slightly out of tune, you're just jamming on a few riffs, you barely spent any time setting the controls, and the audio quality of the recording is muffled anyway. i would imagine 512 people (now 556) have nothing constructive or profound to say...

post the new recording when you make one, spend a little time getting the tone right, and if you really want people to be able to comment on the tone (other than very vague, subjective statements), try to record it with something that will allow the tone to shine through more. you can get an idea from a camera, but you can't finely critique a tone if the recording isn't true.

eltrain858 said:
Nick_cor said:
hey man, do you actually own the mark IV cuz this looks like a shops mark IV ..
he's in a shop testing cabs but its his head..

i don't know what you really want people to say here... the guitar is slightly out of tune, you're just jamming on a few riffs, you barely spent any time setting the controls, and the audio quality of the recording is muffled anyway. i would imagine 512 people (now 556) have nothing constructive or profound to say...

post the new recording when you make one, spend a little time getting the tone right, and if you really want people to be able to comment on the tone (other than very vague, subjective statements), try to record it with something that will allow the tone to shine through more. you can get an idea from a camera, but you can't finely critique a tone if the recording isn't true.

Well said.

eltrain858 said:

Ideally, I (and lots of other people) would have a perfect recording of their amp, but often that isn't the case. YouTube tends to degrade the quality anyway, but most people can get by the crappy room "honk" and give some opinion on what they think of the sound. In other places I managed to get back some fairly decent contructive feedback, but I also wanted the opinion of people dedicated to Mesa/Boogie amplifiers.

I get the feeling that people here are just being snobbish and pretentious. :(

I get the feeling that people here are just being snobbish and pretentious.
Usually I don't comment at all when I find something bad.

If I really had to be blunt I could've said two things: the playing is terrible and a Roland Cube 20 sounds 100 times better than the sound of your Mark 4 recording.
But since I really don't want to hurt your feelings or burst your bubble or whatever, pretend I didn't say those two things.

I suggest you get to know the amp better, get a few good riffs together and re-record it. Go to our recording section, get ideas on how to record properly and what equipment to buy with the budget you have to get the best recording possible. Then post another clip.

petejt said:
512 people have NOTHING to say???

wtf? :?: :?:

710 now. Truth is... There is nothing to say... sorry.

petejt said:
I get the feeling that people here are just being snobbish and pretentious. :(

i would not consider myself to be either of those, and i'm usually very polite to people on this board. i personally think it's rude to post a lo-fi clip and boisterously demand that people give thorough comments on it.

what "fairly decent constructive feedback" did you find in other places? i'm curious to hear what great sonic critiques they could have come up with for a cam clip.

if i were you, i would worry less about my tone (and what people on the internet think of it) and more about practicing guitar.

Latest posts

Back