question on Dual Recto and cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natek

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a dual recto and cab but I need a little info first. With the dual recto's, what exactly is the main difference between the 2 channel and 3 channel rectos? also, i've heard it is and it isn't possible to run that head at 50 watts be removing the two outer tubes. Is it possible? mainly becuase I want the recto but i won't be gigging with it. mainly room/garage use and I know this thing needs to be pushed (as do all tubes) to get the best tone. One last question about the cabs.....I've narrowed it down the 2x12 Mesa recto cab with the V30's in it, or an Orange 2x12 w/ V30's in it. I have no idea which way to go. Ahh yeah, by the way, I have a MM Petrucci signature that i would be running through that setup. thanx a bunch for any suggestions.

well, 2 and 3 channel rectos are from different eras, and you can hear the difference. if you can find a 2 channel, give it a whirl but theyre a little harder to come by as opposed to the 3 channels. secondly, you probly wont even notice a sound difference at all by dropping the power section down to 50 watts, which is possible btw. if you run the amp at practice levels, you really cant even hear the difference. its only when you play at rehearsal or gig levels will you be able to tell. as far as cabs go, try them both out with the recto at decent volumes and then go from there.

I was told that channel 3 was actually designed to take up where channel 2 left off. There's a tad more gain available, and a lot more presence.

I heard only this:

A 3channel is more versatile for it has more channels and the bias slect switch and some other features.
But critics say that the 2channel is better because the channels are better defined, meaning that the spectrum of gain and tone of where one channel begins and ends (thus to where an other takes over) are better defined and balanced.
I think the best idea is to compare both of them.

About the cabs: I heard, i never played on them before that the mesa cab is a bit more dark than the orange cabs.

My rackmount Dual Rectifier (two channel) sound absolutely gorgeous through the vertical 2x12 with V30s, better than through Marshall 1960AV (also with V30). I liked the sound with the oversized 412 Recto cab...but it is too big and heavy for me. I would personally hate the orange color of the Orange cabinets. I'd go with Mesa.

chennie said:
I heard only this:

A 3channel is more versatile for it has more channels and the bias slect switch and some other features.
But critics say that the 2channel is better because the channels are better defined, meaning that the spectrum of gain and tone of where one channel begins and ends (thus to where an other takes over) are better defined and balanced.
I think the best idea is to compare both of them.

About the cabs: I heard, i never played on them before that the mesa cab is a bit more dark than the orange cabs.

The 2 channel Dual Rectifiers have the EL34/6L6GC bias switch as well.

oh, I'm sorry I got confused with the single recto first and second series.

Jaroslav said:
My rackmount Dual Rectifier (two channel) sound absolutely gorgeous through the vertical 2x12 with V30s, better than through Marshall 1960AV (also with V30). I liked the sound with the oversized 412 Recto cab...but it is too big and heavy for me. I would personally hate the orange color of the Orange cabinets. I'd go with Mesa.

ummmm, sound quality is definately a priority before a color of a cabinet. I'm not gonna spend $500+ on a cab that has a better color. The fact the Orange Cabs seem to be a bit less dark compared to the mesa's is a quality i want.

Well, I do not perceive any unwanted darkness, it is a matter of personal taste. What is the price difference at the place where you live? Here the Mesa is around 100 USD more expensive. My view is, that I would buy Mesa cabinets for Mesa amps, Marshall cabinets for Marshall amps and Orange cabinets for Orange amps - they are supposed to be tuned for the same brand of amplifiers and therefore accentuate their character (but not as a rigid rule, just the first thought, if you know, what I mean, I can't explain it better, my English language skills are not that high). Best thing is to put them both side by side and listen, which is better. To my surprise, the Orange is even larger and heavier than Mesa (horizontal 212). The choice is yours, I am happy with my Mesa. I would be probably happy with Marshall 1960AV, which has the same speakers, but after hearing the Mesa, there is no comparison due to the larger volume of the Mesa (per speaker). If you can get one, try also ENGL cabs, they are really great, but I have come across my Mesa first.

The older 2 channel version has a smoother lead channel. It is just as aggressive as the 3 channel version; however, it has a smoother top end. Some people like this extra smoothness (I fall into this category.) and some people don’t. I personally find the older version easier to solo on. But it is really all very subjective. I’ve owned both. Both are great amps. As far as cabs go, Boogie and Orange make really nice cabs. But why not just get the Mesa so all of your gear matches? I say this because you probably couldn’t tell the difference, sound wise, between the two. Just my two cents…

If this is for bedroom/garage use only, and you want to be able to push it for the best tone...why not just buy a Rectoverb combo?

Silverwulf said:
If this is for bedroom/garage use only, and you want to be able to push it for the best tone...why not just buy a Rectoverb combo?
Uhh, +1 :idea:

ehh, it'd be REALLY nice to have the versatility of the Dual compared to a single channel. Hmmm, does anyone have any input of the smoothness on the lead channel on a single recto???

natek said:
ehh, it'd be REALLY nice to have the versatility of the Dual compared to a single channel. Hmmm, does anyone have any input of the smoothness on the lead channel on a single recto???

A lot of people think the Single is the best sounding member of the family. I don't agree, but they do sound very good - quite similar to the two-channel Duals.

However, they have the newer tubes in them, which accounts for most of the tonal differences, anyway...

vulture2600 said:
well, 2 and 3 channel rectos are from different eras, and you can hear the difference. if you can find a 2 channel, give it a whirl but theyre a little harder to come by as opposed to the 3 channels. .

Not to spam, but there's a 2 channel for sale (by me) in the Classifieds, if you're interested.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=2498

natek said:

The Single Recto has TWO channels.....

Main differences between single, dual, triple are 50, 100, and 150 watts.

Dale B. said:
The 2 channel Dual Rectifiers have the EL34/6L6GC bias switch as well.

My 3ch dual rect is bias switched as well.

Addressing your concern of pushing your tubes at bedroom volumes, I achieve great tones when i crank my channel gains and masters w/ a low global master. 'pushing your tubes' sound doesn't always have to come from your power section.
This is a great sounding amp. If you played it quieter it doesn't all of sudden suck. It might sound better louder, but I'm sure you can still get your rocks off at 'wife friendly' volumes.

I tried the pulling tubes for the 50w effect and I didn't care for it too much. You were able to turn up your global volume, but I thought the amp lost a lot of punch and character.

Back