Question about the Mark III (Black Stripe) Graphic EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasTroy

Reaction score
I've recently been offered a Mesa Mark III Black Stripe, however it's a non EQ model.
I've always wanted to own a boogie and have heard nothing but great things about the Mark III, from sound clips to personal testimony, it all is positive. I'm considering selling my Peavey XXX + Carvin 2x12(70/80's) for funds for this puppy.

However, the black stripe I've been offered is a non-eq version. My question is just how much does this limit the versatility of the amp ? And if I picked up, say, a MXR 10-Band EQ, would it open it up to a similar extent ? Or am I better off just finding a EQ-Version ?

Thanks for your time and I'm sure someone here can help me out.
Edit : Just saw the Mark series section. My apologies and any mod wanting to move this feel absolutely free to.

I'm new here :oops:

the EQ is always nice to have but you can still get killer tones out of just the knobs. i havent tried an external eq but i bet it would still work just fine

Thanks for the reply, I'm not too unsure about it, but I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions are about whether the EQ really adds something to the head or not. I'm fairly confident this will be a good move. (I'm not too happy with my Peavey)

It depends what you have to pay for it, if it is dirt cheap, it will be worth it, but if you only get about $50 discount, I would go for one with eq. They are not very rare.

So let's say that the Mark III is priced around $600+Shipping, and I have another offer for a used Peavey 6505 (I know I expressed my dislike for my xxx, but I'm still interested in this amp.) for $650 + Shipping

Does anybody have any experience with the 6505 versus the Mark III ? (I have a slight suspicion the Mark III will come out on top 8) )

I have 3 mark 3,s(greedy or what) 2 are non eq versions and one has eq.Even without the eq these amps are so versatile you will be able to come up with 90% of the tones you need.The scooped metal tones the 3 can do you will need some form of extra eq for, that,s not my bag as i like to play heavy rock and for me the non eq versions are adequate.For what it,s worth though the five band eq does give an edge with the extra tone shaping available and does make it easier to balance the 3 channels for foot switching!I should add that as the eq is foot switchable or can be set auto so it is also usefull for giving 2 seperate modes to each channel for rythmn/ lead and or a boost/cut in levels or whatever.

Not sure what the black stripes are going for, but $600 for a III seems really fair. Maybe someone with a better idea will chime in.

If you need more tweakabillity, get a good EQ and put it in the loop.

well, my experience lends itself to having an EQ. it certainly enhances the versatility of the amp - one of the benefits of the Mark III is it can do **** near any tone depending on guitar and cab setup. you can put a decent EQ in the signal chain as necessary.

as other posters have mentioned - they are plentiful and the different stripes have slighly different voicings. you might want to determine EXACTLY what you want, and go for that rather than making a move you might not be 100% happy with. I personally love the class A sound with 6L6 = others love the EL-34 sounds. I like the MS-12 speaker the best ...

many different options are available here. do more research and determine if you might want a different one than what is staring at you like the moey you save with Geico. of course, if you are getting a STUNNING deal (do some research on prices) - you can always flip it for a different one. 8)

Latest posts

Back