Question about the DC GEQ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
Does each slider for the DC series graphic EQ offer boost and cut (with the center being neutral) for each frequency band, or do the sliders only cut the level at each band (with up being full level and down being more level cut)? I can't tell by the schematic...maybe someone else can.

I've never heard of a Mesa GEQ behaving any other way than center=neutral, up=boost, down=cut. That would be really odd.

In the interest of bandwidth and not making another thread I kinda wanna hijack this thread.

My question, I might snag a GEQ pedal (MXR 10 band) for cheap now but I dont own a Mesa yet. I realize it would be useful if I got a rec but if I get a mark IV would it be as useful? Would having it in the FX loop still affect a different portion of signal that the slider EQ on the amp doesnt? IN other words is it still useful like the amp slider eq affects before the preamp and a pedal in the FX loop would be post pre amp or whatever. if that made sense.

You'd have nothing to gain putting an EQ pedal in the loop of a Mark IV. The Boogie GEQs shape the tone post-gain, which puts them in basically the same place in the signal path as an EQ in the loop would be. Plus the Boogie EQ uses high-quality components running at high voltage, whereas a graphic EQ pedal runs on 9v using, I dunno, crappy little opamps I assume.

On some of the older DC's (version A) the EQ is not as pronounced as the Version B EQ.

To answer your question:
From what I've seen, any EQ that is post version A of the DC's, works the way you suggested. However, on some of the older ones, the EQ is very weak and has almost no boost. There is a very simple mod that fixes this and makes it work the way it should though.

A-5best said:
In the interest of bandwidth and not making another thread I kinda wanna hijack this thread.

My question, I might snag a GEQ pedal (MXR 10 band) for cheap now but I dont own a Mesa yet. I realize it would be useful if I got a rec but if I get a mark IV would it be as useful? Would having it in the FX loop still affect a different portion of signal that the slider EQ on the amp doesnt? IN other words is it still useful like the amp slider eq affects before the preamp and a pedal in the FX loop would be post pre amp or whatever. if that made sense.

Using the Boss EQ would effect different frequencies but keep in mind that it's not a quality EQ . You wont necessarily improve tone just because it effects certain frequencies. Adding something professional like a Rane PE-17 might actually improve tone shaping.

Many low cost EQ's simply are not worth having because they introduce lots of noise and don't have any real control over EQ frequency range and sweep.

Latest posts

Back