Quad switching troubleshooting help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneFission

Reaction score
I got the Quad out for the first time in a while and the switching is still off. From what I gather, I'm in for some expensive parts, but lets start from the top.

The foot switch isn't doing anything. Not switching, not reflecting channel or eq selection. Unplugging the chord while the unit is on does toggle some of the logic on the unit at random. The cable tests continuity, but also tests cross wiring on pins 1 and 4, which I imagine can't be right.

For a while, I was fine running the Phillips-screw-driver in the R1 jack. Then the unplug toggle turned on other channels at surprisingly low levels. And then R1 was inaudible, as were the other channels, even when switched on. Dang.

Sounds like, at minimum, I need a replacement cable and, from past threads I fear, new Vactrols. Does that sound right? Or could any of the logic chips have gone bad?

Should I chase this stuff myself or just send it to Petaluma for a going over? (Does their bench charge cover parts?)

If your into the tech end and don't mind diving in then maybe you could,Some folks on here are and may be able to help further. Personally i'm not so into the tech end so I feel better just taking it to Boogie and knowing they had their hands on it.Their prices for service have always seemed very reasonable and I am nearby and don't have to do the shipping thing. If you have a reputable local Amp Tech guy you then you could go that route, I just hate to feel like someone is starting from scratch when working on my gear.
The Mesa site does have a list of authorized service centers might be something close by.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/rep_select_2.php

I've got a very similar sounding problem with my Quad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnsCuYdTIxQ

Good luck and if you ever get it fixed, let me know how. I got round it by building my own footswitch that plugs into the external switching jacks!

Ive had similar problems. At first my footswitch wouldnt correctly switch channels. Replacing the little IC chip fixed this but my output is very low now also.... on all channels. Its not preamp tubes, ive swapped in new ones and same problem. If anyone finds a solution or has any ideas lets hear it!

PS: Output is low even without the footswitch connected and with a jack shorting into the external switching jacks to select a channel.

Latest posts

Back