Price check on a hardwood IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeCee

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the Boogie Board. I usually hang out at Plexi Palace and TGP. A couple of threads over there aroused my interest in picking up a IIC+

There is a hardwood Simul-Class IIC+ in great shape available locally (Japan) for about $3000. Is this a good price or is that sort of the going rate? It has reverb and the EQ. I don't think it is the Export Transformer model--those have some kind of red switch on the back, right?

Thanks in advance!

$3000 is a bit high by today's standards, but not completely insane. Two years ago fully-loaded hardwood combos were going for that, and sometimes more.

In terms of value, it's important to know whether it's a factory C+ or an upgraded model. Factory or production C+'s will command a premium even though the circuitry is identical. The serial number will usually indicate this, but not always when dealing with serial numbers close to the crossover point between the IIC and the C+ productions. There is also a "loop test" that can confirm whether it's a C+. If you're serious about entering the C+ world, you MUST read this: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184&highlight=mark+iic

Also, is it a head or combo? If a combo, which speaker (usually either an EVM 12-L or Eminence MS-12).

I've also seen an export transformer model without the voltage switch. The way to be sure is the part number on the export transforrmer will begin with the letter "X".

I would expect anything like a collectible amp or guitar to be more expensive in Japan. But Dodger's advice is spot on. Become familiar with the charactistics, perform the loop test and take it for a test run. Check it out thoroughly BEFORE you buy it, 'cause if you discover it's fake AFTER you will not get your money out of it. Be especially alert for possible upgrades. An original will hold it's value, an upgrade will as well,but it will be worth much less. Both originals and factory upgrades should sound the same and will blow your socks off, the factory upgrade will not be as collectible (if at all)
Jim

the factory upgrade will not be as collectible (if at all)

I'm just curious - can you give me an example of the value of a typical original C+, as opposed to a Mark II C that was upgraded to a C+ a few years ago?

Can you send Mesa a Mark II B and have it modified to a C+?

Seems a little strange that there would be a large difference in price if the original and upgrades sound identical...

Combination said:
the factory upgrade will not be as collectible (if at all)

I'm just curious - can you give me an example of the value of a typical original C+, as opposed to a Mark II C that was upgraded to a C+ a few years ago?

Can you send Mesa a Mark II B and have it modified to a C+?

Seems a little strange that there would be a large difference in price if the original and upgrades sound identical...

I've seen original C+'s go from $ 600 to $ 4,800 good market or bad market. I doubt C+'s are too abundant in Japan so your
economy of scale is much different than the US market where some hard up fool will let his amp go for $1800.
A negotiable $ 3000 does not seem to bad considering the overseas C+ population export trans or not.

A IIB cannot be upgraded. It was only done when Mesa had the circuit boards in the mid 1980's.

Sonically a converted C+ should sound the same and cost less, but the same goes for resale.
It will always have a dumb stigma about being a converted amp and will only basically bring back what you paid.
Originality has it's place and it's price.

Dodger916 makes some very good points, but I generally don't listen to him anymore because he has the best sounding
IIC+ I have ever heard and he knows it !!! It may be a IIA Export C+ upgrade but it's priceless. :lol:

Thanks for all of the info!

Here are some photos. After checking out some other pages (including the long one on the IIC+), I guess it isn't an export transformer version. The serial number is 129xx, so, I'm guessing it was a IIC+ when it was made.

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851mhpjko.jpg

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851dhibh5.jpg

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851rko2be.jpg

LPClassic said:
Man very nice amp! congrats!!

I haven't got it yet. I've sent the seller a message hoping that we can work out some kind of side deal.

Wow! From the few pictures it looks pristine, and it has the EVM 12-L speaker, which was an upgrade. The serial number indicates it's a factory C+. Even the wicker grill looks brand new, but it could be a replacement.

If it checks out, $3k is a fair price, even in the U.S.. As others have said, these amps tend to be much more expensive outside the U.S., making the $3k a discounted price.

Here's a settings sheet if you demo it: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/settings.html. It's a good starting point. I keep my mids and bass about one number lower than the sheet, and I don't engage the two Pull Bright pots that often. And remember, the Volume 1 and Treble settings make a profound difference in the Lead channel.

It's hard to think of a musical genre that the C+ can't do well, and it's the feel as much as the tone.

PeeCee said:
Thanks for all of the info!

Here are some photos. After checking out some other pages (including the long one on the IIC+), I guess it isn't an export transformer version. The serial number is 129xx, so, I'm guessing it was a IIC+ when it was made.

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851mhpjko.jpg

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851dhibh5.jpg

nikyo76-img600x450-1269357851rko2be.jpg

As long as you can verify it, that amp is without a doubt a C+ Simul-EQ-Reverb Imbuya Combo. It can all be cross checked with
the factory build sheet that is hanging on the end of the power cord. You don't see them very often but all the info you need is
on that white checklist. It starts with the dating of the chassis and provides the initials of everyone who built the amp down to
the final burn in.

Do you have any internal shots of the circuit board ?

Boogiebabies said:
dodger916 said:
Boogiebabies said:
Dodger916 makes some very good points, but I generally don't listen to him anymore because he has the best sounding IIC+ I have ever heard and he knows it !!! :lol:
Whew! At least it's not something I said. :wink:

Ha !!! I have decided to name your amp for you. Cold Sweat....
So let it be done! After all, it was your magic touch that brought her back to life.

Back