Post your rig part 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wi2829.jpg

boss4 said:
Is that DBX in the rack a compressor,limiter/gate? For a long time I'm planning to use something similar in my setup but never tryed one. Is that pluged on the amp FX-Loop? What are your opinion on that gear on a guitar amp (I use to see it in studios)? By the way, nice rig, very clean and neat, I hope to buy a GCX router/ground control soon to make a similar "clean" rig. To bad axxess electronics went down on business, they were a good company!
Sorry for the late reply, I don't check these forums often enough. I'll have to rectify that.
Good eye. It is in fact a DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate. If you can't tell by the rig itself, I'm a big Petrucci fan (as I imagine many of the other forumers are). Most of my rig was based off of ideas of John's rigs over the last few years. The Mark IV was actually purchased while I was in search of a tone I loved, and I decided I wanted that Liquid Tension Experiment 2 lead no matter what it took, and the Mark IV was the amp used for that record.

That having been said, the 266XL is a fairly cheap compressor/gate. In other words, for additional money, you can get considerably nicer ones for your guitar rig, but this serves my purpose, as it has served John's over the last few years. I run mine in the front of the amp. The compressor is used for the cleans, and the gate is used for anything dirty. The compressor works nicely for the cleans. It really helps to level out the volume and keep things smooth...not so abrupt so to speak. As far as the gate is concerned, it does it's job, but beyond a certain point I feel that it takes away a lot of the desired crunch and grit of my Rhythm tone. When I back off the gate some (so it doesn't clamp off so quickly), I get my crunch back, but of course the gate doesn't kick on as early as I might often like it do. Definitely not 'djent' tones coming from this gate. At least not in my experience yet, though I haven't fiddled with it for more than 30 minutes or so. More experimenting may yield better results.

The GCX Switcher is definitely a great unit, and really easy to use with the Ground Control Pro. But depending on what exactly you're after, Axess is still a potential route. I see used Axess products on eBay all the time, often fairly affordable, too. If you require a bigger board than what the Ground Control Pro can provide for you, and are unable to find a used Axess FX-1, there is a company called Liquid Foot that makes a very comparable board. Make sure you check them out: http://www.famcmusic.com/

I hope all this helps. Good luck, and make sure you post pictures when you're done!

And thank you RectoStudioGuy. I'm very proud of this rig. It's taken me a long time to put together. I've recently replaced the Rocktron Xpression with a TC Electronic G-Major II.

Just got my Loop-Master Amp Switcher/Looper, which engages my Maxon OD808 whenever I switch to the dirty channel on my 95 Recto. Pretty cool.

Board-1.jpg

Great tower of tone there. I do find it hard to believe that the RK is the smallest head of the three though lol. Never realized how huge those Marshalls are. Which do you like the best? Those Tri Amps are BEAST.

-AJH

I call it the tower of GAS haha, yeah the Road King is by far the deepest and heaviest head though. Triamp's not bad but its a bit grainy and ice picky to me, the clean and crunch channels are awesome! but the gain channel is just grainy to my ears. I prefer the Road King the most by far! the Marshall does your typical marshall sound, first head i bought.

However all the gear is up for sale now, band just broke apart and i also came to the realisation im not a rock star and dont need that big off a bedroom rig hahah.. No matter how nice it is.

Xtravigent
Your MKIII rig with Mesa square grid 4x12's and G system looks sick!
Love the MKIII tones on my Quads and 295!

well, first post..new member. playing some mesa gear since 2004!

love the forum by the way and what a nice bunch of rig out there :mrgreen:

this is my Mesa rig..

What power amp do you have that recto pre going through, and how does it sound? It doen't look like a 2:100

100_1100.jpg

i'm new but i've recently gather my new rig and im totally lovin it.
so far i've traded of a car, a randall rg200 halfstack and and peavey ultra plus half stack
so that i can have my dream setup and im almost there :D

mesa dual recto el34
roadking 4x12
amp gizmo
yamaha gep-50
samson wireless
line 6 pod xt live
weeping demon wah
jacson dinky w/ duncan invader
fender aerodyne strat w/ duncan hot rails.

Roadifier said:
What power amp do you have that recto pre going through, and how does it sound? It doen't look like a 2:100

well, it's a simply Stereo 2:50. this poweramp sounds great, very *neutral* a lot of warmness and tightness and he's very powerful for a 50w stereo!

-sorry for my english.. euh? haha, see ya

DR 2 Channel Blackface Rev F. Serial #1350 :mrgreen:
Marshall JCM900 1960 Lead

Rig.jpg

Guitars:

1995 Seagul Electric Acoustic
1990 Ibanez RG 770
1988 Charvel
2011 Les Paul Studio
1999 Jackson Performer
1979 Vantage Les Paul

guitars.jpg

My old posting in part 1 of this thread isn't editable anymore, and the homepage of "that lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..." moved to another web space provider some time ago, so the pictures are not visible any longer. Here are some old and new pics:

Rehearsal room with Tokais LS120 and LS60, self-built Strat, Höfner Club 40, Fender Bassman, Marshall cab and Marshall JMP 50 plexi combo:
tokais+strat.jpg

tokais_focus.jpg

club40+ls120+strat.jpg

Marshall JMP 50 plexi combo:
marshall_front.jpg

marshall_back.jpg

Ibanez Musician, Strat and Luxor ES-335 copy:
musician+strat+335_small.jpg

Live rig with Mesa Boogie Mark IIb top, self-built EVM12L Thiele cab and Roland RE-501 Chorus Echo:
boogie+box.jpg
boogie_fehmarn1.jpg

fehmarn_buehne.jpg
re501_106.jpg

ls120_sounds.jpg

ls120_meisenfrei.jpg

At home:
ls120_zuhause.jpg

I used this setup with an additional omnidirectional mic in front of the cab for a pickup comparison on the Tokai forum some years ago, the clips are still available. And the Myspace profiles of my two bands also feature live videos and demo songs where I used this amp and these guitars.

rig.jpg

Signal Path:

Guitar to the pedalboard:

TC Electronic PolyTune
Custom Audio Electronics MC404 Dual Wah
Danelectro Chicken Salad Uni-Vibe (Modified)
Danelectro Fish & Chips 7-Band EQ
Xotic EP Booster
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive)
Xotic BB Preamp (Overdrive)
Wampler Super Plextortion (Distortion)

In the Loop:

TC Electronic Flashback Stereo Delay (Delay)
Line 6 M9 (Multi-Effects)
Hardwire RV7 Stereo Reverb (Reverb)

At the end of the line (Not on my main board):

MXR EVH Phaser (Phaser)
Hardwire CR7 Stereo Chorus (Chorus)
Hardwire DL7 Stereo Delay (Delay)

From here the stereo signal is split between the Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 1/12 Combo and the Fender Bandmaster VM head & a Marshall 4/12 Straight Cabinet with Celestion Greenbacks.
If I’m running just the Express (Mono), the Plextortion is the last pedal before the amp.

Here are the amps -

the Mesas -
IMG_9619.jpg

with the newly acquired Marshall Class 5 -
IMG_9617.jpg

with the board -
IMG_9618.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back