Possible Mark IIc+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I found a Boogie locally that is being claimed at a IIC+.

Serial is 7793.

Looking at the info around here, it seems to be too early to be a C+...

Am I right?

Thanks!

How many C+s were made? (I saw one estimate at about 1,500)
How many C+ Simul Classes were made?
What was the serial number of the first Simul Class?
When was the first C+ Simul Class made?

My C+ Simul Class was made in April of 1984 and the serial number is 12632. I think it must be one of the earliest.

i remember Ed once saying that he think's there might be no more than 700 ( maybe less) simlu class C+'s in the world.!!! thats why we are lucky...

Somewhere I read that there were approxomately 1,500 C+s and about 40% were the Simul Class versions. That would be about 600 then. I don't know of any hard figures though.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

Serial is 7793.

Am I right?

Thanks!

Part of answering your question is what do mean by a IIC+. If you are going by the strict from the factory IIC+ definition then you are right this is not a IIC+ since the serial numbers of these run from approximately 12500 - 15000. However there were many IICs that were converted to IIC+ and a very few IIBs that were also converted. The serial number of the amp you are looking at suggests that it originated as a IIB and as such it could have gone through the transformation. To know for sure you would have to get inside and look at the preamp board. Boogiebabies thread indicates that the preamp board would be either a RP11A or a SP11A (I am doing this from memory so please check this). There was even a IIA that was transformed into a IIC+. It was discussed in this thread.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=146594&highlight=#146594

While the thread would suggest it was not a IIC+ I believe the owner confirmed that it was through a conversation with Mike B.

If you are a collector you would be concerned with whether it was a "true" IIC+ or not. But if you were a collector you would already know this. If you are looking for the IIC+ tone then it may be worth following up on this amp and doing the effects loop test, look at the front panel for the proper pulls and then look inside for the proper preamp. Get pictures if you can and post. I am sure you will get a definitive answer if you do. You should note that a converted IIC+ is the exact same circuit as the factory originals assembled by the same folks that made the factory originals. One good thing about the transformed IIC+s is that you should be able to get one for somewhat less money than the factory original. Hope this helps.

Few more things I should mention...

It was initialed under the power chord...no plus over the chord though. Unless if it wore off...

Switch between 60 and 100 watts....a few pull shift knobs.

I'll just have to follow up, and see what I can dig up.

Any more input would be great!

P.S. What would you guys say a fair price to pay would be for a C+, if it should end up being one? What do they go for nowadays?

Blueracer said:
ibanez4life SZ! said:
Hey guys!

Serial is 7793.

Am I right?

Thanks!

There was even a IIA that was transformed into a IIC+. It was discussed in this thread.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=146594&highlight=#146594

While the thread would suggest it was not a IIC+ I believe the owner confirmed that it was through a conversation with Mike B.

If you are a collector you would be concerned with whether it was a "true" IIC+ or not. But if you were a collector you would already know this. If you are looking for the IIC+ tone then it may be worth following up on this amp and doing the effects loop test, look at the front panel for the proper pulls and then look inside for the proper preamp. Get pictures if you can and post. I am sure you will get a definitive answer if you do. You should note that a converted IIC+ is the exact same circuit as the factory originals assembled by the same folks that made the factory originals. One good thing about the transformed IIC+s is that you should be able to get one for somewhat less money than the factory original. Hope this helps.

I actully bought that IIA-> C+ (#4027) for around half the price of a production C+, and after putting a balanced Mullard 12AT7WA in the phase inverter (Doug's Tubes), it is absolutley amazing and the perfect amp for me. At first it was a bit tricky coaxing a great sound from it, but now there are nothing but great sounds. My Mk IV is turning an unmistakable shade of envy green. :x

I've heard Mike B say exactly what Blueracer wrote. So for me, saving well over a grand and getting "the sound" was worth more than the collectibility issue. Also, my C+ has an export transformer, which in Mike B's opinion is the most desireable tranny for the C/C+. I think that's really what swayed me to buy #4027, and I'm glad I did. :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Few more things I should mention...

It was initialed under the power chord...no plus over the chord though. Unless if it wore off...

Switch between 60 and 100 watts....a few pull shift knobs.

I'll just have to follow up, and see what I can dig up.

Any more input would be great!

P.S. What would you guys say a fair price to pay would be for a C+, if it should end up being one? What do they go for nowadays?

I'd say between $1,500 and $2,000 for a non-simul, loaded unit, depending on condition and degree of buyer motivation! As you may already know, it is no longer possible to upgrade a IIA or IIB to a C+, however Mike B can still install a graphic Eq but with Mark III faceplate. Perform the loop test to be sure.

Latest posts

Back