PodXT Live or EQ Pedal for Mesa Mark IIB?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHysteria

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been tweaking for the past few days and haven't gotten a really "WOW" distortion from this amp. I don't want to sell it yet, because it looks like it has a lot of potential, but when I plug and play my Vox Pathfinder 15R with cheap ZOOM GFX-1 guitar effects, it sounds so wicked and the drive models from that processor are so cool.

As for the Mesa, the bass makes it muddy, that's why I dialed it to 0-1. The mids haven't been doing anything crazy as well, so I've been keeping the treble up at around 7-even still, it's been too trebly.

Think I'll need a pedal?

It sounds like you have a IIB with no graphic EQ.
Basically, it's a high gain Fender and your eq settings are totally
normal as the tone contols come right after the first gain stage.
I really dont know how much gain you are going to get or are looking for from a IIB, but a graphic EQ in the loop will work wonders.

As far as digital modeling, your basically taking a pure guitar signal, putting it through a COSM chip or digital converter and then converting it back to an analog signal. A good modeling amp can be a good thing, but it does not have the passive interaction like tubes. They also dont have the restriction of how much clipping/overdrive/distortion that tube amps do. The technology has come a long way and has produced some amazing results, but tube purists and those who have grown up playing real tube amps will easily tell you that there is no substitution for a real tube amp. It really comes down to your preference. I can tell you that a lot of players that I have seen ripping on a modeling amp fall on there face when playing a tube amp because the interaction, gain and touch sensitivety are not as forgiving. A modeling amp with unreal amounts of gain and effects make it easier to play with a sloppier style and basically hide flaws in technique. Going from and SLO 100 or Recto model to the real thing are IMO, totally different. Not bad, bit they definately feel different. To be totally honest, when I record on one of my Mac's, I use Amplitube. It's easier to deal with and does not require isolation cabs, high volume, natural room variations and cabinet tuning. Live, it's all tube.
Other than a 300 watt Marshall Mode 4, I have never found a SS output that can put out high volume without mushing or getting ugly and shrill. I have killed most other amps using 4X12's that were both tube and SS with a 1X12 Boogie combo and 1X12 Thiele.

Hey there,

Well, I was considering an EQ pedal, maybe a BOSS? What will I expect from it? And yes I have notcied my playing wasn't as good as when I played on a solid state with the gutiar effects processor. But oh wells.

Will I get better distortion and overdrive? I really want to like this amp.....

The gain or volume on your Mark IIB clean channel directly effects the gain on the overdrive channel. Less gain on the clean = less gain on the overdrive.
The presence control in the back will have some tonal effect also.
I like all of the pull controls pulled. I set the tone controls up for a really sweet clean tone and have the clean gain around 7. The overdrive channel will get as wild as any other amp I've owned (however I've never owned a C+) if I crank on it.
The EQ will give you more variety and some gain.
Mine has EQ, I use it frequently so an EQ in the effects loop may really scream.

The next step is a C+, the Metal Nirvana tone monster........

Latest posts

Back