Pics of my custom finished Ibanez PGM-301

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_B

Reaction score
Here are pics of my refinished PGM-301 which I have dubbed "The Jester". I just received it back yesterday and the pictures don't do it justice. It's much more vivid and glossy in person.

I've got black (not cosmo) hardware and black pups (TZ, Pro Track and PAF Joe) waiting for it. The colors used are Loch Ness Green, Neon Orange, Desert Yellow and Black. I love all those colors and since I couldn't pick just one, I used them all. I went through about 2 dozen concepts in Photoshop before I settled on the final version.

The work was done by Sims Custom Shop. It took a little over 12 weeks to get done but there were extenuating circumstances. There's about 38 hours of labor in this paint job so it wasn't cheap but I feel it was worth it. I'm going to be sending him my other PGM301 for custom paint work as soon as possible.

The first 8 pics are of the final product. Follow this link to see the process it took to refinish it.

PGM301J_final000.jpg

PGM301J_final001.jpg

PGM301J_final002.jpg

PGM301J_final003.jpg

PGM301J_final004.jpg

PGM301J_final005.jpg

PGM301J_final006.jpg

PGM301J_final007.jpg

haha i don't know about that smiley face on the back but other than that it looks really sweet!!

Just for grins and giggles... I have an '89 USA Custom RG w/Maple neck and I'm very happy with the Duncan PATB-3 "Blues Saraceno" P/U. I noticed your P/U Choices and thought I'd suggest my findings with a similar guitar. Love the paint!

That's actually very eye-catching and different (in a good way.) You ought to send a few pics of that to Pablo Gilberto himself - I think he'd approve, especially of the smiley face on the back. I think the yellow smiley is a nice touch, given the in-your-face attitude of the finish.

Actually, I did send a link to the pics to PG himself and he replied:

"Excellent job! Paul".

That's good enough for me.

the work seems to be made perfectly, and it's surely eye-catching.
I like it, but when it comes to non-traditional finishes with a lot of colours like yours i prefer a more asymmetrical and random design rather than having a precise geometrical structure which makes it feel more static, i don't know if i give the idea... but it's all related to my tastes, you did a great work!

if you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? i'd love to refinish one of my guitars with some paint jobs i have in mind.

Back