Picking the perfect boogie...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks. I'm thinking its a fortune to send to mesa... Will it get lost/damaged on the trip... I'd be scared to send it. Probably drive there and drop it off an wait out front for as long as it took...camp out at mesa... Wow they should so sweet I don't think I would know a bad one of I heard it and kinda worried about getting sold something not as advertised...

As for that. Fear of shipment should not be an issue.
You remove the amp from the cabinet, remove the tubes, label position and ship. I am sure Mesa will support your efforts with the BKM for this activity, without busting the bank.

Mesa is so supportive, they are generally easier to deal with than the local shops that are authorized. Until you own one and work with them, it is hard to understand.

NomadExpress said:

Thanks. I'm thinking its a fortune to send to mesa... Will it get lost/damaged on the trip... I'd be scared to send it. Probably drive there and drop it off an wait out front for as long as it took...camp out at mesa... Wow they should so sweet I don't think I would know a bad one of I heard it and kinda worried about getting sold something not as advertised...

As for that. Fear of shipment should not be an issue.
You remove the amp from the cabinet, remove the tubes, label position and ship. I am sure Mesa will support your efforts with the BKM for this activity, without busting the bank.

Mesa is so supportive, they are generally easier to deal with than the local shops that are authorized. Until you own one and work with them, it is hard to understand.

Nice to know that.. Some places are just plain bad.

This is my first one. I waited forever for it. Just wasnt ever sure which one. They all wonderful and each one certainly has its own voice. Every Marshall jcm900 I played sounded the same. I guess that's why Marshall is Marshall and Mesa is KING of the Amps!

I saw a beautiful 1x12 extension cabinet... Nice but not needed (yet.)
I want a road case but that will come when needed...
Some casters would be nice...

There is one other option not mentioned: The Quad Preamp!

If your on a budget and happen to run across a cheap one, jump on it. I've run it through a Maverick and Nomad with great results. I have read about others running it through a Marshall power amp with good results as well.

I personally think the Mark V can get you close enough to the II C + sound your looking for. The Mark V works for me and provides me access to a lot more tonal options but the Quad is still a great choice.

Basically, given what you're looking for, I concur with what has been said already. Go with the Marks. Anything from IIc+ to V will get you close enough to the sound you have in your head.
For Metallica tones, you will want a model with the built-in GEQ (SimulClass and reverb won't hurt either but they're not as vital).

A combo box might not be the optimal choice, though. A halfstack will get you there much better. Buy a combo if you must but be aware that if you do, within a year you will be looking for an extension cab...

Which Mark?
They all have their pros and cons - mostly pros :D . But it seems to me, your mind's already set on a IIc+, and if that's what you're after, there can be no substitutes. Even Mark V, which has the complete IIc+ preamp circuit inside, doesn't quite succeed. Timbrally, it does get very, very close - but, ultimately, its tone is too even, too smooth. It lacks that special ringing, shimmering quality you can hear from a real Mark IIc+.

So, there you have it. If your budget allows for it and you can find one in decent shape, get the King of Marks. Being the most sought-after Mark amp, a Mark IIc+ will also be a solid investment.

LesPaul70 said:
Basically, given what you're looking for, I concur with what has been said already. Go with the Marks. Anything from IIc+ to V will get you close enough to the sound you have in your head.
For Metallica tones, you will want a model with the built-in GEQ (SimulClass and reverb won't hurt either but they're not as vital)..

Well ended up with a mark 3 combo with eq and reverb. Pretty sure it is the simul class series... And a blue stripe...

LesPaul70 said:
A combo box might not be the optimal choice, though. A halfstack will get you there much better. Buy a combo if you must but be aware that if you do, within a year you will be looking for an extension cab....

Yes absolutely correct! But wow that's a monster. Thinking that way only leads me to think I need to find a mark 2c coliseum model... 

So we went with the mark3 combo for now. And I have already stated looking for a extension cabinet like you said... Just a lot of choices and I'm not sure what to get... Im probably gonna try and find a matching extension. Or a thiele... But I heard that those thiele are very focused and that's not really what I'm after...

LesPaul70 said:
Which Mark?
They all have their pros and cons - mostly pros :D . But it seems to me, your mind's already set on a IIc+, and if that's what you're after, there can be no substitutes. Even Mark V, which has the complete IIc+ preamp circuit inside, doesn't quite succeed. Timbrally, it does get very, very close - but, ultimately, its tone is too even, too smooth. It lacks that special ringing, shimmering quality you can hear from a real Mark IIc+. .

Wow that is a very excellent summation of the mark 2c+..."that special ringing
, shimmering quality" is a perfect description...  +100

LesPaul70 said:
So, there you have it. If your budget allows for it and you can find one in decent shape, get the King of Marks. Being the most sought-after Mark amp, a Mark IIc+ will also be a solid investment.

Yep sounds like I have some more searching backs of music shops to find the legendary mark 2c...

The fun is the journey right?

Thanks again for all the help!! And excellent descriptions and advice...

My neighbors aren't going to be happy tonight when I turn the little monster on...

Crunch crunch crunch

The amp is the simple party of the journey! :lol:

The Cab is the killer!!!

4x10 vs 2x12 vs 4x12

The Nomad combo I used that Quad on was a 2 x 12 and the Maverick was a 4x10.

On the Mark V I decided on a head and finally went with the Recto 4x12 Slant.

Did I mention the different brands of speakers yet ........

Have fun, your journey is just beginning!!!

:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :p :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Psigh4 said:
The amp is the simple party of the journey! :lol:

The Cab is the killer!!!

4x10 vs 2x12 vs 4x12

The Nomad combo I used that Quad on was a 2 x 12 and the Maverick was a 4x10.

On the Mark V I decided on a head and finally went with the Recto 4x12 Slant.

Did I mention the different brands of speakers yet ........

Have fun, your journey is just beginning!!!

:D :) :( :eek: :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :p :p :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Simply overwhelmed with all the options and choices..

And your right there's lots of choices... And then the open back or closed back design...

Thinking there's alot of testin to be done...

Back