Picked up a Studio Pre... **And a 295**

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpm91

Reaction score
Not too many threads on this.. but I'll be picking up a Minty-mint Studio Preamp this weekend to add to the Mark III and IV.

From what I've read (please correct me at any time), there are two versions of the preamp: 12ax7 vs. 12at7 in the reverb slot. Is there anything else fundamentally different? Does one sound more IIC+ than a IV? Aren't AXs and ATs interchangeable anyway?

And finally, I should be able to run it through either power sections of my Marks (or even both for stereo) by way of the effects loop, correct?

And finally, I should be able to run it through either power sections of my Marks (or even both for stereo) by way of the effects loop, correct?
Yep, you definitely can.

Someone's having issues with getting a really clean tone, I don't know if it's related to the higher gain 12AX7 for reverb... mine's got a 12AT7 and I get a really nice clean which is actually clean

Damnit, haha i see you're from philly. Are you capitalizing on that amazing craigslist deal? I think i might have been 12 hours too late on that one haha

sicktght311 said:
Damnit, haha i see you're from philly. Are you capitalizing on that amazing craigslist deal? I think i might have been 12 hours too late on that one haha

Yup. Same thing happened to me in a Richmond, VA deal.... someone listed a short head Mark IVb and a 2x12 recto vert cab for $800. I missed it because I was short on cash.

bpm91 said:
sicktght311 said:

Yup. Same thing happened to me in a Richmond, VA deal.... someone listed a short head Mark IVb and a 2x12 recto vert cab for $800. I missed it because I was short on cash.

Same thing with me in the past with a triaxis. Was listed for $350 on Craigslist because "it doesnt have as much gain on the lead channels as it should so something is obviously wrong", which would have been a quick retube :) I was literally about 4 hours too late. Gahh, enjoy that studio pre, i would be taking it if you werent :)

Just picked it up! Very good condition. Has a bit of rack rash on the sides, top/bottom, but the face is mint as can be. Sweet transaction, cool guy, talked shop for a while.

I ran it from the Pre's Recording out through the front input of my Mark III and it sounds pretty good. But the issue becomes EQing as the overall output gets the EQ from the III and the Studio Pre.

Words of advice for hooking this thing up through amplifiers?

Not bad for $250.

Run the live outs (or at least one of them) to the effects loop return on the mark III. Set the studio pre to the tone you want, and enjoy the **** out of it :) You definately need to go to tthe effects loop return on the mark III though. Bypass the preamp all together. Keep in mind with the studio pre that it takes a LONG time to nail in a tone you like. The relation between how you set ch1 and how you set ch2 is so huge. It took me almost 5 months before i found a great compromise, but about a month after that i moved to the Mark IV hehe, now i'm going back to the studio pre though, but only for leads. I'll be using a recto pre for cleans and rhythms,

sicktght311 said:
Run the live outs (or at least one of them) to the effects loop return on the mark III. Set the studio pre to the tone you want, and enjoy the f%&# out of it :) You definately need to go to tthe effects loop return on the mark III though. Bypass the preamp all together. Keep in mind with the studio pre that it takes a LONG time to nail in a tone you like. The relation between how you set ch1 and how you set ch2 is so huge. It took me almost 5 months before i found a great compromise, but about a month after that i moved to the Mark IV hehe, now i'm going back to the studio pre though, but only for leads. I'll be using a recto pre for cleans and rhythms,

Thanks for the info... I'll try it tonight. The way I have it fed into the Mark III gives me some killer leads without the GEQ. I could easily grab another tone from the GEQ. However, the Cleans are ho hum currently... haven't dialed it in like the balls of the Mark III's power section They are currently weak, like the Channel 1 of the Rectoverb I had. Passable, but not preferable.

I usually had my EQ in the classic V mode for my clean tones on my studio pre. I played that rig for almost 15 years. It's a great machine.

Scott

scottywompas said:
I usually had my EQ in the classic V mode for my clean tones on my studio pre. I played that rig for almost 15 years. It's a great machine.

Scott

Well holy crap, the Studio Pre into the effects loop of my Blue Stripe Mark III, driving the combo's EV and my Halfback sound AMAZING.

I did some terrible recordings... I need to polish up on those skills. Either way, this is:

For Shiz and Giggles:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6485925

Overture 1928 (Terrible:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6485922

Update:

The guy I bought the Studio Pre from had a Simul 295 power amp. So I bought that too... included a 6space rack case. For $400. **** clean, controls on front, 6l6s were replaced with =C='s.

In its entirety, I spent $650 for the Pre and Power-amp. Ran it through the Thiele and sounds like the signature Mark tone. As it is late, I haven't been able to goose it.

bpm91 said:
Update:

The guy I bought the Studio Pre from had a Simul 295 power amp. So I bought that too... included a 6space rack case. For $400. **** clean, controls on front, 6l6s were replaced with =C='s.

In its entirety, I spent $650 for the Pre and Power-amp. Ran it through the Thiele and sounds like the signature Mark tone. As it is late, I haven't been able to goose it.

That is a screaming deal. You chose wisely. You will have all the head room you will ever need with that power amp, awesome cleans. You can also melt faces on your Studio Pre lead channel. Have fun. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back