Petrucci: Old V. New tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
What do you guys like best? I was just listening to old LTE stuff and I have to say his tone back in those days was far superior to what he's got now!

Did he use the Ibanez and Mark IV back then? Cause if so he should've stayed put.

What do you guys think?

he was using the mark II c+ and ibanez up to LTE... then the Ernie ball and C+, the C+ stayed on through six degrees... then for train of thought it was road kings, stayed with them for octavariaum, then mark 4 for sytematic chaos and now the C+ again for the new one (but the last 2 albums saw the use of BFR guitars too) and he's been using baritone models since 6 degrees.

those are the primary amps used.. i wouldnt doubt him using other ones for added parts on the albums but the main rockin parts are thouse listed. oh and clean amps are the lonestart since octavarium i think... not sure before that (i'll figure it was a mark amp)

Did you guys know there's a Petrucci Tone subforum in the Rigs and Tones section? :wink: Check it out...!

No, LTE was still Ibanez, right after the 2nd album he started wroking with ernie ball... the prototypes for EBMM were used on tour for SFAM.. and probalby on the album..

honestly he probably did use the triaxis with LTE, I am aware only that his favorite amp is his C+'s and showed up on all the albums (minus the recto ones) if only for certain tones.. I am just going on what ive read, and pics ive seen... (the next time i see him at bed bath and beyone I'll ask)

:)

He used the Triaxis on the first LTE and the Mark IV on the second LTE album. I like his tone on Acid rain alot, but my favorite is Dance of Eternity from SFAM, which was Mark IIC+ , and the last album he used Ibanez's on.

I like the ebmm jp, I also own one, but I must say that I would really like to try one of his ibanez guitars

I think....well to me...his tone on the new album is killer. I like all of his tones because each album is different in its own way for his sound.

I think all of his tones are great. Acid Rain off the second LTE album is one of my favourites, but also SFAM and Systematic Chaos because of their different Mark flavours.

Did he ever have a sig guitar with Ibanez?

he certainly did have a sig ibanez... pretty cool if you ask me too.

the guitar was an RG styel.. with 4 different "picasso" graphics...

http://www.jpmregister.com/

that site will tell it better than i can... you want more google ibanez JPM

it had steve's special and air norton... then he made tweaked versions of those for the ebmm guitar

dmcguitar said:
he certainly did have a sig ibanez... pretty cool if you ask me too.

the guitar was an RG styel.. with 4 different "picasso" graphics...

http://www.jpmregister.com/

that site will tell it better than i can... you want more google ibanez JPM

it had steve's special and air norton... then he made tweaked versions of those for the ebmm guitar

Wow, I had no idea they tracked those guitars. Thanks for the link! Someone had told me that Petrucci used the Steve's Special but I haven't been able to find much info on that (mostly for lack of research). When did he switch to the D-Sonic?

a couple years ago when the BFR ebmm's came out is when he started using the D-sonic.. it was originally just for those since they had a few different woods in the body (and he wanted a new pickup that worked with the combo) and that eventually led to him replacing is custom tweaked SS in the standard model to the off the shelf D-sonic in the standard guitars.

i played the old pick up years ago when the guitar originally came out (so i dont really remember) and the d-sonic in a newer guitar (which sounded like someone dropped it.. or the wiring was bad cause all it did was hum) so i can't make an accurate comparison... i have the dimarzio SS in 3 of my guitars though. 1 is basswood.. and i like it :)

musicmanjp6 said that the d sonic was really nice in the BFR (seems to go better with the use of the "tone" woods) but didnt do the standard basswood guitar justice. (please MMJP6 correct me or elaborate)

and mr fingers, if you havnet already looked it up, its an alder body, with a mahogany "tone block" in the middle of the guitar with a maple cap for Petruccis BFR guitars. the neck was usually Mahogany, but now they are offering Rosewood necks as well, and the fingerboard is always rosewood

they started putting the d-sonic in the jp in 2006.
I have a LE 2006 and it has a d-sonic

dmcguitar said:
i played the old pick up years ago when the guitar originally came out (so i dont really remember) and the d-sonic in a newer guitar (which sounded like someone dropped it.. or the wiring was bad cause all it did was hum) so i can't make an accurate comparison... i have the dimarzio SS in 3 of my guitars though. 1 is basswood.. and i like it :)

Aye, my first soldering project was putting the SS in my Schecter. Such an improvement over the Duncan JB. I've never been happier with my tone (also mostly the Mark IV 8) ). I wonder what kind of tweaks were done to the pickup? Might messing with the height of the hex screws tune it just right...

dmcguitar said:
a couple years ago when the BFR ebmm's came out is when he started using the D-sonic.. it was originally just for those since they had a few different woods in the body (and he wanted a new pickup that worked with the combo) and that eventually led to him replacing is custom tweaked SS in the standard model to the off the shelf D-sonic in the standard guitars.

musicmanjp6 said that the d sonic was really nice in the BFR (seems to go better with the use of the "tone" woods) but didnt do the standard basswood guitar justice. (please MMJP6 correct me or elaborate)

and mr fingers, if you havnet already looked it up, its an alder body, with a mahogany "tone block" in the middle of the guitar with a maple cap for Petruccis BFR guitars. the neck was usually Mahogany, but now they are offering Rosewood necks as well, and the fingerboard is always rosewood

Hummm,not all JP BFR's have rosewood fingerboards.
Here are a couple with Ebony!
My Loaded JP7 has a All rosewood neck..
I don't even own a regular JP BFR but i am looking for one with a beautiful Quilt top.
Richb

I just listen to Falling into infinity Live stuff and the lead tone is MOST defiantly a C+ and its Tone IS THE BEST! So organic and responsive. Hear it ! i bet all you other C+ guy's will agree!

Latest posts

Back