Perfect cab for a Stiletto Duece?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owen!

Reaction score
Im looking for a new cab. I love the traditional cab but I can't afford it due to mesa prices in au. The Marshal 1960a does a reasonable job IMO, but I've only used one a couple of times.
Has anyone tried a vintage marshal cab?
I'm not a high gain sort of guy, I prefer a raw sort of sound.
At the moment I've got a Celestion Messiah Series cab atm but I find it too mellow.
Thoughts anyone?
Love Owen

I've got an early 70's marshall 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12-65's - I'm really happy with the sound but I have never heard my amp through another cab so it's hard to give a definitive opinion on it.

My Favorite cabs are 4x12's, but I can't drag those around anymore, so I suggest a Port City Wave Cab. They are full sounding and loud. Experiment with speakers as each person's ears will differ. Here's mine:

DSCN0273.jpg

It currently has a Swam Thing and a Cannabis Rex in it, but I may replace the Swamp Thing with Scumback or a Celestion Gold, we'll see. I'm going to play around with this combo for a while. With this cab, the bass on the Stilletto came alive. With these speakers, I was able to turn up the Treble and Prescence, which the V30 Celestions' won't let you do....Anyway, have fun experimenting..... 8)

When you say vintage, I'm not sure if you mean an early marshall cab, or the 1960AV cabs...I briefly owned a marshall 1960AV cab and I was not thrilled with it at all. The construction seemed really cheap, and I felt like my orange cabinet had better construction and over all sound. I recently landed a 69' marshall cabinet (it came with vintage 30's, not prerola's) and I was really impressed by the cabinet. I have heard people say that early marshall cabs were constructed better and sound better ect...but I had a lot of skepticism...However, I can say that the construction on the 69' cab is sooo much better than the construction and sound of the newer marshall cabinets (i've owned a jcm9001960a, 1960b, jcm8001960a, and a 1960AV). The 69 cab is really resonant and full, much like my orange cab. Now I just need to track down some preRola's and a Stiletto Deuce!

I'm looking at the marshall with the tweed cover, I think its th AV one. But really I just want a better cab because every cab that I've played through sounds better than the celestion that I have now.
Maybe I'll look into orange cabs, I've heard good things about them. Except that they're real heavy. I guess that's why they sound good.
Thanks everybody! :)

Back