Pedalboard or modeler with Mesa Mark IIB?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHysteria

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting to plan out my rig, but I am pretty indecisive and need some advice. When I plug my guitar straight into the Mark IIB, I don't really like the lead drive. The distortion leaves me unsatisfied, while the cleans are good with most settings. My IIB doesn't have a slider eq.

Therefore, I am looking for some overdrive/distortion/boost pedal/modeler to spice up my amp. I like versatility and Marshall crunch along with Mesa Rectifier drive, therefore I am considering a modeler, such as a Line 6 PodXT Live.

As for building my own pedalboard I see you may be able to create your own sound. I was looking at the Line 6 Uber-metal, Marshall Guvnor, Rocktron Zombie Rectifier Dist., etc. The sound clips were good.

Should I go for a modeler to get amp models or use a pedalboard and have a distinct and unique overdrive through the Mark IIB? Would I be able to sound like a Mesa Rectifier by using a pedal instead of a modeler?

Some things to consider because my Zoom GFX-1 needs to be upgraded.

Bring your amp along when you shop for your pedal. Just keep plugging different pedals in until you find the right one or combination of pedals.
Tone is an individual thing, so you have now started your Quest :)

If I want to speak to the Unchained Heavy Metal Lords I put my old Peavey Rockmaster into service.......With the gain of the Rockmaster and the gain of the Boogie I can't count the gain stages :twisted:

I have a Mk IIB (no graphic EQ)& love the clean sound, I also like the brown sound I get from the lead channel with the gain pulled.

That said, when I need a versatile rig, with lots of different sounds, I use a Vox ToneLab SE run into the FX return of the amp. I use lots of different amp models, but usually disable the cabinet modeling. The Boogie’s pre-amp is bypassed, but the master volume on the front of the amp still functions, so I do have global volume control. Works well for me.

Mine is a single 12" combo, I have run it through a no-name 4X12, & I like that better! I may need to get one for myself...

D

Dirt123 said:
I have a Mk IIB (no graphic EQ)& love the clean sound, I also like the brown sound I get from the lead channel with the gain pulled.

That said, when I need a versatile rig, with lots of different sounds, I use a Vox ToneLab SE run into the FX return of the amp. I use lots of different amp models, but usually disable the cabinet modeling. The Boogie’s pre-amp is bypassed, but the master volume on the front of the amp still functions, so I do have global volume control. Works well for me.

Mine is a single 12" combo, I have run it through a no-name 4X12, & I like that better! I may need to get one for myself...

D

Cool, I was thinking about using a Line 6 Podxt Live though. Everything seems to be in there, but I don't know. Some pedals sound pretty cool, should I go with both?

And by the way, what's 'no frills' in your sig?

TheHysteria said:

And by the way, what's 'no frills' in your sig?

No eq, no reverb. Nuthin fancy!

P.S. Sometimes, I do use my old Wah with the ToneLab.

WOuld using a PodXT Live hinder the tone on the Mark IIB? I mean, it's a good amp. I heard the Line 6 Podxt Live does not have a true bypass and currently I like my Mesa clean channel. I don't want that to change significantly besides adding effects. The tone on the clean is nice.

It's just the lead channel I am trying to polish. I add bass on my clean channel, but I can't add too much bass on my Mark IIB because it sounds pretty 'messy'. I usually dial down the bass to zero when I switch to a lead channel.

A pro the XT Live has is that it's really simple and convenient. I don't like the weight of the Mark IIB. (How much does a IIB weigh anyway? Seems pretty heavy.) I sometimes want to go to practice carrying very few things. And recording would probably be good on computer.

If I decide to take the pedal route, the pedals I am currently interested in building on for now are: Vox Wah, Danelectro EQ, some kind of delay and perhaps a boost or overdrive as well if I really need better distortion. I'll have to limit my pedals because I don't want to carry so many.

The XT Live offers a lot of stuff I can fool around with.

Back