New (to me) Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'59fatburst

Reaction score
About two weeks ago, I picked up a 1983 Mark IIB. This one is almost a stripper model. 60 watts with reverb in a black combo and nothing else. I don't normally go for Marks without the GEQ and I generally prefer 100 watts for the added fullness. Funny thing, this amp sounds outstanding! Very full cleans with highs that "pop" but aren't strident. The overdrive is smooth and rich sounding and can do the typical Boogie velvet overdrive as well as some convincing "D" style tones. It also seems lighter (even with a 12L).

This amp seems to have more gain than what I'm used to (with the exception of my old IIB+ loop mod amp). Is this something that is consistent with the IIB's at the end of their run or is it because the missing GEQ adds to the gain level.

My 60W 1983 w/ GEQ has loads of gain on tap. I was shocked how much there is. It’s also incredibly fast and punchy, at least subjectively. Supposedly the 60W have that characteristic, but I’ve not played any others to compare. The tail end of the MKIIB seem rather special to me, and there was no way a IIC variant was in the budget.

@jmf1928 They’re great amps and your comments are spot on. The 60w’s breakup sooner and are thinner/brighter sounding than their 100/60w counterparts.

As for the tonal differences of the IIB run, the early ones are warm, a lot of bass and loose. As the run progressed it became tighter, more gain & compression.

Out of the IIB’s I’ve owned (RP-8C HRGX, SP-8B SG, & RP-9C DRG), I prefer the RP-9C DRG. It is interesting how it shares some of the characteristics of the IIC+ but it definitely has its own charm/thing going on.

If I were after IIC+ tone on a budget, I’d be looking at the IIB’s. IMHO they’re undervalued. At their current going rate, one could be drinking champagne on a beer budget.

RPN-C SRGX here. There’s even a bit more gain on tap running a patch cable through the loop as well if I recall.

RPN-C SRGX here. There’s even a bit more gain on tap running a patch cable through the loop as well if I recall.
Plan is to loop mod the SG and DRG. The HRGX was loop modded by Mike a few years back. The mod definitely added some gain.

Back