Own a Handwired Rivera Knucklehead. Time for Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach1andy

Reaction score
I bought a Rivera Knucklehead 100 watter plus a 4 X 12 cabinet from a guy about 10 months ago out here in Los Angeles who said the following:

It was a handbuilt amp by Paul Rivera Sr. (the guy who started the company, who used to design amps for Fender, etc). It has a factory mod for more gain and more bass (it has 4 channels really with a boost for each channel) and it is in blue tolex.

I was told it was $4800 new. I paid less than that but now I'm starting to get sick of taking the head and a Thiele cab that I bought with an EV 12L speaker everywhere (the 1X12 cab doesn't sound quite right with that head).

I want something versitile that isnt going to be regretted. I play rock, jazz and blues mostly. My website is www.andyalt.com for more samples of my playing...

Would you reccommend trading the Rivera half stack for a Mark IV combo? Any other Boogie Product?

Lastly, I own a Studio .22 from the mid 1980s. Its a great amp and I have a vintage 30 in it as well as a master lead mod so I can adjust the volume of both channels separately. So I am familliar with boogie's sound a little. Is a Mark IV a big step up? Give me some opinions! :)

Thanks-
Andy

I have a MKIV now; actually I've been using it for years and I'm not unhappy with it, but I have to say that I've had a few Rivera's in the past and they were great. I had an R30, an R55, and M60, and a duo-12 and they all had really great clean channels. The crunch channels always sounded very Marshally to me. Not a bad thing, just a thing. The cleans though were nice with the best sounding reverb's I've ever heard.

Playin' jazz, rock, and blues? You really have to plug into the Lonestars (the classic and the special) before you buy.

Andy, I get nothing but errors when I click on the audio links. Left click dos nothing right click errors out.

Mach1andy said:
I bought a Rivera Knucklehead 100 watter plus a 4 X 12 cabinet from a guy about 10 months ago out here in Los Angeles who said the following:

It was a handbuilt amp by Paul Rivera Sr. (the guy who started the company, who used to design amps for Fender, etc). It has a factory mod for more gain and more bass (it has 4 channels really with a boost for each channel) and it is in blue tolex.

I was told it was $4800 new. I paid less than that but now I'm starting to get sick of taking the head and a Thiele cab that I bought with an EV 12L speaker everywhere (the 1X12 cab doesn't sound quite right with that head).

I want something versitile that isnt going to be regretted. I play rock, jazz and blues mostly. My website is www.andyalt.com for more samples of my playing...

Would you reccommend trading the Rivera half stack for a Mark IV combo? Any other Boogie Product?

Lastly, I own a Studio .22 from the mid 1980s. Its a great amp and I have a vintage 30 in it as well as a master lead mod so I can adjust the volume of both channels separately. So I am familliar with boogie's sound a little. Is a Mark IV a big step up? Give me some opinions! :)

Thanks-
Andy

Sorry but I hate Quicktime....I will NOT load that piece of crap, intrusive, apple below par lifeform on my PC. Not until they unbundle the evil ITunes.

Mach1andy said:
you have to have quicktime to listen to the audio clips... :)

TheRazMeister said:
Sorry but I hate Quicktime....I will NOT load that piece of crap, intrusive, apple below par lifeform on my PC. Not until they unbundle the evil ITunes.

Mach1andy said:

So what do you think of Windows Media and Real Player?

I find both more disgusting than QuickTime.

BTW: Unbundled

What's wrong with Windows Media player? You can easily opt out of just about everything and it plays DVD, music, MPG, etc. Plus it allows you to re-size windows alot easier than the Apple or the even worse Realplayer.
My only complaint about WMP is that you get an occasional codec error...other than that, the product is great. I'm of the opinion that Apple products are the single most overrated technology items available. (well, maybe except for Intel) The IPod concept and the monies spent on it are ridiculous. Proprietary = evil....

BTW - thanks for the link..if no iTunes....I load :lol:

nocluejimbo said:
TheRazMeister said:

Mach1andy said:

So what do you think of Windows Media and Real Player?

I find both more disgusting than QuickTime.

BTW: Unbundled

Try a different cab! A 2x12
Don't get rid of the amp!!!
Rivera is quality, and you will lose money trading ...
Are the clips from that amp, and what cab?
What's wrong with the thiele, to much bass, not enough, or no breakup because of the speaker in it?

btw quicktime isn't evil, but itunes is!!!

I liked the rock clip.

Latest posts

Back